Dish no longer BBB Member

No assumption

Why the assumption that they're scammers ? Not having a BBB listing nowadays doesn't mean squat. It's all about references, references, and references .... if they can't give any, who wants to be their first customer ? Or, they do sh!tty work and won't give out any references.

When Tony said they "made me an offer that was too good to be true", well, that says enough, doesn't it ? :D

I didn't assume anything. I just said the local news co's would probably have things on scammers. That doesn't say that they are I have no idea. :rolleyes:

The only people who use the BBB are customers that are 60+ years old. Most of them are incapable of handling the advanced technology of satellite and so are too much of a pain in the *** to have as customers.

That was uncalled for.

Some of the best customers are the 60+ crowd. Also, the last 10 years, most of my 60+ relatives and friends have been very active with the internet, and new technology.

The only people who use the BBB are customers that are 60+ years old. Most of them are incapable of handling the advanced technology of satellite and so are too much of a pain in the *** to have as customers.
With that attitude, make sure you stay down under (a rock).:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I didn't miss the point.
Yes, you did. :) If I find a listing for this company in the BBB it tells me two things immediately (regardless where they hail from)
1) They are a legitamate business that has been around (somewhere) for X number of years and are not a fly-by-night business.
2) I can find out the number and type of complaints the company may have had.

The BBB is not my only line of questioning. It is just the first step in checking out a business.

Too good to be true is USUALLY (not alway) literally too good to be true.

Rest assured that alarm bells were ringing all over the place while I was talking to this guy. I just don't want to be the moron that tears up a winning lottery ticket because some bum on the street handed it to me.

You said you could not find any info on the BBB about them. The price was "too good to be true".

If only you could just look them up on the interwebs you would feel better?
If I find an independent source about a company telling how long the company has been in business and how satisfied their customers are on average, it would speak volumes! So yes, it would make me feel better. Since I cannot find info on this company I am thinking "scam". If not on me, on my insurance company--I have scruples. I am calling the insurance company on Monday to see if indeed this company has done work for them as they claim.

This scenario is legendary in storm ravaged areas. Next week this company with the respectable looking man and truck will have a new name and be in a city 500 miles from you.
Exactly! This is why, if this company had a BBB listing, I would know that I could probably do business with them--or not depending on what I find on them. Since I cannot find them, I think fly-by-night.

That is my point! The fact that this company had no independent listing with the BBB in this area rings alarm bells LOUDER than they were ringing when I was talking with the guy.

PT Barnum: A sucker is born every minute.
Right. And I don't plan to be one of them. That is why a BBB listing would have made the sale much easier. Since there isn't one, I will probably not do business with them AND I am reporting them to my insurance company as potential scammers!

NOW do you understand why a BBB listing for most businesses is a good idea? References mean nothing since you are getting them from the company you are checking out. You want references from INDEPENDENT sources.

See ya
Tony

Satellite (TVRO) is nothing new, it has been around for 30 years, so many of the 60+ people that have DBS started in the late 70's with C-Band, I am sure that there are plenty of people over 60 that can operate a DBS system, and probably install one.

Hmmmm....I've been with Dish 3 years now and have been a happy camper since I had it installed. Lots of new HD, got my Duluth, MN HD locals a few months ago, great DVR and love the external hard drives I have filled, very happy indeed. Only upset I can think of was the loss of Monsters HD and Filmfest on Voom, but most of the new channels are showing those movies anyway, only this time with the correct soundtracks (Voom's sound channels were always way out of phase).

I am not sure who the BBB even is and am sure most general consumers don't either, so I don't see it as any hardship for Dish.

Hmmmm....I've been with Dish 3 years now and have been a happy camper since I had it installed. Lots of new HD, got my Duluth, MN HD locals a few months ago, great DVR and love the external hard drives I have filled, very happy indeed. Only upset I can think of was the loss of Monsters HD and Filmfest on Voom, but most of the new channels are showing those movies anyway, only this time with the correct soundtracks (Voom's sound channels were always way out of phase).

I am not sure who the BBB even is and am sure most general consumers don't either, so I don't see it as any hardship for Dish.

The BBB was kind of big in the 60s and 70s as a consumer advocacy group...kind of in the vein of the 'stick it to the man' mentality that was popular at the time. Now? I'm honestly not sure how seriously people take it...

Now? I'm honestly not sure how seriously people take it...
Nor how seriously businesses take them.... Basically, if someone files a complaint and the company "addresses" it or tries to resolve it, that's "good" in the eyes of the BBB and results in good grades. I don't know if the BBB has to approve the resolution though. It's when companies flat out ignore the complaint, which seems to be more and more the case nowadays, that they get bad grades.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts