Dish NOW! Prepaid dead/to be replaced according to sources

STEELERSRULE

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 19, 2007
NW Pennsylvania
Well, it looks like the party is over for prepaid customers. NO WAY am I going for their alternative which is linked too here, and described(THANX to nyislander for the info. This is coming from a NYRANGER Fan A**wipe ;)) somewhat:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/private.php?do=showpm&pmid=267391

DISH Network is introducing DHA TOO - Sadoun Tech Forums

I just wondered what happens to those of us who have the system already?

Probably will be bombarded with phone call, after phone call to sign up for the new setup, which I will not for any reason.

But Scott, or anyone else, know when the prepaid system/automated phone system, actually ends/ceases to function?

Just like to know because at least I can get a refund on what is left on my GDMP if it ends like July 1st or something.

Also, I am guessing that we own the equipment, and won't need to return it or anything? I am guessing the refurbished DP301's prepaid boxes will just become bricks/papaerweights?

Can't see how they can be reset to normal receivers through the satellite hookup.

Anyway, this is too bad and sad for us prepaid customers. But Dish has to do what they have to do.

Yeah, I know. Thanks Saudon, but that is not what prepaid is. Not even close.

And i think i found my answer in this HTML.

It looks like Dish NOW! prepaid service ends JULY 31, 2009:

Two New Promotional Programs! DHA TOO and FlexTV ? Effective May 13, 2009

Look under the Red Colored DHA TOO PROMOTIONAL PROGRAM-EFFECTIVE May 13, 2009 for the info.

I just hope I don't get bombarded with e-mail/phone calls about switching. That will really Pi** me off. They now have certain information with the "shell" accounts that were created.

Looks like the 1 day at a time ordering is over. Sad, but that's life. Never thought it would last forever.

Anyone know if the Dish NOW! prepaid equipment we have would have to be returned? I wouldn't think so since most of us bought it outright from retailers 3 years ago. I guess it just becomes junk since you would have to order a NEW receiver(DP301 or otherwise) since these were designed for prepaid, and that will no longer be around.

Actually, the more I read the link I posted, the more I wonder IF:

1. After places like Saudon run out of the DP301's to sell for the Dish NOW!/YA! program, it might just mean that no NEW customers for Dish NOW!/YA! prepaid service will be offered. You would have to get the new FlexTV account thing set-up.

2. People who already have it, will continue to have it. It will be like grandfathered in, but no new customer signups for it will be available AFTER July 31st, 2009.

I may be wrong(probably), but prepaid Dish could continue to be available to those of us who have the equipment.

Then again, it may just be like I thought, and it will go away completely after July 31st, 2009.

If you have working Dish equipment you can prepay for service at many check cashing places. I know it is not the same as the old system since you have to have a Dish account, but you can pay monthly (or more) in cash.

If you have working Dish equipment you can prepay for service at many check cashing places. I know it is not the same as the old system since you have to have a Dish account, but you can pay monthly (or more) in cash.

This is what the FlexTV thing is actually going to be Mike, except you will be sent a MONTHLY statement for the UPCOMING MONTH, and must pay within a 2 week window to keep your current service.

Actually the FlexTV, is everything that Dish NOW! does not have/or will have(HD, local channnels, local Regional Sprts Networks, PPV), except one GLARING omission, done on purpose.

You WON'T be able to order FlexTV Dish service by the DAY, only the MONTH. This is what made Dish Now! prepaid so special.

You could order maybe a couple of days of programming, say at a beach house you were staying at for the weekend, at the cost of like $7-$8(this would include 3 days worth of Classic Gold 250/HBO/Cinema/Showtime/Starz), and then it would shut off.

With the new setup, you have to pay the FULL MONTHLY Cost($94), PLUS now all the fees that are added(HD/DVR if you get either), PLUS an initial $149 activation fee(this is probably one time only), PLUS the "NEW"$5.00 reactivation fee everytime you start and stop, PLUS a downgrade fee if you go from Gold to Silver or Bronze the next time you use it.

And Gawd only knows what other fees they will tack on. It will be like a regular Dish account now, except you pay for what you want tp front before you view it, at a MONTHLY charge.

That is just way, way too costly IMHO. But I knew this golden setup would not last forever.

but the monthly can be prorated, you just disconnect and the unused portion of programming is credited back to the account, then just pay the $5 restart fee next time you want service restored.

