DISH Network’s ViP722k receiver only outputs 1080i with 1080p VoD

Thank you for your work TonyT, but I think the issue remains unsolved.

As previously pointed out Hubble is not being rented as oris labeled as a “3D movie”. The movie was originally 3D while it was at theIMAX. Its official title is, “IMAX: Hubble 3D” IMAX: Hubble 3D (2010) - IMDb.So, as far as Dish and the issue at hand are concerned it is the 1080p VoD versionthat matters.

"You are ordering a 3Dmovie (1080P) which the receiver does not support, which is likely why you arehaving an issue. Not an equipment specific issue due to the fact that thereceiver does not support 3D, which means it is likely defaulting you back to theother Hubble offering, in 1080i." - TonyT

How can a 1080p movie “default” back to 1080i? Since I am rentinga movie labeled as “HD 1080p” (NOT “SD” or “HD”, which are the other two versionsoffered out of a total of three) would not the default format be the format Iam renting?

"(because the 'Hubble'problem and 'Skyline' problem are not related)." - TonyT

If you can speak to what the issue is with the Skyline 1080pDish Cinema offering and why it displays 1080i and not 1080p when purchased assuch it would be greatly appreciated. I mean SEOURLSY appreciated! :) Thanks again and I look forward to a resolution.

It says 3D in the title, and you mentioned it was 3D (in the title) on your post. If that is not a correct statement, then please advise that you posted it wrong. The fact that it does say 3D in the title on DISH Cinema, and does not say it on the 501 channel means that the title is different for a reason (one is actually 3D and one is not, and they are the same movie in case you are wondering). The rest of the issue still remains answered by the fact that the only supported 1080P movie on your receiver (anything less then the VIP922) is Tron, so the issue is still resolved. Again, I do not assume that you are happy with the answer, but in fact it is still the answer.

To be much clearer, I have the updated ENGINEERING list on VOD and supported resolutions by receiver model. That is the source of this information, and the ONLY 1080P content supported on this rotation of VOD for your receiver is Tron. I would assume this is 'formatted' for the receivers' varying software.

Last edited:
TonyT...no sir, I beg your pardon, but the issue remains. After renting HD 1080p Skyline I downloaded it to my 722k’s hard drive. So, there are now two 1080p movies on my hard drive, no? Why does only one of them display in1080i?

I should mention again that it is the VoD version that does not and this is consistent with every VoD 1080p movie downloaded. Additionally, not one, but two Dish on-site technicians (amazing techs, by the way) verified this with their own eyes while using my equipment with their own hands.

It says 3D in the title, and you mentioned it was 3D (in the title) on your post. If that is not a correct statement, then please advise that you posted it wrong.
Please excuse me, but what? You would like me to post that I was wrong to use the official title of one of the movies in question?

I’m sill kindly awaiting a resolution.

If the title says 3D then it is in 3D and not only requires a VIP922 to watch, but a capable 3D TV.

I will forward to the engineers your wish to see more 612/622 model family (which includes the 722K) content delivered in 1080P, and also request that 3D capabilities come to those platforms as well.

You mentioned there was one 1080P title on the guide (channel 501) which you could order and view in 1080P. This is consistent with the one title available to the receiver (722K) to be viewed in 1080P. Most, if not all, DISH Cinema titles can only be viewed in 1080P by the VIP922 (but the listings are universal for VIP receivers). The IMAX Hubble 3D title on DISH Cinema is in fact the same movie as the Hubble title on the guide. The difference is that the one in DISH Cinema is 3D as it was in the IMAX and the other is HD as it would be viewed on the majority of TVs that are not 3D capable.

I’m sill kindly awaiting a resolution.

I Googled on your first line in your original post, "I’m a recent DISH Network subscriber who came over to them from DirecTV, Inc. I am very pleased with DISH in almost every " and see that you posted the same "issue" on many web sites near simultaneously - not after finding you were not getting the answer(s) that you wanted. The sites you posted to include the "regular" Dish forums, but also others.

I've never heard of that being done previously and it would seem a strange way to seek meaningful assistance.

It says 3D in the title, and you mentioned it was 3D (in the title) on your post. If that is not a correct statement, then please advise that you posted it wrong. The fact that it does say 3D in the title on DISH Cinema, and does not say it on the 501 channel means that the title is different for a reason (one is actually 3D and one is not, and they are the same movie in case you are wondering). The rest of the issue still remains answered by the fact that the only supported 1080P movie on your receiver (anything less then the VIP922) is Tron, so the issue is still resolved. Again, I do not assume that you are happy with the answer, but in fact it is still the answer.

To be much clearer, I have the updated ENGINEERING list on VOD and supported resolutions by receiver model. That is the source of this information, and the ONLY 1080P content supported on this rotation of VOD for your receiver is Tron. I would assume this is 'formatted' for the receivers' varying software.
It isn't titled 3D by Dish. The graphic from the presentation is IMAX HUBBLE 3D but the dish title is ONLY Hubble. So it is neither IMAX or 3D. Now it is 1080p but the price for I & P are the same for HD. So the issue could it be that both I & P have been either switched or both accidentally are I.

I see what you are saying (and that some of it is fueled by misinformation) but please understand that I am telling you the correct information with regard to the 1080P content available to a 722k. This would be different if you had the VIP922 which currently has a total of 4 1080P listings on the guide and perhaps a few more in DISH Cinema. The only 1080P listing currently available to the 722k (or any of the 612/622 model family) is Tron: Legacy.

1080P content was initially only delivered by the VIP922 through VOD, but recently has been inducted into the other VIP DVRs through VOD as well. With time, the available content will grow, hopefully. The new list of VOD content should update this week, and perhaps that will be one of the changes. As far as the Hubble programming, I apologize for the misinformation on the page. It is not available in 1080P to you.

Last edited:
I see what you are saying (and that some of it is fueled by misinformation) but please understand that I am telling you the correct information with regard to the 1080P content available to a 722k. This would be different if you had the VIP922 which currently has a total of 4 1080P listings on the guide and perhaps a few more in DISH Cinema. The only 1080P listing currently available to the 722k (or any of the 612/622 model family) is Tron: Legacy.

1080P content was initially only delivered by the VIP922 through VOD, but recently has been inducted into the other VIP DVRs through VOD as well. With time, the available content will grow, hopefully. The new list of VOD content should update this week, and perhaps that will be one of the changes. As far as the Hubble programming, I apologize for the misinformation on the page. It is not available in 1080P to you.
Thanks,TonyT! Now that is a solid explanation that I can get my arms around.

So, it isn’t an issue with the equipment, it isn’t a firmware issue with the 722k, but it is an issue with the roll-out of 1080p VOD for Dish Receivers other than the 922? “In time” the 1080p VOD offerings will actually be 1080p for the 722k, but that is still forthcoming.

Does it sound like I got it? Thanks again for your efforts.

Last edited:

That is for channel 501. there are many more 1080p selections available for the entire VIP series DVR's via Broadband download (such as the HUBBLE) As to your comment about 1080p VOD only initially delivered by the 922 in totally inaccurate as 1080p VOD was available LONG before the 922 was available.

That is for channel 501. there are many more 1080p selections available for the entire VIP series DVR's via Broadband download (such as the HUBBLE) As to your comment about 1080p VOD only initially delivered by the 922 in totally inaccurate as 1080p VOD was available LONG before the 922 was available.
Thank you and your post makes the most sense. On a side note, the more experienced of the two on-site techs who helped me in person just contacted me and said he is continuing to work the issue as well. So, that is pretty great to hear. Not as good as a resolution, but still pretty great. :)

Last edited:
I stand corrected. I apologize that my confusion led to misinformation from me, and I will see that the information is put in more obvious locations. I looked into this further and I did find issues with information being incorrect on the movies, and more 1080P content via broadband connectivity. Also, I was confusing the 1080P content with 3D content, the latter being only available to the VIP922.

As n0qcu said, it is only the 1080P content in the guide that is minimal on the 622 model family, but the downloadable content is equivalent (in most cases). To the OP and anyone else having an issue with 1080P content, please PM me a phone number or account number and I will get this corrected via the DISH Online platform manager. Other then the OP, when PMing please provide TV model. One thing I have learned about this is that some TVs manufactured early in the 'model year' required a firmware update that TVs later in the same model year had from the manufacturer. While I dig into the issue on our end, it would be appreciated if you check to make sure that your TV has the most up-to-date firmware on it.

While researching, I noticed that the formats listed on DISH Online made no sense in some cases, offering an SD option, a 1080i option, and then another 1080i option (???). This lends credibility to incorrect movie information on the splash screen.

Again, my apologies.

Last edited:
As promised I’m reporting back to the forums with the resolution to this issue as far as I am concerned. Sadly, the technical issue is still unresolved. However, to DISH Network’s credit they did graciously allow for me to cancel my fledgling contract without penalty. DISH Network and I still have some business to attend to with the return of their hardware and my final bill. I trust there will be no further issues, but I will report back if that is not the case.

Thank you to all who assisted along the way.

I’m a recent DISH Network subscriber who came over to themfrom DirecTV, Inc. I am very pleased with DISH in almost every imaginable wayand am truly thankful I can be rid of DriecTV, Inc.

I guess not, and over the couple of 1080P movies available. Two providers down, and guessing a cable company or two..........

Last edited:
Similar 1080p VOD problem.

I am resurrecting this thread as I have a similar situation and to be honest I never did understand what the final answer was except the OP apparently never got the 1080p to work and I guess canceled his contract.

I decided to take advantage to the July .99 cent VOD deals, and decided to try a 1080p movie, as I have never tried the 1080P with my TV (Samsung PN58C590) I last updated the software in March 2011.

Anyway I downloaded the 1080P version of the movie, and it appears to be outputting in 1080i.
I tried looking at my manuals on both the 722K receiver and the TV see if have some setting wrong, and if I do it is not obvious to me.

This is certainly not a make or break proposition for me, but I would like to understand why it does not work with my TV.

I was going to send a PM to Tony but appears to have maxed out his PM storage, so are there any new thoughts on this subject or something I should try?

Not that this garnered any interest, but I did download Hall Pass 1080p and it did seem to display correctly. I also found that for what I want it's not big difference between the 1080i and 1080p, I'm just happy that my TV was able to display the 1080p correctly. Not sure why True Grit didn't work correctly, but alls well that ends well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts