Dish Online

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

spy178

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 3, 2007
New England
So, i have yet to hook up my 622 online. I am thinking of purchasing a cheap wireless router and trying to get it online using the wireless router as an access point. Has anyone had any luck in doing this? What type of wireless router have you used? Also, what are the major benefits in getting online? Sorry for all the questioins and thanks in advance for the help.

I had my 722 hooked up to a switch that had it's uplink connected to a wireless bridge, which then talked to my wireless router... I was actually suprised it worked so well, but I never saw that $5 fee again...

So, i have yet to hook up my 622 online. I am thinking of purchasing a cheap wireless router and trying to get it online using the wireless router as an access point. Has anyone had any luck in doing this? What type of wireless router have you used? Also, what are the major benefits in getting online? Sorry for all the questioins and thanks in advance for the help.

Yes. It takes 2 wireless routers though. I have a Linksys WRT-350N as the primary router, broadcasting wireless. I then have a Linksys WRT54GS near my 722. I had to change the WRT54GS's Firmware to DD-WRT (a free firmware). Put the router in Wireless Bridge mode, enter your wireless security setting from your main router, connect a LAN cable, and you're done.

If you get stuck, let me know & I can help you. I actually have this set up for my 722 in the living room and a 612 in the bedroom. No wire pulls...

i found it easier to just put my dsl modem/router by the reciever. purchase a 25.00 wireless card for the computer, and laptop already had wireless.

Yes. It takes 2 wireless routers though. I have a Linksys WRT-350N as the primary router, broadcasting wireless. I then have a Linksys WRT54GS near my 722. I had to change the WRT54GS's Firmware to DD-WRT (a free firmware). Put the router in Wireless Bridge mode, enter your wireless security setting from your main router, connect a LAN cable, and you're done.

If you get stuck, let me know & I can help you. I actually have this set up for my 722 in the living room and a 612 in the bedroom. No wire pulls...

Cheapest way to go for wireless is a wireless gaming adapter. Like this

Linksys WGA54G Wireless-G 54Mbps Game Adapter Linksys WGA54G

or this
Amazon.com: D-Link DWL-G820 Wireless Gaming Adapter, 802.11g, 108Mbps: Electronics

Other than the access fee, dish online is pretty lame unless your a movie nut(PPV), around 1400 movies. The tv entertainment part of the broadband side has mostly 3 min. of this & 6 min. of that. I seen info for 1 show in that section, I think the title was "Arcada". It is a show about a stripper school for strippers and housewives, sounds exciting until I see it costs $1.99 and is only 5 min long. What a joke. E* has a lot of work to do in order to make this a fun and entertaining service.

Other than the access fee, dish online is pretty lame unless your a movie nut(PPV), around 1400 movies. The tv entertainment part of the broadband side has mostly 3 min. of this & 6 min. of that. I seen info for 1 show in that section, I think the title was "Arcada". It is a show about a stripper school for strippers and housewives, sounds exciting until I see it costs $1.99 and is only 5 min long. What a joke. E* has a lot of work to do in order to make this a fun and entertaining service.

Yeah, that doesn't really seem to make it worth while yet. With having a direct internet connection, you'd think that E* would be able to offer an "on demand" service similar to cable. Maybe one day they'll be there. I don't purchase too many ppv movies and if I do, I can use my ps3 now as well. Thanks everyone for the info, it's much appreciated.

Cheapest way to go for wireless is a wireless gaming adapter.

I disagree. Those adapters run about $65, a router runs less than $50. It depends on your level of technical ability, though. If you are a geek, you go the cheap route. If you are not, you go the gaming adapter route.

For me, wireless is flakey and prone to too much interference. Most of my neighbors have Wifi and cordless phones. If you use DishOnline and want a stable connection, I would consider going the Ethernet over PowerLine route. PowerLine networking can be relatively inexpensive if you catch a good sale at Fry's. If not, then other solutions might be better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts