Dish Online no longer beta, did they listen to any feedback? Seems NOT!

TG2

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 7, 2011
Viginia
SO ... DishOnline.com no longer builds a URL redirection to beta.dishonline.com, and when you go there, the "Feedback" no longer says "in beta provide feedback" AND when you go to the logon screens ... there is no mention of beta there either..

To summarize.. DishOnline.com is no longer "beta" and still sucks dead donkey **** in KEY aspects that Dish Remote Access at least does better for DVR & LIVE TV modes for people with Sling Adapters.

So now.. what recourse does **ANY** user have when it was obvious from the start that it was more likely a "Release Candidate" site than a "Beta" site, since NOT ONE THING from over FIVE MONTHS of feedback has been satisfactorily addressed. And that's feedback *on* their site as well as feelers that were put out by supposed dish employees here at Sat Guys..

Anyone else feel outraged that the current piss poor design of DishOnline is here to stay and anything you'd found or thought wrong with the site hasn't been addressed?

How about a list of things you've found wrong... reported, and is still wrong? ... GO !!

Did you clear your cache?

Just joking! :D I haven't been going to DO for any reason except once I found it working for playback of DVR material when DRA wouldn't. That was a case where TV2 was recording something, and I wanted to watch a different recording instead. DRA insisted on showing me the live program being recorded. It's possible the recorded program started playing on TV1 by mistake... I didn't check that!

SO ... DishOnline.com no longer builds a URL redirection to beta.dishonline.com, and when you go there, the "Feedback" no longer says "in beta provide feedback" AND when you go to the logon screens ... there is no mention of beta there either.. ...
Is there anything that Dish does that you have found acceptable? By your posts, I'm surprised they're still in business. lol

My list:

1. Grouping by default, no option to turn it off
  2. Grouping uses the show's original name, so if you've renamed any show, you won't find it under your chosen "rename"
  3. no option to see "the Guide" without completely stopping the current playback (at least with DRA you could get "two channels" displayed in "The Grid")
  4. guide at dishonline has no filter options apparently ... other than HD only.
  5. guide date drop down uses "today / tomorrow / day_name" rather than always showing the day name. at 12:01 am who in a normal frame of mind is immediately thinking correctly what "today" and "tomorrow" are? at 12:01 I'm still thinking its the previous day since I've not gone to bed yet ... I generally stop thinking that after I've gotten to 3 or 4 am of the given day ... in DRA the guide shows abbreviated day name, with the month and date numbers. (Fri, 6/03 ... Sat, 6/04 .. etc .. thus leaving subjective "today" or "tomorrow" out of the mix)
  6. REAL BUG - Clicking PLAY on any item from your DVR starts playback nearly immediately at TV1, and then starts playing on the web at the same time! Or some combination of playing on TV1 and *NOT* playing the DVR event on the computer screen, but showing live tv on it
  7. failure to see DVR
  8. failure to see events, timers, recordings etc.. on dvr
  9. mixture of NON-DVR content into the same screens as user's DVR content without giving PREFERENCE to user's DVR content, or even allowing the user the option of *NOT* grouping online content with dvr content
    This one goes BEYOND aggravation for me ... I open up Late Show with Craig, and rather than it showing the first thing I'd see as the content on my DVR (big open window with play button on it) the first thing I'd get if I pressed that play button is content DishOnline had found that *wasn't* from my dvr! its like seperation of church and state, I clicked the link for "View DVR" but you don't show me ONLY stuff on my dvr? WTF?
  10. default "search" behavior on Guide ... upper *left* side ... where on DRA that area is where a user searched for items to view, in Dish Online this *ONLY* searches the station names? what kind of sense is that? Why can't EITHER search be done from that left box.. it only seemed natural but obviously not.
  11. PLUGIN problems ... those with HBO, Cinemax, etc.. **STILL** can't watch HBO, Cinemax, and some other content providers through DishOnline if they are using FireFox 4 ... two months after the initial report on this one, with repeated reports, as well as Dish IRT and Tech Support chats taking reports for DishOnline people.

I'm sure there's more ... and I'm sure people will be upset at me for my expression of rage, but jesus when are companies like Dish going to wake up and get real. DMAIC was designed for just such a set of conditions.. Define / Measure / Analyze / Implement (improve) / Control ... and its a continuous cycle!

How did they fail? Where did they measure? Were is there a definition stage? When did they actually decide to get USER's feedback, and then they haven't worked through that feedback? So FIVE MONTHS wasn't enough time for them to realize there were some seriously wrong issues..

and lets just take one of THE WORST issues .. trying to "play" an item from the DVR View page causes playback to start on TV1 ... this happened two sundays ago when I'm laying odds "they" were shifting to Production and still this continues today. And confirmed that its happening to others not just me.

D.O. is damned lucky this customer doesn't have control over their employment.:mad:

Is there anything that Dish does that you have found acceptable? By your posts, I'm surprised they're still in business. lol
I know... and despite how angry, and disillusioned I may be or seem .. I'm still grateful that I can at least vent some of this.. If only we could get everyone on the same page and get dish to realize their problems.. get them started on fixing them .. can you imagine the outcome? its not like they would be shelling out big bucks, they already have the staff ... and many of the improvements benefit *every* potential dish customer .. not just "me" :)

Edit: There's a lot of telling things here at this previous "what do we want" type thread
http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/226235-wanted-your-thoughts-dishonline-com.html

• flash not apple-able
  • problems seeing receiver
  • several "Much harder to use than the old dish.sling.com site." or preferred dish.sling.com's.
  • Loved this one: "Until it can replicate all the features of dish.sling.com, dishonline.com is worthless to me."
and here:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/251427-dish-network-would-like-ideas-how.html

• post 23 - combine the best from DRA ..etc.
I could probably search all day and find more and more publicly accessible posts across the net (not just here at Sat Guys) which indicates that Dish had MORE than fair warning they were not hitting on all cylinders ... which again would be why i'd fire the person that was leading DishOnline since it really fails and in some ways fails even worse than Dish Remote Access did.

Last edited:
I posted in another thread that it was in Beta, so expect these issues. (Paraphrasing myself - lol) Well, it appears to be out of Beta, and it SUCKS. I won't even try to give a list of all the problems. Here's one - It says one of my receivers is online, but can't watch live programming, check my router, etc .... It says my other receiver is off line, but it CAN get live programming....... There are many many more problems, to me it is a mess. TG2, maybe I'm not as passionate about it, but you are correct, a company like Dish should have this working much better than it is.

Remote access was working great for me before all this began with dishonline. Now I can't watch any recorded program--only live. I don't watch "live" at home. Why would I want to from anywhere else? I like DN, but this was a very bad move.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)