Dish pointing

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Mike phinney

Original poster
Nov 1, 2017
Apple Valley ca
hey everybody,

I know this question is beyond NOOB status but I’m just baffled. I have a hopper with sling box, and just bought a new dish for my RV. For the life of me I can’t find the dish pointing/installation menu in the hopper menu. When I hit menu on the remote the only option that makes any sense is “settings” I go there and then there’s pretty much nothing to do with dish setup. I can find the dish status area, but no where to enter a zip or location to get the elevation, azimuth and skew. I was an installer for about 7 years for DTV, but that was about 15 years ago.

I’m just scratching my head. It’s got to be easier than this!

hey everybody,

I know this question is beyond NOOB status but I’m just baffled. I have a hopper with sling box, and just bought a new dish for my RV. For the life of me I can’t find the dish pointing/installation menu in the hopper menu. When I hit menu on the remote the only option that makes any sense is “settings” I go there and then there’s pretty much nothing to do with dish setup. I can find the dish status area, but no where to enter a zip or location to get the elevation, azimuth and skew. I was an installer for about 7 years for DTV, but that was about 15 years ago.

Try www.dishpointer.com, enter your address, go to multi lnb under satellite and find your dish. It will give you the info.

Use the 1000.4 EA. Remember scroll down to Multi-LNB settings.

The internal settings from the old dish receivers have been useless for a long time. That is why they are not in the Hopper series.

A few settings for a 1000.4 & a 1000.2 were posted on one of the sites I view and they were DIFFERENT for the same locations so why would I want to use incorrect info.

Because DishPointer.com has never given me incorrect information, even when it differs from what the Dish ZIP based charts list. The settings within a ZIP area can differ more than a couple of degrees from one end to the other. And the azimuth can differ even within the confines of one RV park.

hey everybody,

The antenna aiming page is in "Settings", "Diagnostics", "Dish" (3). DishPointer.com is easily the most accurate source of aiming data.

What dish did you buy? The Hopper will not work with any of the portable dome style automatics such as the Tailgater. The only automatic dishes it works with are the Dish version of the roof mounted Winegard Trav'ler and the Dish version of the roof mounted RF Mogul Eagle, both western arc only multi-LNB dishes.

Reactions: Mike phinney
Because DishPointer.com has never given me incorrect information, even when it differs from what the Dish ZIP based charts list. The settings within a ZIP area can differ more than a couple of degrees from one end to the other. And the azimuth can differ even within the confines of one RV park.
If you expect any table to give you exact settings to aim a dish, you are foolish. For one thing, the metal in the dish, and magnetic material in the surrounds, and the placement of the compass will always be off because of magnetic variation.

And none of the scales on a dish are accurate to allow decimal point positioning. The settings, wherever you get them, get you in a very close ball park and then you tweak to get the best.

If you expect any table to give you exact settings to aim a dish, you are foolish. For one thing, the metal in the dish, and magnetic material in the surrounds, and the placement of the compass will always be off because of magnetic variation.

And none of the scales on a dish are accurate to allow decimal point positioning. The settings, wherever you get them, get you in a very close ball park and then you tweak to get the best.

I never claimed absolute precision, but there's no question in my mind having tried both the Dish charts and DishPointer.com many times which one is more accurate. The DishPointer Android app as well, has never let me down for find small gaps in the tree cover where I can get signals from one or more satellites in either arc. Those Dish ZIP lists can get you with range if you play around enough tweaking from them, but DishPointer will put you significantly closer to begin with. I've long ago stopped counting how many times I've set up my 1K4 using the DishPointer settings and had a signal right away without touching anything. Certainly it needed peaking from that point for best signal, but not much...

The antenna aiming page is in "Settings", "Diagnostics", "Dish" (3). DishPointer.com is easily the most accurate source of aiming data.

What dish did you buy? The Hopper will not work with any of the portable dome style automatics such as the Tailgater. The only automatic dishes it works with are the Dish version of the roof mounted Winegard Trav'ler and the Dish version of the roof mounted RF Mogul Eagle, both western arc only multi-LNB dishes.

I picked up a regular multi LNB dish (1000.2) and a tripod. Good to know on the tailgater thing. Was going to get one. I would need to contact Dish and get a compatible receiver for that one.

Reactions: pattykay
I picked up a regular multi LNB dish (1000.2) and a tripod. Good to know on the tailgater thing. Was going to get one. I would need to contact Dish and get a compatible receiver for that one.
The 1000.2 is a good choice since it will give you lots of flexibility for aiming on sites with trees. Whichever arc LNB came with the dish, it would worthwhile to pickup an LNB for the other arc as well. With a few hundred campsites behind us, we've yet to land on one where I couldn't get a signal from one arc or the other. Switching LNB's only takes a couple of minutes...