Dish NW Reception in Canada and Alaska?

rkassl

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 16, 2004
Wisconsin
Not sure if this is the right place to post a question. Can I receive Dish NW in Canada and up into Alaska with the 500 Pro dish?

Thanks

Not sure if this is the right place to post a question. Can I receive Dish NW in Canada and up into Alaska with the 500 Pro dish?

Thanks

I'm not sure what the 500 Pro dish is, but I live in Anchorage and you'll need around a 30 inch dish to receive 119 which contains most of Dish programming. In order to receive any HD you'll need at least a 4 foot dish pointing at 110.

Although the 4 footer would be additional cost in Anchorage, the basic install to get 119 is free.

I'm not sure what the 500 Pro dish is, but I live in Anchorage and you'll need around a 30 inch dish to receive 119 which contains most of Dish programming. In order to receive any HD you'll need at least a 4 foot dish pointing at 110.

Although the 4 footer would be additional cost in Anchorage, the basic install to get 119 is free.
The 500 is an 18" Dish that has an LNB to hit 2 satellites (119 & 110) at the same time. Based on your information, the OP would NOT be able to use the 500 Dish.

Geoff

The 500 is an 18" Dish that has an LNB to hit 2 satellites (119 & 110) at the same time. Based on your information, the OP would NOT be able to use the 500 Dish.

Geoff

I'm not sure that's even large enough to receive 148!

You can get the 148 with a 30 inch dish with stellar signal. youll need a 1m for the 119 for high 70's low 80's on the 119 and you can go 4' but i reccomend 6' for the 110. and that barely gets you mid 70's but it dosent go out when it decides to rain and we know how much that happens in southcentral ak. America dishes dont work in Alaska or most of northern canada. go big or go home. Aka yard bling or dish farm. Wich ever you prefer.

Geoff
Actually a DISH 500 is a 20" dish designed to pick up 110 & 119 in the continental US. Pro or Legacy would refer to the LNBs mounted on the DISH 500 dish.:):):)

Since we're on the subject, what's up for Alaska and HD? The "Ak package" on 110 pretty much sucks for content and there's only like 10 channels. We also seem to have no hope for HD networks. I am stuck with crummy All American Direct. Also you guys were talking about 148. I hadn't heard of hitting 148 in AK for anything. What's on it? I am in Southeast, north of Juneau.

Since we're on the subject, what's up for Alaska and HD? The "Ak package" on 110 pretty much sucks for content and there's only like 10 channels. We also seem to have no hope for HD networks. I am stuck with crummy All American Direct. Also you guys were talking about 148. I hadn't heard of hitting 148 in AK for anything. What's on it? I am in Southeast, north of Juneau.

CBS HD out of Los Angeles was on 148, before Dish lost the right. I'm pretty sure that before Dish put HD on 110, I used to get the other HD channels also on 148. I was surprised that they didn't use 148 for Alaska HD, would have been a lot easier to mount a 30 inch dish instead of a 4-6 footer.

148 has digital locals (HD) on it for Fairbanks & Juneau

Not to get even more of topic, but does Fairbanks or Juneau even do HD? I thought they only did upconverted SD, due to being one extra hour behind and receiving the network feed. I do believe the stations in anchorage like KTUU can do HD.

Not to get even more of topic, but does Fairbanks or Juneau even do HD? I thought they only did upconverted SD, due to being one extra hour behind and receiving the network feed. I do believe the stations in anchorage like KTUU can do HD.

Not sure about Fairbanks, but Anchorage has the following Hd channels: NBC, CBS, FOX, PBS.

ABC say they are going HD by the end oh the year.

Dish only carries CBS and PBS in HD.

according to the dishchannelchart Fairbanks has the following in HD on 148
ABC (that's gotta be wrong as ABC in Alaska is pretty much one station and AKGolf says they dont), Fox & PBS
Juneau is just digital chanenls

Not sure about Fairbanks,

Fairbanks: pbs only, rest are crap
love the pixelization, blocks and rolling black lines, static

But, I can listen to "House" and kinda sorta vaguely see it which is more than I could do before.

Previously, 148 had hd: CBS, HBO, SHO

And of course for Alaska, hd USA, SciFi still in red.

Like a few others mentioned, I looked on dishchannelchart, and "digital locals" for Juneau are listed on 148, but they are not HD. What's the point, isn't everything digital on satellite? I can already get Juneau on 110, although as Chena pointed out, the quality is something that even Fred Flintstone wouldn't watch!

Like a few others mentioned, I looked on dishchannelchart, and "digital locals" for Juneau are listed on 148, but they are not HD. What's the point, isn't everything digital on satellite? I can already get Juneau on 110, although as Chena pointed out, the quality is something that even Fred Flintstone wouldn't watch!

I wonder if the source is bad, the two Anchorage HD channels that Dish carries are fine. Although I would like them to start carrying the complete lineup.

I wonder if the source is bad, the two Anchorage HD channels that Dish carries are fine. Although I would like them to start carrying the complete lineup.

KUAC (pbsHD) looks great. The other channels do often look like bad rabbit ears with the added bonus of compression.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)