Dish no longer BBB Member

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
the bbb is just a cover for extortion. what good does the bbb actually do for the merchant? its probably better to have no grade with the bbb then to have an F grade. why should dish pay a 3rd party to give people an extra way to complain?

Because if a business is small enough and is reputable and does good work, the numbers will look VERY good on the BBB site. However, any company as large as Dish (meaning # of customers) or Direct TV, or any other company that has millions upon millions of customers is going to have at least tens of thousands of complaint, many "unresolved" because the customer has just canceled service. Most people won't take into account that ten of thousands is an extremely low percentage of of the total customers. Tens of thousands is just too high a number that just looks bad.

Also, many bad companies become members of BBB just to make the claim to customers and put the sticker on their website or truck. Too many people just assume that a BBB member is very highly rated when, in fact, that company has a poor grade, but just not bad enough to be kicked out of the BBB.

But many smaller companies look really great on BBB and I have used the BBB site and it is an extremely helpful and accurate tool for consumers. I have to say that BBB hit it on the head with all the various contractors and other tradespeople and companies I've interviewed over the years, both the trouble ones and the highly rated ones.

This is humorous, but I have to agree; complaining to the BBB has never gotten me anywhere when I'm had disputes with merchants. Very overrated.

That's because the BBB can't control a companies decisions to do the wrong thing. The BBB works best a tool of measurement, not an organization to get the results a consumer demands. For that, call your local TV news station. Many bad companies become members of BBB so that can make the claim to customers, and the customer somehow thinks that by just being a member, the company must be highly rated.

I quit the BBB last year, and told them to go stick it when they came to me looking for their annual $500 membership fee.

I signed up with them that if someone wanted to get DISH Network I would be one of their recommended dealers for all their referals, instead I paid $500 to be the DISH Network complaint center for South East Michigan for an entire year.

Every week after I joined I got letters from angry customers who had some sort of problem with their Dish. I would look them up, find out they where not my customer and then send the complaint back to them and tell them to forward it to Dish directly in Colorado.

It got to the point I called their office and told them to just forward all the complaints to Dish, and out of about 200 or so complaints none of them where from my customers...

They said it was not possible to do it, so when I continued to get the letters in the mail I didn't even bother to open them or write a letter back with an explanation. I just filed them away in my filing cabinet....

Then they started with the phone calls, wanting to know the status of so and so customer letter, then it was the certified letters... Its my company policy they I refuse to sign for certified mail, if you want to know I received something, send it to me regular mail with delivery confirmation. Anyways they got all their certified letters returned :)

So the next week, I get a visit from one of their reps and they come and say they are here to take away my BBB membership because im not servicing my customers. I don't say a word, go to my front door peel off the little BBB sticker and take down the sign they sent me and hand it back to the lady.

Then we started talking and I explained the situation to here, and I gave her back all the letters and we got the issue resolved and put the sticker back on my door and put the sign back up.

But never again, the BBB is powerless to resolve these disputes, and when you got so many disputes it aint even worth trying to fight them

I understand

I quit the BBB last year, and told them to go stick it when they came to me looking for their annual $500 membership fee.

When I had a sat biz back in C-band & early DBS days. I found out that they want the yearly fee just to be listed. I also found out they do nothing for their "client" I decided not to bother.

I know someone who got laid off from our local BBB, along with three others. Becoming a thing of the past.

DISH is no saint but these numbers, based on their customer base, seem small in comparison.
For the record, with ~12 million customers and 13 thousand complaints, that "affects" a whopping 0.001% of their customer base. So for anyone who copies and pastes raw numbers from a website, it really needs to be in context !

my question is how many customers actually use the bbb to research a company prior to getting their service versus the amount of customers who only use the bbb to file a complaint.

as claude pointed out, your paying for a membership to a complaint dept that will right away want to side with the customer. they want you to go extra and beyond your original agreement with the customer to satisfy there every little whim.

perhaps there should be a BCB (better customer bureau). here businesses can compile a data base of pain in the butt customers. let them weed out the ones that will cost them more then they can profit off them.

For the record, with ~12 million customers and 13 thousand complaints, that "affects" a whopping 0.001% of their customer base. So for anyone who copies and pastes raw numbers from a website, it really needs to be in context !

100 * (13,000) / (12,000,000) = .11%

The only people who use the BBB are customers that are 60+ years old. Most of them are incapable of handling the advanced technology of satellite and so are too much of a pain in the *** to have as customers.

The only people who use the BBB are customers that are 60+ years old. Most of them are incapable of handling the advanced technology of satellite and so are too much of a pain in the *** to have as customers.

Wow, there have been some stupid things written on this board the past couple weeks, but this may be take the cake! :rolleyes:

Well, coincidentally enough, I have been trying to find info on "Clem Roofing" in Ohio and my first stop was the BBB web site. Unfortunately these guys aren't listed and I may not do business with them since I cannot find independent comments on their work.

I was finishing doing yard work when I was approached by one of their reps (clean, well labeled construction truck trolling the neighborhood for wind-damaged roofs) and made me an offer that was too good to be true. I have tried several other avenues, but all I find is their web site. No BBB listing may lose them a job!

Well, coincidentally enough, I have been trying to find info on "Clem Roofing" in Ohio and my first stop was the BBB web site. Unfortunately these guys aren't listed and I may not do business with them since I cannot find independent comments on their work.

I was finishing doing yard work when I was approached by one of their reps (clean, well labeled construction truck trolling the neighborhood for wind-damaged roofs) and made me an offer that was too good to be true. I have tried several other avenues, but all I find is their web site. No BBB listing may lose them a job!

Don't need the BBB. You got your answer when you noticed he was driving around a wind damaged neighborhood looking for work. More than likely an out of town contractor looking to pick up some quick jobs who will then disappear never to be seen or heard from again.

Call your insurance company. They usually have a list of LOCAL contractors they work with on claims. If they don't know who this contractor is, stay away.

Don't need the BBB. You got your answer when you noticed he was driving around a wind damaged neighborhood looking for work. More than likely an out of town contractor looking to pick up some quick jobs who will then disappear never to be seen or heard from again.

Call your insurance company. They usually have a list of LOCAL contractors they work with on claims. If they don't know who this contractor is, stay away.

I am in 100% agreement with this one.

Local TV & paper

You missed the point. Had they had a BBB listing, it wouldn't matter if they were from town or not. I could have checked up on them.

See ya
Tony

Ck your local TV stations & newspaper web sites to see if they have done something on scammers in the area. If not give them a buzz and they may go out and do a story on them.

Ck your local TV stations & newspaper web sites to see if they have done something on scammers in the area.
Why the assumption that they're scammers ? Not having a BBB listing nowadays doesn't mean squat. It's all about references, references, and references .... if they can't give any, who wants to be their first customer ? Or, they do sh!tty work and won't give out any references.

When Tony said they "made me an offer that was too good to be true", well, that says enough, doesn't it ? :D

You missed the point. Had they had a BBB listing, it wouldn't matter if they were from town or not. I could have checked up on them.

See ya
Tony

I didn't miss the point. You said you could not find any info on the BBB about them. The price was "too good to be true".

If only you could just look them up on the interwebs you would feel better?

This scenario is legendary in storm ravaged areas. Next week this company with the respectable looking man and truck will have a new name and be in a city 500 miles from you.

PT Barnum: A sucker is born every minute.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts