Dish Pointing Problem!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

andrewdale

Original poster
Sep 20, 2009
Memphis, TN
Hey everyone!

Brand new hear and hoping that someone can help me here!

I live in downtown Memphis, TN and am wanting to upgrade our DishNetwork service to HD. However, it appears that the techs said something differently then the guys on the phone! So, any help here would be SO appreciated!

What direction does the dish need to point for the HD service? I ask only because there is a nice tall building directly SOUTH of us, which is the direction the techs said it needed to be pointed.

So, basic question: what direction does the dish need to be pointed in Memphis, TN to get HD channels?

Thanks for the help guys! Really don't want to deal with plain ole SD anymore!
-Andrew

Memphis is an eastern arc DMA, so the dish would be a 1000.4. The pointing angle would be 152 degrees magnetic with a 45 degree elevation angle.

Ok, so one last question! It appears that 152 is just moderately obstructed from our roof. My question is, what is the maximum angle that the dish could be pointing away from 152 that would still allow for us to receive the signal well.

It appears that we can point it around 135 to 140. Would this work? I really don't want to have to deal with the tech if it's not going to work. (The Memphis tech for DishNetwork seem to be incredibly incompetent.)

Thanks for the help, everyone.

no

Ok, so one last question! It appears that 152 is just moderately obstructed from our roof. My question is, what is the maximum angle that the dish could be pointing away from 152 that would still allow for us to receive the signal well.

It appears that we can point it around 135 to 140. Would this work? I really don't want to have to deal with the tech if it's not going to work. (The Memphis tech for DishNetwork seem to be incredibly incompetent.)

that won't do at all. If you can't hit 152 then you can hit the sat. The term LOS line of sight applies here. How tall is this building that is blocking the signal? You are pretty far south so the look angle to the sat is going to be pretty high up.

that won't do at all. If you can't hit 152 then you can hit the sat. The term LOS line of sight applies here. How tall is this building that is blocking the signal? You are pretty far south so the look angle to the sat is going to be pretty high up.

Thanks for the knowledge. The building next door is about 15 stories tall! D'oh! Could I PM you my address and you can make sure I'm doing this right?

Sorry not able to post links yet, but google dishpointer and enter the information.

1. Enter your address
2. Scroll down towards the bottom of the drop down menu and select Dish 1000.4 (61.5w,72.7w,77w).

This will give you an idea of where the dish needs to be pointed and any possible obstructions of the line of site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)