Dish new advertising campaign

wkomorow

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Jun 7, 2004
Berkshire, MA
Sorry if this should be part of a different thread - mods merge it if appropriate.

On page 22 of this mornings NYT, Dish has a full page hopper ad, accusing the networks of refusing to run it. The ad is it is not about skipping commercials, it is about having choice. The accuse the networks of banning the ad. The tv ad is dish.com/choice. Very effective in my opinion.

Similar to a political ad, Dish is using their side of the story to fit their agenda. Nothing new there, everyone does it. If they are saying the networks are banning the ad, that sounds like a stretch. That infers something in the ad is obscene or tasteless, etc. It sounds like what they are doing is leveraging their ad exposure against Dish's desire to use the channel skip feature.

The way some on this board describe Mr. Ergan, he makes Jack Benny sound like an extravagent spender. For him to authorize a full page ad in section A of the Sunday NYT must be a sign of doubling down on this issue. One also wonders who is the target audience?

That's not much of an advertizing campaign for getting subs signed up. That's a PR "Choice" campaign. They could go on and on with this one...

"Dish Network, the provider of choice. We chose to drop AMC. We chose to dump Voom. We chose to play channel drop roullette."

We chose to have lower prices so you can afford TV. We chose to have more international programming. We chose NFLZ available without having to get expensive Sunday Ticket. Dish chose having one of the highest customer satisfactions...

I agree this is the beginning of a PR campaign. It will be interesting to see what form it takes given that networks are unlikely to cover it.

I still think this is aimed at movers and shakers. The sunday daily news reaches more nyers than the times and would be cheaper. I am sure this ad cost several hundred thousand dollars.

Broadcasters do have the right to refuse to run selected ads. However, it used to be that the broadcaster had to grounds to do so usually political, "decency," or an otherwise what we laymen may refer to as "socially irresponsible" ad. Has that portion of the law changed in the last few decades? Perhaps it has, as Dish could have petitioned the FCC by now if such requirements were still in place.

Stations refuse ads all the time. I remember the uproar when all 4 major Houston stations refused to run a make it vegetarian tonight ad by a physicians group -showing a man who had a heart attack while cletching a cheeseburger. I think there are laws requiring equal time for ads for political issues and candidates, but not for other reasons. But I really don't know.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)