Dish on electric utility pole?

satinsticksguy

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 9, 2006
Several years ago, we moved to a place in the country with lots of trees. Fortunately, there was a fairly clear view of the southwest sky, and I installed our Dish system getting 110, 119, and 129 (HD). A couple of years ago, Dish put up our HD locals (Columbia, MO) on 61.5 only. There are a lot of trees to the southeast, but I found a spot on the northwest corner of our lot about 20 feet up an electric utility pole where I could get over the trees and get 61.5. A couple of months ago, our local rural electric company drove by, noticed the dish on the pole, and said we had to remove it. Now, they have written us a letter threatening further action if the dish isn't removed. I'm not sure if I can find another place to put the dish to get over the trees. I realize it is their pole, but I don't see what harm there is is having a dish on it. In fact, when we moved here, there was another dish on another pole closer to the house. We can't find anything is their bylaws preventing the installation of a dish. Do they have the right to prevent me from putting a dish on the pole? Thanks.

As a worker for an electric company, if I had to climb that pole and it was in my way, the dish would be coming off of the pole for my safety. Also, if one of the high voltage lines broke and made contact with that dish, it would create a direct path for voltage coming into your home, possibly burning it to the ground.;)

Last edited:
Can you concrete a galvanized pole in the ground in that general area without affecting access to the power pole? I'm sure you can find a stout enough pole to give the height you need to clear. You may not need to be 20' off the ground. I would recheck your elevation and that would help determine the length of pole needed.

As an adjuster that works utility claims nationwide for 3 different utility companies. I would be holding you liable too if a line hit that dish and caused any damages further down the line or to company equipment.

If you owned the pole it would be different. My neighbor out in the country near our ranch owns 2 of the poles for lights around their main house compound. They have their dish on one of those poles because they have a metal roof and didn't want to mount the dish on the roof.

As a Dish installer I can attest to not being allowed to mount Dishes to utility owned poles. Not only is it an extreme safety hazard it could also be considered trespassing. I don't even like putting dishes on pole mounts directly under a power line. That line comes down on the dish you got a serous condition you're going to be dealing with! I suggest buying your own pole to mount it to. Surly there is enough wiggle room on your LOS to get it off the utility own pole, and out of there right of way.

Start cutting some tree's and get it off the utility pole... your opening up a major and i mean major can of worms here - as said if the dish causes someone else's house to catch on fire its YOUR Fault!

Also keep in mind that if your dropping from 129 to 61.5 your losing a bunch of HD channels - I'd be out with the chain saw fixing this problem real quick to get that 129 back!

Talk nice to the utility people. I have seen them installing old poles in the rear of peoples houses for yard lights.

I'd remove it very quickly, aside from the liability and safety problems you'd face for having it there in the first place you might find your electricity disconnected because of the potential hazard. It's probably not a good option to think about another pole in that area because the utility probably has an easement for their access to the wires & poles. May be time to get the chain saw out.....

An easement is just that, not a you can't have anything private in it. You just can't have something that blocks the utilities path of availability to getting to their plant. If you were 10' outside of their plant area you would be just fine.

Talk nice to the utility people. I have seen them installing old poles in the rear of peoples houses for yard lights.

The ones around here will sell you a old pole but won't put it up for you, you will need to rent a post hole auger digger and several bags of concrete for this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts