Dish Pointing Info

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Pat

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 23, 2005
Can anyone tell me where I might find the zip code information that includes the degree of tilt on the internet. I found the elevation and azimuth on the Directv website but no tilt is listed. I'm trying the determine the tilt before I buy the equipment. Thanks, Pat

P.S. We have had multiple bad experiences with installers. Is it really as hard so they claim to install the PhaseIII dish ourselves? We've done multiple 18 inch round dishes and I know that the ovals are harder...........but how much harder are we talking?

Thanks,

I did mine myself and about 7 others for friends; it isn't that hard. What is your zip? I can get it from one of my HD units for you.

Thanks Bryan, I had lost those links and just use my IRD, but since he didn't come right back your post will work best.

Sorry, the forum went down, then I had to go out for a bit......thanks for the info, I appreciate it........sounds as if we can try it ourselves........thanks again.

Wait.........unless I'm doing something wrong that website didn't give me the tilt.......it only gave me the azmith and the elevation.......my zip is 04740.......maybe the tilt isn't important in determining location? We already have an 18 dish up....but we have some tree issues and may have to change the location for the phase III to work.

Yeah you're right. I didn't realize that you're setting up phase 3. I'll look around for some more to help...

I wonder if the dish 500 skew setting will work on a phase III?

Can't you look it up on your receiver?

The manual says this:

The coordinates (Azimuth, Elevation and Tilt numbers) are
based on your ZIP code and can be determined easily by using
your receiver. You will need these numbers for site survey and
antenna adjustments.
NOTE: The antenna does not need to be installed for this step.
Connect your receiver to the TV
Consulting your receiver manual, connect the receiver’s video
or Channel 3/4 outputs to the corresponding TV input. Turn on
the TV and the receiver.
Set the antenna type
Navigate to the antenna installation screen menu. Select
installation as an “oval 3-sat” (some receiver brands may call
it: “triple”, “3 sat location”, “Sat 1,2,3” or “Sat A,B,C”).
Find your coordinates
Navigate to the antenna-pointing menu screen. Enter your ZIP
code, then write down the numbers in space provided below.

Sorry Bryan, I thought I mentioned, our current receiver is an older one.......so the only info you get on it is azimuth and elevation......no tilt.....we're just trying to determine if we can get enough free airspace(no trees, etc) to make the PHase III dish work for us in the current location or at all...........

Oh ok. Unless I can find another website, hopefully charper will query your zip for you

I have a Sony B55 receiver. I thought it was too old to have the triple feed dish option in the menu, but there it was.

AZ = 251
EL = 22
Tilt = 58

awesome, that's what he'll need. Just choose elliptical dish. It doesn't matter that the pic is only 2 lnbs, they are the same size

Not sure if the RCA site takes into account your location's magnetic declination. It gave me 43/210/66 but I have mine set at 43/212/66, just keep that in mind when setting your azimuth.

I don't doubt your numbers, you have a newer unit. I just wonder why my numbers are different than yours. Any ideas?

I would have thought that if I put his zip code in my receiver, I would get numbers that are for his location. My numbers are different. If you have time, can you put in 77014 and tell me what you get? I get..
AZ = 204
EL = 51
TILT = 66

Thanks.

OH my bad, I thought you were asking me why MY location's numbers are different. I was pointing out that my actual settings are off, based on what the RCA pointing website gives and to be sure he was aware of the magnetic declination for his area, but I 203/52/66 for your zip.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Free Preview Weekend?

DishNetwork & DirecTV Intend MPEG4 Implimentation Q4'05

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)