DISH Pay as you go Help / Advice needed.

cmalberto

Original poster
Jan 28, 2013
Southeast Texas
Well first of all, let me just bite the bullet and tell you I am a DTV customer at home - currently I have a Winegard CarryAll that automatically will find either DTV or Dish sats. Works well. I also have a small SD Direct receiver that mirrors my home programming - reasonable cost I might add. I am 15 months into my contract so basically at this point I can't and unwilling to pay to terminate and convert - and not sure if I want to yet any ways.

So why am I asking something in the Dish forum you might ask? Well DISH appears to be the only provider that supply a HD receiver with my setup - haven't been able to find anything auto-portable for Direct. I guess I am a little OCD when it comes to wanting HD in my RV by I do - to the point where I am looking at Dish's Pay as you go service. So here are my questions.

Receivers...looks like the recommendation is the VIP211 or the 211K - can't remember which is newer. Seems like one drops the COAX and possibly the internal OTA(which is cool/convenient but not necessarily required). Is there a preference or is there another recommended receiver?

Service packages? I suspect I will use alot through the summer months as I have small trips planned in April, May(2-3), June(maybe), July and most likely August and Sept but not planned yet. What I am looking for is something to cover what I call the basics; headline news, espn, TBS, TNT, USA, SciFi, FX, Nick, Hallmark, Life(maybe), AMC, TVLand, Disney(maybe)...and that sort of thing.

HD Locals? My understanding here is that it depends where you are at as what the Spot is beaming.

Is that enough questions? I suppose I may think of another one or two.

So I am looking for some advice and recommendations as to what I could do.

Thanks in advance.

--Mickey

Well first of all, let me just bite the bullet and tell you I am a DTV customer at home - currently I have a Winegard CarryAll that automatically will find either DTV or Dish sats. Works well. I also have a small SD Direct receiver that mirrors my home programming - reasonable cost I might add. I am 15 months into my contract so basically at this point I can't and unwilling to pay to terminate and convert - and not sure if I want to yet any ways.

So why am I asking something in the Dish forum you might ask? Well DISH appears to be the only provider that supply a HD receiver with my setup - haven't been able to find anything auto-portable for Direct. I guess I am a little OCD when it comes to wanting HD in my RV by I do - to the point where I am looking at Dish's Pay as you go service. So here are my questions.

Receivers...looks like the recommendation is the VIP211 or the 211K - can't remember which is newer. Seems like one drops the COAX and possibly the internal OTA(which is cool/convenient but not necessarily required). Is there a preference or is there another recommended receiver?

Service packages? I suspect I will use alot through the summer months as I have small trips planned in April, May(2-3), June(maybe), July and most likely August and Sept but not planned yet. What I am looking for is something to cover what I call the basics; headline news, espn, TBS, TNT, USA, SciFi, FX, Nick, Hallmark, Life(maybe), AMC, TVLand, Disney(maybe)...and that sort of thing.

HD Locals? My understanding here is that it depends where you are at as what the Spot is beaming.

Is that enough questions? I suppose I may think of another one or two.

So I am looking for some advice and recommendations as to what I could do.

Thanks in advance.

--Mickey
Contact DIRT There are 3 models of 211. 211 silver 211K black or 211Z black.

At present getting locals HD or SD requires you to call DISH at each stop to get the locals in the spotbeam for that area, as you indicated. (Unless you are still in the spotbeam from the stop before)

If you go to the DISH website you can compare packages. As you must know from being a Direct TV customer all the channels you want may or may not be in the same lower package. Whatever package you get locals will be included in HD if they are in HD where you happen to be. (By far most are)

I have no affiliation whatsoever, but I would contact DISH DEPOT and they can give you info on the different 211 receivers which I do recommend and buy from them. They are not a DVR on their own, but you can add an external hard drive easily, and it then becomes one with recording ability.
You could buy from Ebay, I buy from Ebay often but I probably would not buy a satellite receiver there, too many pitfalls.

I would purchase a 211k if you can find one and also get an antenna so you can receive that area's local channels. I don't know what you plan on using for the satellite antenna but you can purchase either a Tailgater or the new Winegard portable antenna.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)