DISH Now on Amazon Fire TV

For a room that doesn't get a ton of use (spare bedroom) I think this is pretty slick but it's not a replacement for a Joey on a well watched TV. It converts all audio to 2.0 down from 5.1 and it converts all 60 fps content to 30 fps.

Has anyone figured out if the application uses internet bandwidth (versus just internal network bandwidth) if the application is used on the home network?

My modem/router doesn't have very good logging of outgoing/incoming internet bandwidth. Might have to dig out my old DD-WRT router and install it temporarily.

IIRC, Dish Anywhere uses internet to authenticate, then programming is exchanged internally, if you're on your home network.

Well I bought two of the fire tv sticks at Best Buy for $39.99 each and have them already hooked up to my computer room tv and my son's tv in his room. They work great and the picture quality is at 1080p. They work as well as the joey did ,with less loss of signal that I would get with my joey because of broadband mocca loss. I now have my bill down to $93.00 with taxes included. Finally have my bill down under $100.00 and my FEES are now dropped down to $22.00 from $36.00 before.

THANKS For the App on the FIRE TV DISH. Finally given us an option to save money on your monthly FEEs.:hatsoff

You do know that you can only use one stream at a time?
OH yes. I know ,but my son rarely watches his joey except for a few super hero shows on CW and Fox. IF there is ever a conflict I would let him watch his show first. I still have the hopper 3 in my living room or the 4k joey to watch in the master bedroom.

Reactions: pattykay
I think it's a great marketing idea from Dish. That way they'll keep some customers. I'm at about $94 too. Might drop the $8 maintenance fee too, now that I upgraded.

6P AquariOS

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Just got my fire stick. Can't find anywhere app, anywhere.

Nevermind, needed to use browser, didn't show up in the Amazon phone app. Tried searching with fire stick and said couldn't connect to servers.

Very nice! Faster than my phone app and better ui.

6P AquariOS

Last edited:
Used the Dishanywhere app on my fire tv at a Hampton Inn, worked great after I got it connected to the local wi fi. Had to switch away from their recommended network connection and then back in order to get the room, name password page to come up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Has anyone figured out if the application uses internet bandwidth (versus just internal network bandwidth) if the application is used on the home network?

My modem/router doesn't have very good logging of outgoing/incoming internet bandwidth. Might have to dig out my old DD-WRT router and install it temporarily.

Its using the local network at home unless you setup Firetv with neighbors open wireless signal. :idea

Reactions: dare2be
So here's a question. I replaced one of my joeys with a Fire Stick. I had that joey hooked up to a powered HDMI splitter I got from monoprice. It worked great for the joey so I could feed a TV in the kitchen and Living Room. They were never on at the same time. But....hooking the splitter up to the Fire Stick makes it reboot often. If I hook the stick straight to the TV it works fine. I wanted to do this so I wouldn't have to move the Fire Stick back and forth. Has anyone used a splitter that they know works with the Fire Stick?

I haven't heard of anyone splitting the fire stick to different tvs. Now if you used the firestick with an a/v receiver and split the output HDMI to different tvs it might work. But I am only speculating.

Last edited:
Just plug it into any HDMI splitter and and you can feed multiple TVs just like with any other HDMI source.

HopperGo has only recorded programming on it. It is meant to be a hot spot to tablets and phones. You could mirror that to your TV.

I believe it has its own built in wifi. When you are away from your receiver you have no connection to to it but you have your transferred programming available without the need for cell connection. I am on wifi right now and I still have an LTE connection. Mind you I am on an iPad at the moment and not connected to a HopperGo but the idea is the same.

I believe it has its own built in wifi. When you are away from your receiver you have no connection to to it but you have your transferred programming available without the need for cell connection. I am on wifi right now and I still have an LTE connection. Mind you I am on an iPad at the moment and not connected to a HopperGo but the idea is the same.

But since the HopperGo has no internet connection, then when your phone connects to it your phone wouldnt receive data or VoLTE calls right?

That's how it works on my iPhone; if it connects to a WIFI network with no internet connection, the LTE connection shuts off and the phone receives no data at all. I can't see that being good if you want to continue receiving calls, texts and data while connected to HopperGo...

Last edited: