Dish OTA install and general new instal questions

sam1070

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Sep 2, 2014
yakima wa
so I see I can save about 12$ a month by dropping my locals during my instal tomorrow I am planning to ask the guy about the over the air antenna instalion service the dirt rep was telling me about
I was told it a 99$ charge
Do y’all consider it worth it? And does OTA work better then spotbeam locals is it better PQ etc air watch out for nd is there a big Between the two

Are there
I have 3 4K TVs are the 4K joeys worth it or should I stick with the joey 3.0 that are on the order and besides the one channel or two dish has for 4K 1 tv will have the hopper 3 connected to it
I got a free upgrade to the voice remote so how does it work and is it a good quality remote ?Ie like the TiVo vox remotes
Is there anything else I should be aware of during my instal any trucks or upsets I should avoid

This site has an Over the Air Forum combine that with www.tvfool.com and you should get some good information. OTA doesn't always work out depending on a persons location, 10 miles from broadcast towers has different signal than 60 miles from those same towers. Top of a mountain is also different from the bottom of a valley....

so I see I can save about 12$ a month by dropping my locals
during my instal tomorrow I am planning to ask the guy about the over the air antenna instalion service the dirt rep was telling me about
I was told it a 99$ charge
Do y’all consider it worth it? And does OTA work better then spotbeam locals ie s it better PQ etc over the air watching is there a big Between difference between the two

I have 3 4K TVs are the 4K joeys worth it or should I stick with the joey 3.0 that are on the order and besides the one channel or two dish has for 4K
1 tv will have the hopper 3 connected to it
I got a free upgrade to the voice remote so
how does it work and is it a good quality remote ?Ie like the TiVo vox remotes
Is there anything else I should be aware of during my instal any tricks or upsells I should avoid or take advantage of

OTA locals may include many sub channels not available on Dish. However as mentioned it depends on your location.
Where I live now I can receive 1 college broadcast station OTA. Several decades ago I could stand on the roof of my home at that time and see the broadcast tower on the next mountain top.

Yeah good luck getting the dish installer to do that.

I lay odds on it 50/50 the installer finds an excuse not to install the antenna.

The antenna is either going to be out of stock, or he can’t hook it up because it would mean he would need to run a separate wire to each Tv.

I lay odds on it 50/50 the installer finds an excuse not to install the antenna.

The antenna is either going to be out of stock, or he can’t hook it up because it would mean he would need to run a separate wire to each Tv.
I'd do it, as a side job

Reactions: NYDutch
If it's on your work order, and he's already paying $99 for it, you wouldn't do it unless he paid you extra?
That's not what I said. If it's on the W/O, that's one thing, but if someone just wants every TV cabled for OTA, that's another and since the W/O is probably only going to be for 1 TV, then yeah, if the customer wants them all cabled, it's going to cost extra, if the W/O only calls for 1

..and stop challenging me all the time

Reactions: NYDutch
That's not what I said. If it's on the W/O, that's one thing, but if someone just wants every TV cabled for OTA, that's another and since the W/O is probably only going to be for 1 TV, then yeah, if the customer wants them all cabled, it's going to cost extra, if the W/O only calls for 1

..and stop challenging me all the time

Okay, I misunderstood your post. The OP clearly stated that he had been quoted a price by DISH to install an antenna. Then Claude said the installer would find an excuse to not install the antenna. Then, you said you'd do it as a side job. I was just trying to clarify what you said.

Challenging you all the time? Who the heck are you to tell me to not challenge you? If you go on a public bulletin board and make statements and take positions, you're going to get challenged. Get over it.

Okay, I misunderstood your post. The OP clearly stated that he had been quoted a price by DISH to install an antenna. Then Claude said the installer would find an excuse to not install the antenna. Then, you said you'd do it as a side job. I was just trying to clarify what you said.

Challenging you all the time? Who the heck are you to tell me to not challenge you? If you go on a public bulletin board and make statements and take positions, you're going to get challenged. Get over it.
Because every post you've ever made, replying to one of mine, you try to call me out on something. Give it a rest

Because every post you've ever made, replying to one of mine, you try to call me out on something. Give it a rest

You flatter yourself. I wasn't calling you out. It's funny that you took it that way. You made a statement, I asked for clarification which you gave in your next post. Just because you're a DISH installer doesn't mean you're above question. In fact, I've seen several other DISH people challenging you in the past.

You don't like my posts, put me on ignore. I'll continue to post questions when I don't understand what someone says.

If OP gets a Hopper with OTA dongle, then only one OTA feed is needed- to the Hopper. All other Joey clients receive the OTA channels through the Hopper

When I had a Dish installer put up an OTA antenna for me, I only had him hook it up to one receiver (a ViP211). I added a four-way splitter and ran cables to my other TV locations myself, after the installer left.

If the OP has a Tivo Vox, which it sounds like he does, the best option is to use the Tivo for OTA alongside the Hopper for sat channels. No reason to drop the Tivo just because you're getting satellite TV. Also, the prime time anytime feature won't work with the OTA module and you can only record two OTA channels with the OTA module, not the 16 channels the Hopper can pull from the sat. On the other hand, the Tivo can record four channels.

Just a question/side notw. My OTA on hopper absolutely sucks and would not use it as a primary! 100% signal strength and the pic glitchs etc, pretty much useless unless in a downpour. I was told its a known issue with hoppers and supposed to be fixed with firmware update. That was a year ago. Anyone else?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)