Dish pole mount question

Pipe OD is the same for all schedules. 1-1/4" schedule 40 pipe has an ID of 1.38".

Depending on how tall the post is, a better choice may be fence post tubing that is nominally 1-5/8" OD.

And 1-1/4" sched 40 has an OD of 1.660", close enough. I do agree that the fence post may be a better choice in many situations, although when using threaded pipe it's easy to incorporate fine tuning for plumb. That can be handy in northern areas where seasonal ground frost can cause minor shifting.

And 1-1/4" sched 40 has an OD of 1.660", close enough. I do agree that the fence post may be a better choice in many situations, although when using threaded pipe it's easy to incorporate fine tuning for plumb.
Having a tapered tube (even if it is pipe thread taper) is an all around bad idea; it makes having a plumb post relatively pointless. If you carelessly set the post out of plumb, you should bend it until it is plumb or start over. Setting below the frost line is part of the process.

The cable could be nicked with a shovel, chewed on by a rodent. Why not put it in a conduit?

Having a tapered tube (even if it is pipe thread taper) is an all around bad idea; it makes having a plumb post relatively pointless. If you carelessly set the post out of plumb, you should bend it until it is plumb or start over. Setting below the frost line is part of the process.
The way we've done it for some FTA installations, there's no taper to deal with. The pipe gets cut off about a foot from one end before planting it with the cut end down. A standard floor flange is screwed onto the top threaded end, with another flange screwed onto the cut off stub. The two flanges are then bolted together using either flat washers as shims, or my preference, a double nut stack that allows the stub to be tweaked as needed with just a wrench and a level, similar to the same way we plumbed masts with anchor bolts set in concrete for the C-band dishes. Going below the frost line is a given, but particularly in the clay soils common in parts of the northeast, the pipe will still move around over time from the freeze/thaw cycles.

I used an 8' ground rod connected with #6 copper wire to the dish and connected to a grounding block on the coax from the dish. I ran the RG6 coax through 1/2" flexible plastic conduit.
With the addition of a #6 copper wire running back to the bonding point, this should meet code.

Is it normal that Dish would charge my account a full month's payment before the system install?

Is it normal that Dish would charge my account a full month's payment before the system install?
Almost all TV providers bill a month in advance. I can't say I've seen any bill in advance of installation as the installations are usually a fast turnaround.

I'm used to paying a month in advance for TV service, but the install isn't scheduled until 27 June and they billed me on 16 June. I just hope I get 1 full month of service (i.e., up until 27 July) for my first payment's worth.

You do. They will not activate the account till the work order is closed. As an ex employee I can guarantee that

Install is tmw morning. I have the 1-5/8" dia. pole dead nuts vertical in concrete. From dish location to structure is conduit in trench. I have pull rope ready from exterior entry point to interior where Hopper will be. Then I have one 3Ghz RG6 quad shield cable from Hopper location to MBR.

I planned for 2 RG6 coax cables to be run by installer from the dish to the Hopper location. Is that correct for my setup (1 Hopper in Living Rm and 1 Joey in MBR)?

Yes that's correct. But i would run three cables as if you ever upgrade to a super joey you'll need one more. Also if a cable goes bad you'll have an extra.

Everything was installed btwn 8-9a without a hitch this morning. Installer had no issues with pull strings and configuration scheme. No ladders, etc. nec. He seemed to like that he wouldn't need to crawl around in the attic (which is very tight). Took him about 1 hr. for actual equipment install and about 10 min. to do demo. Few hrs after he left I got a feedback call from Dish. Gave the guy a '0' for ea category, which is the highest rating. Now I'm playing with the features, like DishAnywhere app on Kindle HDX...way cool. Will play with the MBr Joey later tonight.

Thanks guys for all your help. So far I'm a happy camper.

Everything was installed btwn 8-9a without a hitch this morning. Installer had no issues with pull strings and configuration scheme. No ladders, etc. nec. He seemed to like that he wouldn't need to crawl around in the attic (which is very tight). Took him about 1 hr. for actual equipment install and about 10 min. to do demo. Few hrs after he left I got a feedback call from Dish. Gave the guy a '0' for ea category, which is the highest rating. Now I'm playing with the features, like DishAnywhere app on Kindle HDX...way cool. Will play with the MBr Joey later tonight.

Thanks guys for all your help. So far I'm a happy camper.

I'd like to thank you for the 0's on his behalf.... surprised he didn't try to sell you something cause this is also something Dish pushes on its techs and I hope he connected your internet up to it and got his code that helps big time too! If not then could you connect it and run the diagnostics for him cause as long as you do it within a week it will help and not count against him.

... surprised he didn't try to sell you something cause this is also something Dish pushes on its techs and I hope he connected your internet up to it and got his code that helps big time too!

Installer didn't try to sell me anything, and yeah he did connect to internet.

Off topic...things I noticed about the remote control: It's the RF type you don't have to point straight at the receiver, which is great. Also like the 'Find Remote' feature. Question though...does it have illuminated buttons for use in a dark room? Also, is there a sleep timer function?

Installer didn't try to sell me anything, and yeah he did connect to internet.

Off topic...things I noticed about the remote control: It's the RF type you don't have to point straight at the receiver, which is great. Also like the 'Find Remote' feature. Question though...does it have illuminated buttons for use in a dark room? Also, is there a sleep timer function?

Hmm odd... most if not all are required now (which is stupid) to sell over priced stuff like screen cleaners or risk losing pay.

As for the remote, no they don't have illuminated buttons aside from those few that light up when pressed and sleep timer function as in inactivity standby is a setting of the hopper. Select menu, settings, diagnostics then updates and just select time for inactivity.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)