Dish Newbie Question

Coonce-Ewing

Original poster
Dec 12, 2004
We currently have cable and are not happy with it. After looking, Dish appears to be what we want.

I have two TVs (in two different rooms) that I'd like to be able to use VCRs with. The 322 seems to be the default unit they give to new customers. Do I need one for each room to be able to use a VCR to record one things while I watch another?

I want to make sure I know what I'm asking for when I place my order as I don't want to rely on the customer service drone to know what the answer is.

Thanks,
Chris Coonce-Ewing

With one 522 can I record on both TV's while watching "live" tv?

In our house both tvs are used at the same time and occasionally we are taping shows on both vcrs while we're watching live tv. So I'd need to be able to watch 2 shows live while recording two shows.

Also... if the tvs are in different rooms how does the second tv use the 522? Is it via an IR blaster or something like that?

Also I assume that would increase my monthly fee by $5.00 which is the same increase I'd have for a second receiver?

Thanks for the help

Only if are recording the same show you are watching. Other than that I dont think you can do what your asking to do. I would think you would need 4 tuners to watch 2 live channels and record 2 different channels at the same time. So you would need 2 522(with no vcr) or 2 322(with vcr)

The 322/522 uses a UHF remote to control #2.

Yes it would cost $5.00 each for the DVR function unless you have the Everything Pac.

First off satellite and cable are 2 different things. If you NEED to be able to record 2 shows while watching 2 shows my suggestion would actually be to go with 2 Directv DVR with Tivo's. Unfortunately Dish won't generally let you have 2 522's.

Once you get used to having the 522 you will never want to watch ANYTHING live again. You'll find yourself watching something you scheduled to record earlier, while the stuff that's on now is recording.

Of course if you want to record two things and insist on watching two other things live, a 522 and a 322 would do the job there.

Good info so far, but as already said - this ain't cable - a change in thought process might be needed.

You need a tuner to be able to receive a show. The x22 boxes each have 2 tuners, therefore, 2 shows at the same time. If it's a 522, you can record either/both/none of what's coming in on the tuners. You can also watch whatever's coming in on the tuners, or something previously recorded.

In the typical setup, throw the 322 at the kids' rooms. Keep the 522 for the adults.

Finally, what Pepper said - once you've gone DVR you'll never go back. I haven't hardly watched live TV for years.

Okay what I have is a non-standard household. After my father-in-law passed away we moved in with my mother-in-law who is disabled. She has been a timeshifter for years. She's the only 68 year old I know who can use a VCR with such skill and aptitude.

She is a TV junkie and I haven't gotten her a DVR yet as I'm afraid she'll never sleep if I do.

So, she often watches and tapes at the same time.

My wife and I meanwhile have one night (Wednesday, 8pm) when we have two shows we watch so we need to be able to record one and watch the other.

I'm okay with just using our VCRs if that's what it takes. Or I'd like to know how to do it in each room.

At the same point, part of the goal of switching services (cable to dish) is to save money so I'm not looking to add a bunch of additional fees to my monthly bill.

Chris

Well no matter what you do if you go to Sat you will need atleast 4 tuners. The DVR fee is waived if you get the Everything pack. But you will be hit with a extra receiver fee (or lease fee).

So wouldn't 2 322's give me 4 tuners? For that I'd pay say $39.99 a month for their 120 plan (with locals) and then the extra $5.00 a month for the extra 322?

Coonce-Ewing said:
So wouldn't 2 322's give me 4 tuners? For that I'd pay say $39.99 a month for their 120 plan (with locals) and then the extra $5.00 a month for the extra 322?
I highly recommend making that a 522 and a 322. The PVR will change your life.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts