attention DIRT: the cause of the "Cancelled: By User" bug

Jim S.

When someone asks you if you're a god, you say yes
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 2, 2006
FN11od
IMG_3313.JPG
As you can see, the Hopper is attempting to record two programs on one tuner at 10:00!

This happens every week at this time, with this set of timers!

Originally, "Awkward" was also recording during that time slot. I moved the timer for that to last priority thinking it might clear up the confusion, but it didn't. Then I manually skipped it, resulting in the 12:30 showing being recorded instead, but even after the nightly reboot, it STILL wants to record "Forever" and "Town of the Living Dead" on the green tuner. I finally, after taking this picture, manually skipped the first episode of "Town of the Living Dead". Now, finally, everything at 10:00 gets its own tuner. But I shouldn't have to do that every week (or at all!) Worse, although it hasn't happened lately, in the past I've had problems with the timers I've manually skipped NOT picking up later airings. They showed up in the schedule, but when the time came, "Cancelled: By User Family Room". (This usually seemed to happen when I cancelled things close to the time the timers were due to fire. Hopefully it has enough lead time to get it right, this time.)

View attachment 102076 As you can see, the Hopper is attempting to record two programs on one tuner at 10:00!

This happens every week at this time, with this set of timers!

Originally, "Awkward" was also recording during that time slot. I moved the timer for that to last priority thinking it might clear up the confusion, but it didn't. Then I manually skipped it, resulting in the 12:30 showing being recorded instead, but even after the nightly reboot, it STILL wants to record "Forever" and "Town of the Living Dead" on the green tuner. I finally, after taking this picture, manually skipped the first episode of "Town of the Living Dead". Now, finally, everything at 10:00 gets its own tuner. But I shouldn't have to do that every week (or at all!) Worse, although it hasn't happened lately, in the past I've had problems with the timers I've manually skipped NOT picking up later airings. They showed up in the schedule, but when the time came, "Cancelled: By User Family Room". (This usually seemed to happen when I cancelled things close to the time the timers were due to fire. Hopefully it has enough lead time to get it right, this time.)

I don't believe the colors indicate which tuner is being used.

It is my understanding that the blue indicates one tuner is recording at that time, green indicates there are two tuners recording at that time (not necessarily the same tuner unless possibly they are on the big 4 networks), and the purple means that all three timers are in use at that time and you can't watch a live program then other than one that is recording or you have to watch a recorded program off the dvr.

...and how do you differentiate that from blue=tuner1, green=tuner2, purple=tuner3?

Anyway, whatever the colors mean, it certainly doesn't work when they show up like I posted!

Blue does mean tuner one, green is 2 and purple is three. It's an antiquated system from the fixed tuner systems, but every now and again it does come in handy. Anyone know what color the super Joey tuners 4&5 are? I haven't gotten hands on with one of those yet.

Gary s.: regardless of which tuner is what color, there should never be more than ONE Blue, Green, or Purple set to begin recordings at the same time. How is the same GREEN tuner going to record 2 different shows on 2 different channels at the same time? It isn't. That's how. And this creates a problem, perhaps the mystery of the missed recordings.

Yes, I like this original post too as I SWEAR my Hopper missed a few recordings that I SWEAR I saw listed in my Daily Schedule. Further, my relatives came to our house to watch two episodes of Castle (which was in our PTAT folder as we don't save that show) because they could not find the recordings on their Hopper for the last TWO weeks. They've set it to record and their Hopper has always done so. They know where to look. They even looked in the PITA folder, and it was nowhere. I did tell them that there were people on this forum who have reported the same mystery on their Hoppers, and that I thought my Hopper failed to record or save a few things I was CERTAIN were set to record.

Further, I have come across the Hopper scheduled to record the SAME show at the SAME time on the SAME channel, but I can't say that I noticed the colors. I was just shocked and appalled at such a clear bug that would have rendered me NOT to watch something on another channel while these recordings were taking place. And the waste of space and confusion. But I haven't seen it do that for a week. In my case it is intermittent and I can't find a pattern.

Yeah, I'd love to know what the response is to this question raised, as well.

Gary s.: regardless of which tuner is what color, there should never be more than ONE Blue, Green, or Purple set to begin recordings at the same time. How is the same GREEN tuner going to record 2 different shows on 2 different channels at the same time? It isn't. That's how. And this creates a problem, perhaps the mystery of the missed recordings.

One color if they are PTAT channels...

When I go back in the daily schedule to see what has been recorded, I've seen "Skipped By Priority" when there was a conflict. Don't know if that was the case here.

OK, now I've got a real mystery. Refer to the picture of my timer schedule in the first post, and the explanation of the adjustments I made to it.

Both episodes of "Town of the Living Dead" did record last night. However, "Awkward" did NOT. I scrolled backwards through the schedule expecting to see either "Cancelled: By user" or "already recorded", because both of those have happened before with rescheduled recordings. But this time was different -- there was NO record of the event at all. I think this, whatever it is, is a first! Every other time I've noticed a missing recording soon enough to scroll backward through the schedule, there's been a record of it with an explanation, even if a bogus explanation.

OK, now I've got a real mystery. Refer to the picture of my timer schedule in the first post, and the explanation of the adjustments I made to it.

Both episodes of "Town of the Living Dead" did record last night. However, "Awkward" did NOT. I scrolled backwards through the schedule expecting to see either "Cancelled: By user" or "already recorded", because both of those have happened before with rescheduled recordings. But this time was different -- there was NO record of the event at all. I think this, whatever it is, is a first! Every other time I've noticed a missing recording soon enough to scroll backward through the schedule, there's been a record of it with an explanation, even if a bogus explanation.

Yeah, and I've had two recording of the same show, as well, but we both mean recorded at the same air date at the same time, NOT the 3 hour later recording (although that is a separate bug). In fact, one time, I actually caught my Hopper in the act of recording the same show on the same channel using two different tuners simultaneously, and I mean BOTH the same HD channel. I had to investigate, confirm there were indeed two timers recording the very same content on the very same channel, and I stopped the recording at one tuner and let the other record as scheduled. It hasn't happened to me of late, but it has happened and I've had to fix the Daily Schedule a few times. This aint no ghost; its for real.

Mine will show the same channel, with the same program on two tuners, but only when I have back to back recordings matching my parameters of 3 minutes early and 1 minute late. So it only happens at 27 after, 57 after through 31 after it 01 after.

I have found most of my cancelled by user problems happen on programs with a purple tuner icon. Sunday is a day I really have to watch. Most of my shows are set to record 2 minutes over and I suspect this, at times, results in more programs recording than the Hopper can handle. (I have Hopper and Super Joey and OTA module) So, any time I see the purple icon I check to make sure there are not too many programs set to record. It's a pain but better than trying to track down and re-record a "user" cancelled recording.

I have not seen this issue but I have been able to record missed shows by finding them via search. Some appear in OnDemand.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Reactions: ChadT41
I have found most of my cancelled by user problems happen on programs with a purple tuner icon.

That's usually the case for me too, although this Sunday night I see two programs at the same time with a blue icon. There isn't even a third program scheduled for that time (unless maybe via overlap, I forgot to check that.) It'll be interesting to see if the problem fixes itself when the time comes. I don't know if I can figure out how to fix it myself, because I don't know if either of the programs repeats.

Oops, they're green, not blue. But my point still stands, there should be another tuner in use.

Made the same manual changes again early last night. Once again, sometime thereafter, the second airing of "Awkward" completely disappeared from the event list.