Dish Outage in Southern California

Twice today in Ky.

Isn't there a backup uplink facility? Do they not switch to that when they see storms coming? How exactly does that work?

There are backups, but it does take a few hours to switch over. However for locals I do not know if there are backups for those, but yes for the national channels)

Reactions: charlesrshell
OMG, ok follow along. the storms in Cheyenne are what is affecting your signal because that is where your signal is uplinked from. It doesn't matter if there isn't a cloud in the sky where you live, if the signal can't go up, then there is no signal to come down to your dish
Thanks for clarifying you meant the "uplink" side of the system in your previous statement.

There are backups, but it does take a few hours to switch over. However for locals I do not know if there are backups for those, but yes for the national channels)
Thanks. I just wonder how exactly going to the backup works. Shutdown each transponder at the primary and switch on the backup at the same time? I just wonder how they do that without the viewer noticing.

Of course "Storms in Cheyenne!" The one that passed through here earlier. I used to know that. I was doing everything I could to try to fix it. What a Numbnut!!!!

Thanks. I just wonder how exactly going to the backup works. Shutdown each transponder at the primary and switch on the backup at the same time? I just wonder how they do that without the viewer noticing.
They probably don't have a way to do it without viewers noticing but if it's so bad that they have to switch, there will simply be downtime.

So, while this was going on last night (and before I checked the Cheyenne weather radar), I noticed that all conus HD on 129 was out, but the spot beams were still good. Do they uplink the spots from somewhere else?

Spotbeams may not be "consolidated" into (1) primary location like Cheyenne. They may be uplinked regionally, if that makes sense. They have 5-6 uplink locations and they're spread out around the continental US.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)