Dish OTT Targets $30 Price Point

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

dfergie

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Dish Network chairman Charlie Ergen said his planned over-the-top service is on target for release by the end of the year, reiterating that he is targeting a $30 per month charge for the service.

Ergen wouldn’t idenbtify all of the channels the product will carry, but did say that he believes a charge of $1 per month per channel could be a good place to start from.

“That limits how many channels you can put on it,” Ergen said during a conference call with reporters after the satellite company’s third quarter earnings call with analysts. Dish has already signed deals with The Walt Disney Co. (for its ESPN,ESPN 2, ABC broadcast stations,ABC Family and the Disney Channel networks), A+E Networks (for A&E, Lifetime, History, LMN, FYI, H2, History En Español, Crime + Investigation and Military History) and with Scripps Networks (for its HGTV, DIY Network, Food Network, Cooking Channel, Travel Channel and Great American Country) to be carried on the OTT service. On the call, Ergen said he has signed on more networks, but did not identify them.

multichannel.com

Reactions: TheKrell
While they many not be looking for the current Dish customer to move to OTT, wonder what they would think if some made the change. While the person over 35 may not be in there current target with OTT, I don't see why folks may not be wanting to take a look at this

While they many not be looking for the current Dish customer to move to OTT, wonder what they would think if some made the change. While the person over 35 may not be in there current target with OTT, I don't see why folks may not be wanting to take a look at this
I wouldn't mind taking a look at it once it comes out. Might be a way to save some real money, but I would really miss the hopper and my I-pad transfers. I use it daily at work to watch all my primetime viewing from the night before, while I am at work and nothing is going on.

If they can get the regional sports networks and big 4 locals, I'd strongly consider it.

I dislike Dish Network but this is something I'd try as long as it was available on Android devices. Other than seeing the final channel lineup my big question is how many devices are allowed at once? If only one it would kill it for me I think. If 2 or more I think a package like this + OTA and other streaming options could be awesome.

I wouldn't mind taking a look at it once it comes out. Might be a way to save some real money, but I would really miss the hopper and my I-pad transfers. I use it daily at work to watch all my primetime viewing from the night before, while I am at work and nothing is going on.
Well, sounds like you are really getting some use out of the equipment you repeatedly, repeatedly, repeatedly complain you are paying TOO much in fees for. Compared to other company's fees and their equipment's limitations, are you really getting such a raw deal?

Last edited:
Reactions: ChadT41
Because it is streaming, non DVR experience, or more like the old liner experience before the DVR's. Also, no multiple screens, or only ONE viewing experience per account, so you wife or kid can NOT watch anything from NuTV while you are watching it.

With those limitations, no need for Charlie to worry about the vast majority of his subscribers switching to this. NuTV is obviously designed for the young ones who are single, and have no need for DVR no multiple screen viewing. They will want the service for the channels they miss or really want for which steaming services cannot provide such as ESPN, to compliment their Netflix subscription and YouTube for TV watching. What's ironic is the so many of those kids are EAGERLY willing to pay for it. Add their more expensive high speed ISP bill and the $30 for NuTV and other costs of one more streaming service and you have the average Dish bill. Also these are the same kids who pay to upgrade their phone ever 6 months and rack up hundreds of charges per month on their data plans for that $399 smart phone and they also have an equally expensive iPAD. It is all about sensibility. These folks gladly hand wheel-barrels of cash to Apple and every month to their phone carrier and at least $50 per month for that really fast internet connection they gotta have to stream really well, but they won't get a cable or sat subscription simply because they have never needed one, yet they will camp out in line for the privilege of handing about the equivalent of 3-5 months of pay-TV bills to Apple for the latest phone. They don't really save a dime; they just spend it on different things, often beyond their means.

Reactions: BBCInc and TheKrell
Well, sounds like you are really getting some use out of the equipment you repeatedly, repeatedly, repeatedly complain you are paying TOO much in fees for. Compared to other company's fees and their equipment's limitations, are you really getting such a raw deal?
Kab,
I never complained about the equipment . I love the hopper and joeys and super joeys. I do not like paying a high price for them. I have said all along that DISH creates the price they charge for their FEES and can reduce them as well if they wanted too. Tivo is offering their Tivo mini (-like the joey) for no monthly fee, if you buy them out right. I say DISH should do the same for their joeys and super joeys ,to allow their customers to enjoy some of the savings and it would attract new subs to their company.

Obviously, the price of DISH 's FEES and their decisions to hike the 2nd hopper fee to $12.00 from $7.00 and their decision to start charging for HD access after 24 month commitment for $10.00 was a factor in their 3rd quarter numbers. ( Although I hear now that they have decided to bring back HD for Life again in another thread)They lost 12,000 subs , their churn went up from 1.66 to 1.67 and their profits from 315 million last year in 3rd quarter to 146 million. Consumers are strapped and wages are flat. DISH should be doing more to attract new subs ,not churn existing subs with higher equipment fees and reviving old fees like HD fee. If you like paying more for your equipment that is fine but don't fault some of us that do not.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)