Dish networks HDTV in a box?

Mikeyr

Original poster
Dec 20, 2003
Has anybody heard what brand of TV's dish is using in their HDTV in a box deal? I heard on another forum that they were RCA's, a 34" direct veiw and a 40" rear projection anybody know what models they are?

They are indeed RCA and I would HIGHLY suggest you buy a HDTV elsewhere as RCA HDTV's are simply crap (quality and visually wise)! And these HDTV's are proprietary so if you stop using Dish Network service the HDTV is useless!

I know I am spoiled with my HDTV (58" Pioneer) but even so I thought the RCA's (both 34" & 40") were very unimpressive and NOT able to give the WOW factor High Def usually tends to deliver.

There are others (Rolltide) who have a different opinion so I guess the best thing for anyone considering it is to visit a local retailer who has these HDTV's setup. I would suggest that no matter what HDTV you are looking for as YOU are the one who has to live with it so in the end the ONLY opinion that matters is your own.

Granted the RCA is no Tosh, Sony or Philips - BUT , since I can't get another 811 anyway until after the new year (except with Scott!) - and having to pay $399..

And you can't touch a 34" monitor for at least $1200

$999 for the deal today as our second HDTV (I went with 34") worked out for me. I've had no probs with the RCA's I've owned..

As well, I've been with Dish for over 4 years problem free - and don't anticpate any change in providers anytime soon..

Since the RCA tv's have a Dish logo on them wouldn't that make them covered under the $1.99/mo. warranty? Also I have been hearing on this board about how they will not let you order an 811 unless you buy the HD tv bundle. If they had some larger HD tv's and the $1.99/mo. warranty would cover the tv then I would consider buying it even if it had an RCA logo, as long as I would not have to have the tv shipped out to get serviced, if someone came out to do it, which may require the $4.99/mo. warranty.

Stargazer said:
Since the RCA tv's have a Dish logo on them wouldn't that make them covered under the $1.99/mo. warrany

Corporate said they are covered under Warranty. That's why I don't feel so bad getting a 34 inch RCA

That warranty is nice for sure, but to me it's not much good to have a good warranty on a HDTV that is subpar on the performance end. They won't warranty a HDTV that puts out a bad picture.

fslove said:
That warranty is nice for sure, but to me it's not much good to have a good warranty on a HDTV that is subpar on the performance end. They won't warranty a HDTV that puts out a bad picture.

Why do you keep putting down the tv ?

ROLLTIDE said:
Although their reports are sometimes questionable, I do trust the readers of a "leading consumer magazine" and their 74,000 result survey (of 25/27 inch analog TVs, not HDTVs, from 1998-2003) "that were ever repaired or had a serious problem that wasn't resolved."

No brand is listed as having a worse repair record than RCA.

A warranty isn't much value if the product is poorly designed or has quality issues - repairs can't help a "dud" become a "stud".

ROLLTIDE said:
fslove said:

Because I have seen both TV's and to me I don't think they are good at all! I am a Dish retailer and have seen them setup at the Chicago Echosphere distribution office and they even let me calibrate them (I calibrate HDTV's as part of my computer/home theater business) to see if they could be made to look better and they still looked bad!

I may be spoiled with a higher end HDTV but the RCA's are just not nice looking at all to me. For those who don't care much for video quality I guess these TV's will suffice.

Before I even read in Consumer Reports about RCA (and GE which happens to be the same manufacturer anyways) being the worst companies when it comes to reliability, I had issues with their RCA televisions and then talked to others that had the same problems. I experienced these problems myself and so have others.

I do have a GE tv myself that we have had for about three or four years now and we have had no trouble out of it so I guess we have been lucky since it was rated the worst.

It does not mean that you will have trouble with your tv if you buy RCA, it just means you will be more likely for you to have trouble with it, your odds increase when buying RCA or GE.

The question is, will a repairman come to your house to repair the tv if something goes wrong with it? Would that be covered under a $4.99 warranty since I would think they would make you send it in under the $1.99 warranty?

Spoke with Christina at the Executive Office of Soraya Cartwright - the TV is covered only by the TV's mfg warranty - you can buy the extended coverage for the 811 only..

She did say, that you can return the TV and 811 within 30 days (you pay for freight) and get a refund on the whole promo if not satisfied..

There is too much of a conflict here. Someone needs to get an email received from Dish Network stating that it is in fact covered that way if something does happen and they try to say it isnt, you have the email to prove that it is. Doesn't the warranty state that anything with a Dish Network logo is covered and does not restrict televisions? I bet it also says that they can change that at any time.

I need to add to the RCA issue. The two TV's in question are of the lowest quality available. They are cheaply made with cheap parts and the picture quality is far below that of other HD sets out there in the low end.

Buyer beware. Just a friendly heads up.

I love all this bashing of these TVs. Not because I hate RCA or Dish, but because the more people bash these TVs, the less people will take this deal; the less people take the deal, the longer they will offer the deal or simply lower the price; the longer they offer the deal, the more these TVs will fall in price as everything in electronics constantly falls in price(although I don't see the 811 getting cheaper than the $149 currently offered).

That being said, I do know absolutely nothing about TVs, NOTHING. However I do know this. The cheapest WIDESCREEN 16:9 HDTV that I have see besides this was $1200. With this deal, they are in effect selling the TV for $850(with no further committment beyond the $149 811 committment deal). That's quite a difference in price. I'm one that will gladly take the less product a few notches from the top for discount. This is almost a 30% less than most 16:9 HDTVs. YOU WILL ALWAYS PAY MORE THAN YOU SHOULD WHEN YOU INSIST ON THE TOP BRAND, especially when it must be sooner rather than later.

jeffwtux said:
I love all this bashing of these TVs. Not because I hate RCA or Dish, but because the more people bash these TVs, the less people will take this deal; the less people take the deal, the longer they will offer the deal or simply lower the price; the longer they offer the deal, the more these TVs will fall in price as everything in electronics constantly falls in price(although I don't see the 811 getting cheaper than the $149 currently offered).

That being said, I do know absolutely nothing about TVs, NOTHING. However I do know this. The cheapest WIDESCREEN 16:9 HDTV that I have see besides this was $1200. With this deal, they are in effect selling the TV for $850(with no further committment beyond the $149 811 committment deal). That's quite a difference in price. I'm one that will gladly take the less product a few notches from the top for discount. This is almost a 30% less than most 16:9 HDTVs. YOU WILL ALWAYS PAY MORE THAN YOU SHOULD WHEN YOU INSIST ON THE TOP BRAND, especially when it must be sooner rather than later.

:D :) Very well said :)

Perhaps there is a common component in these RCA tv's that is going bad. If you can get enough of a discount on these tv's perhaps the difference in price (cheaper price) would more than make up for the cost of repair. If not its not worth the price, especially if the picture quality is not up to par with the other HD televisions out there. To me its not worth getting something that is cheaper if you are not getting a good picture quality and if the tv ends up costing you more after paying repair bills than what another major brand tv may cost that may have a better picture quality and be more reliable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)