Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Greetings folks,

I am seeing a lot of in accurate information going around (both here and at other sites) about the Olympics so here we go setting the record straight.

The special HDTV Olympics Feed on Dish Network will "Officially" begin on February 10th. Don't be surprised if it pops up earlier.

In addition SatelliteGuys.US has CONFIRMED with Dish Network that they will make Universal HD available to all HD customers in MPEG2 format. After the Olympics is done Universal HD will return to the current format which is only seen by MPEG4 receivers.

And there you have it. :) BTW Go Team USA! :D

Scott Greczkowski said:
Greetings folks,

I am seeing a lot of in accurate information going around (both here and at other sites) about the Olympics so here we go setting the record straight.

The special HDTV Olympics Feed on Dish Network will "Officially" begin on February 10th. Don't be surprised if it pops up earlier.

In addition SatelliteGuys.US has CONFIRMED with Dish Network that they will make Universal HD available to all HD customers in MPEG2 format. After the Olympics is done Universal HD will return to the current format which is only seen by MPEG4 receivers.

And there you have it. :) BTW Go Team USA! :D

Didn't I see posted earlier that it would be available to all customers, not just the HD subscribers? I still have my 811 but dropped the HD package last year. Not a big deal as I will get it OTA on NBC anyway.

Scott, Are they going to mirror U-HD at 110 for this or will it require 129 or 61.5?

NightRyder

Last edited:
NightRyder said:
Scott, Are they going to mirror UHD at 110 for this or will it require 129 or 61.5?

NightRyder

Good question. Since the winter olympics are no way close to the viewership of the summer olympics, I doubt E* will mirror it on 110 if they're running out of capacity. But since the Super Bowl feeds are out, they should be able to put it on 110 on those TP's!

Wow. They get me the Super Bowl in HD (I'm in the NYC DMA) and now they get me one of the HD channels I thought I would miss. I would like the WNBC HD feed, but my 622 isn't going to be installed until 2/22.

Dare I get greedy and ask them to release that one as well?

I would think sence they have a whole empty tp at 110 that the superbowl was on and is no longer on... that they have more than enough room to do UHD and OHD.. at full rezolution in 8psk ;)

If they are indeed going to show us the coverage from UHD, I bet it will indeed be mirrored and placed on a different channel number to avoid confusion, and possibly only available when olympics content is showing. Either way this is good news and I can delay my upgrade since the olympics would've been the primary reason

Olympic HD coverage

I haven't seen any reference to availability of the Olympics HD channel on 921 receivers since the Open TV application has never been made available to us.

The Hd channel was delivered to 921 users during the 2004 Summer Olympics. We didn't get the Mosaic channel since it is not OpenTV enabled yet. Yeah, I know, the openTv that was supposedly coming by the end of 2005 according to Charlie on the chats. Buzzzzzzzz.. Thank you for playing, we have some lovely parting gifts. A 622 and a case of Turtle Wax......

That was a smart move by DishNetwork. The initial information that Universal HD would only be available for Mpeg-4 units made no sense to me.
Here we have the winter Olympics, a treasured event for many, and only viewable by 1-2% of users with new receivers.
Now we all get to enjoy the games!:)

hdtvtechno said:
along with your local OTA NBC HD channel + 9427 for Universal HD
well actually no one knows yet.... as the actuall hd version of the olympic channel hasnt been uplinked yet. (check back tom.)

9427 is Unihd but thats the mpg 4 version..

I would expect a diffrent channel number for the mpg2 version :)

Will the Universal HD Olympic feed be identical to the NBC-HD Olympic feed? Will they just be simulcasts?

This is great news--exactly what I was hoping E* would do. Thanks, Scott.

Now, if they get a groundswell of positive feedback on this UHD simul-feed in MPEG-2...maybe, just maybe they'll reconsider the MPEG-2 preview. O.K., I'm reaching here. But positive breeds positive, right?

Right, but it means a lot more HD content since USA, MSNBC, and CNBC only broadcast in SD. I think this is a great addition and I'm happy to see it. As the Olympics are a special event I think that Dish realized that they could easily provide this content to all users (MPEG2 and 4) without them expecting to be able to receive it forever. I know that I appreciate it. I'm going to be moving to the 622 soon, but I wasn't going to have it for the Olympics so I'm happy!!!