Dish Pointing help and what Dish is this

JohnL

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Sep 23, 2003
Spencerport, NY
I used to have Dish Network and did my own installation, since then I switched to DirecTV. I have a fellow boater with Dish Network and I told him I could help him install a Dish at his boat.

This is the dish he brought I'm at a loss to understand what type it is. Tried to get him pointed using the Eastern Arc 61.5 and 72. I was able to get signal on one satellite at a time either 72.5 or 77, but I could not get 61.5 at all. The address I was using is in North Rose New York, which gave me these settings

Elevation: 39.9°
Azimuth (true): 173.8°
Azimuth (magn.): 185.9°
Dish Skew [?]: 85.5°
Turn counter-clockwise standing behind the dish

Did he bring the wrong Dish? I have never seen a Dish LNBF like it and I don't understand why it only has 2 LNBF's on it.

Thanks in advance
John

Attachments

• IMG_20140615_184709_427.jpg
    IMG_20140615_184709_427.jpg
    565.3 KB · Views: 291
  • IMG_20140615_184715_468.jpg
    IMG_20140615_184715_468.jpg
    691.6 KB · Views: 264
The LNBF says Dish HD on though, that just doesn't make much sense to me I told him a regular Dish 500 would work better, cause the docks we are on are "Floaters" so they do move a little and the larger Dish has a tighter Focal Area and small movement may be more prone to signal loss than a smaller Dish that has a wider focal area. I have a smaller DirecTV "Phase Three" Dish that "See"s three orbital slots no problem. I was using a VIP 222 for a signal meter, and it only had three options, Dish 300, Dish 500 and Super Dish. I thought the software had the option to display signal strengths to more than one Orbital slots at a time. apparently this receiver did not.

Did you try running a "Check Switch" when you had 72.7 coming in?

I have a 211k that I use with a Dish500 to receive 72.7 & 61.5 when RVing. Pointing is always a little touchy. I guess because the software doesn't really support that hybrid installation. Sometimes I even have to run a checkswitch without the dish connected to clear the switch matrix. But if I get a signal on 72.7 and then run a checkswitch, 61.5 is usually found as well. Unless I'm getting the 72.7 on the wrong LNB and then a slight tweak on the dish point is required. I've tried covering the 61.5 LNB with tinfoil while pointing to prevent this from happening, but not sure it really helps.

Did you try running a "Check Switch" when you had 72.7 coming in?

I have a 211k that I use with a Dish500 to receive 72.7 & 61.5 when RVing. Pointing is always a little touchy. I guess because the software doesn't really support that hybrid installation. Sometimes I even have to run a checkswitch without the dish connected to clear the switch matrix. But if I get a signal on 72.7 and then run a checkswitch, 61.5 is usually found as well. Unless I'm getting the 72.7 on the wrong LNB and then a slight tweak on the dish point is required. I've tried covering the 61.5 LNB with tinfoil while pointing to prevent this from happening, but not sure it really helps.

Which LNBF side of the LNBF should be picking up 61.5. (Standing behind the Dish's reflector the LNBF on the left should receive which orbital slot)

Can't tell for sure from the pix, but doesn't look like you have any skew on the dish. The 61.5° is lower than the 72.7°. So if you are locked on 72.7° you need to skew the dish to pick up the other sat.

That looks suspiciously like a 500+ as Timberwolf suggests. The Plus dish is MUCH larger than a DISH 500; it is comparable in surface area to the behemoth DIRECTV Slimline. As long as the docks aren't pitching and tossing in the wind, this setup should work. The Plus DISH is supposed to have additional supports and without them, the dish may bend the mast over or do a parade wave in a strong wind.

The fact that the sun isn't shining on the face of the dish concerns me a little.

You're on your own to figure out what the skew should be as it probably isn't the same as the 1000.4.

I tried finding a Plus dish repoint kit (to convert the Plus dish to a 1000.5) online but struck out.

That dish is looking for the international satellite (118). Believe it or not, its picking up 3 orbital. 110, 118, and 119.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Yeah, that is most definitely a 500+ dish, and I could be wrong, because I've never tried, but I don't think that will work too well trying to pick up ea sats will it? That lnb is made to get the 110,118.7,119... And like timberwolf said, it will not function correctly with it being bent like that.

if properly aligned, the 500 plus will help with signal stabilty due to rade fade or the dock shifting

standing behind the dish, the left should pickup 72.7 and the the right off-set one picks up 61.5

normally the left picks up both both 119 and 118.7 and the right picks up 110
you could also add an extra bracket to the left side for a single lnb to get 129

Reactions: osumike

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)