Steelersrule,
Have you actually seen anything from Dish in writing that Dish Now is going away? If not then it may be as you postulated. If they stop selling Dish Now cards that may represent a problem. To easy for them to say no more GDMP also. Would be another blow to their already low public relations but thats from a company that dosnt seem to care about public relations. Thats what contracts are all about. If you are facing a termination fee by contract you will be more willing to accept lousy customer service becuz you have to... or pay big to leave. I digress.
I just bought a DP301 Dish Now setup and activated it on 6-27-09. During the activation the auto system took my #,s then sent me to a CSR who said he needed to create a "virtual account" containing my name, address,phone #, E-mail and Zip code. I kind of thought that Dish Now was all about NOT handing over this info. It was my understanding that all they needed was your Zip. He then sent me back to the auto system were I completed the activation with no further glitchs. I would think that if the axe was falling in the near future he would have said something as I was an initial activation ( maybe not...no one likes to listen to irate people ). It may be that they wanted all my info so they can bombard me with offers when Dish Now ends. All I know for sure is that I will be seriously pissed if I just spent $92.00 for the equiptment and $42.00 for the GDMP for about a months service. I work 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off. Half the time my house is closed up and locked and I dont want to have to pay for the 2 weeks I dont use the TV. Dish Now is perfect for me. I had Direct TV for a long time and they would shut down and start my service every 2 weeks which was great but I didnt like their lineups so when I discovered Dish Now I jumped. I guess I can go back to Direct TV. Time will tell .

Steelersrule,
Have you actually seen anything from Dish in writing that Dish Now is going away? If not then it may be as you postulated. If they stop selling Dish Now cards that may represent a problem. To easy for them to say no more GDMP also. Would be another blow to their already low public relations but thats from a company that dosnt seem to care about public relations. Thats what contracts are all about. If you are facing a termination fee by contract you will be more willing to accept lousy customer service becuz you have to... or pay big to leave. I digress.
I just bought a DP301 Dish Now setup and activated it on 6-27-09. During the activation the auto system took my #,s then sent me to a CSR who said he needed to create a "virtual account" containing my name, address,phone #, E-mail and Zip code. I kind of thought that Dish Now was all about NOT handing over this info. It was my understanding that all they needed was your Zip. He then sent me back to the auto system were I completed the activation with no further glitchs. I would think that if the axe was falling in the near future he would have said something as I was an initial activation ( maybe not...no one likes to listen to irate people ). It may be that they wanted all my info so they can bombard me with offers when Dish Now ends. All I know for sure is that I will be seriously pissed if I just spent $92.00 for the equiptment and $42.00 for the GDMP for about a months service. I work 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off. Half the time my house is closed up and locked and I dont want to have to pay for the 2 weeks I dont use the TV. Dish Now is perfect for me. I had Direct TV for a long time and they would shut down and start my service every 2 weeks which was great but I didnt like their lineups so when I discovered Dish Now I jumped. I guess I can go back to Direct TV. Time will tell .

windbreaker,

Initially, when I first setup my DP301 for prepaid service(June 2007 I think), all you gave the automated system was a Zip Code, and that was it.

They didn't begin to create these "shell accounts" until they began to do the changing of the Smartcards to the current G3's.

SADOUN, who is a advertiser here, said he believes(no proof, just gut feeling) that Dish may slowly phase out the Dish NOW! service over time, or they may try too sell/get rid of as many of these refurbished boxes as they can, stop selling them on July 31st 2009 altogether, and then those of us who have it will have it forever. The only difference is that maybe the automated system will go away, and you will be forced to do ADD MORE DAYS with a phone rep.

But you are most likely right about giving all that info, if this service does go away. That info is there for them to bombard you with phone calls/e-mails/junk mail to sign up, but I will take of that if it ever happens real quick.

SteelersRule

Call me wrong but it looks like these are promotionals programs only from May13 to July31 and after that period they are gone.

one may wish?

http://www.dishnetwork.com/legal/disclaimers/flexTV/default.aspx

Would be nice if they went from having a prepaid card to just prepaying for the service on the phone or online for the service and you just select from there the days you want the service and change it with that automated system.

Would be nice if they went from having a prepaid card to just prepaying for the service on the phone or online for the service and you just select from there the days you want the service and change it with that automated system.

using a GDMP online at dishnetwork.com would be GREAT. So that is a +1 for me on this.

Since we would have shell accounts anyway, just give us a rgular account number, and prepay using the GDMP # online, and using the receiver #, and also add in additional packages and PPV, and this would be awesome, and make sense.

But Dish rarely/never does anything that makes sense or is awesome.

Here's my solution to the Turbo HD problem...

922 Pros

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)