Dish Please Change Logos

I guess I'm one of the old folks that likes lists instead of pictures, but now everything has pictures. Dish is certainly not alone -- Netflix, Hulu and many other services all have pictures, and now my new Sony 4K TV even has all pictures... for everything, even the menu. Aaaarggh! Drives me crazy trying to figure it out.

I call B.S. Every older generation thinks the younger generation is full of idiots and they'll never amount to anything. I'm 45 and was told I would never amount to anything because I listened to rock music when I was a teenager. Most kids are idiots and WE all did stupid sh*t at that age.

Agreed. It isn't just the younger generation; it is across all age groups. Just watching my Facebook feed (I refuse to join Twitter) tells me the world is becoming a more moronic place every day, and no, I am not just talking about politics. The idiocy spans pretty much all subjects (e.g. flat earthers).

To your point, when I grew up in the 80s, I recall many kids huffing glue or White Out on the bus to/from school, so yeah, adolescents do not have full developed brains and do stupid stuff.

Reactions: pattykay
Call me crazy.. but I like the album art instead of a plain list for recordings. Makes it look sleek and modern. And I promise I can also read.. so I don’t think one has anything to do with the other. :)

And all kids (mostly) do dumb stuff. The only difference is that social media contribute to these dumb things becoming viral. If Facebook or YouTube existed back in the day, I’m sure dumb things would be just as prevalent as they are today.

Reactions: pattykay
Call me crazy.. but I like the album art instead of a plain list for recordings. Makes it look sleek and modern. And I promise I can also read.. so I don’t think one has anything to do with the other. :)

And all kids (mostly) do dumb stuff. The only difference is that social media contribute to these dumb things becoming viral. If Facebook or YouTube existed back in the day, I’m sure dumb things would be just as prevalent as they are today.

Sure, my criticism of the art-based listings do not suggest the user is incapable of reading, but I personally find it hard to find what I am looking for compared to a text-based list. I think the move to these types of interfaces do have an impact on the way people's brains function. When Apple came out with Coverflow, I thought it was cool, but quickly realized it was terribly slow for me to navigate vs. the original list. When GUIs (MacOS, Windows, etc.) replaced TUIs, it actually hampered productivity of standard business tasks because people were taking more time to move the mouse on the screen instead of just keeping their hands on the keyboard and GUI redraw time added latency to the interface. Yes, GUIs allow users to do things that are impossible in TUIs, but it slows down the workflow and slows down the users' brains. Looking at pictures stimulates different parts of the brain than reading words. In the context of the Hopper CUI, it probably doesn't matter all that much, but in a broader context, it is more significant.

Sure, my criticism of the art-based listings do not suggest the user is incapable of reading, but I personally find it hard to find what I am looking for compared to a text-based list. I think the move to these types of interfaces do have an impact on the way people's brains function. When Apple came out with Coverflow, I thought it was cool, but quickly realized it was terribly slow for me to navigate vs. the original list. When GUIs (MacOS, Windows, etc.) replaced TUIs, it actually hampered productivity of standard business tasks because people were taking more time to move the mouse on the screen instead of just keeping their hands on the keyboard and GUI redraw time added latency to the interface. Yes, GUIs allow users to do things that are impossible in TUIs, but it slows down the workflow and slows down the users' brains. Looking at pictures stimulates different parts of the brain than reading words. In the context of the Hopper CUI, it probably doesn't matter all that much, but in a broader context, it is more significant.
I wish the menu gave us a choice.

Why do you think I've held on to Windows XP and XP-mode Win7 for so long?

Anyone who has worked in Server2012 knows exactly what ncted is talking about regarding productivity.

Reactions: Tampa8 and ncted

Yes I know you weren’t saying that people who like album art can’t read.. just making a joke based on some of the posts here.. no worries.

As someone who sometimes works with Linux servers via SSH, I appreciate the productivity aspect of text versus graphics.

Also, I do agree that people have a choice. I’m all for choices! I just prefer the album art. I guess I’m a sucker for eye candy. I really haven’t given it much thought as far as the parts of the brain each type of interface affects.. it’s just a preference for a DVR menu. If you like text, I think you should be able to switch to lists. To each his or her own!

Reactions: ncted and Tampa8

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)