Dish pole mount question

Gaze

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 15, 2014
New to Dish and this site. Been browsing and learning a lot.

Can someone tell me the diameter (outside diameter) an in-ground pipe needs to be?

TIA

At least for the 1000.2 & .4, the pipe OD is 1-5/8". If using standard iron pipe, the OD of most Schedule 40 1-1/4" ID pipe will work.

Gonna do a 1-5/8" galv. steel Home Depot fence pole then. Thanks for the info. I need to get some RG6 coax cable as well. From what I understand it needs to be rated at 3Ghz, is it? Looked on Monoprice site...wow, I don't need 1000 ft. spool though. More like 100 ft. for a Hopper w/ Sling and one bedroom Joey. Only 2 of us in the house, so Hopper at LR and Joey at MBR will do nicely. Had to say adios to Cox cable. Bill climbed over $200/mo and they wouldn't cut me any deals (that's for channels comp to Dish 200, no HBO, etc., and Contour DVR with one MBR slave box, +internet).

Grounding has me scratching my head. I'm in SoCal...not much lightning here. Never seen a lightning strike anywhere within 20 miles of this area.

Why not just pay the custom install fee and let a Tech install everything which would be cheaper than trying to find small amounts of cable that you will need.
I saw the install the tech did at my dad's house recently and it was really choppy...exposed cable running around the base of the house. I'd like to pre-prep and route the cables myself. I have the concealed cable routes all ready to go. I may opt to have pull-string ready for the tech and just have him provide the proper cable. Just would like to have some control over the aesthetics of the install.

You can definitely have control over that. Just don't be overly rude to the tech about it. I'd say most techs try to make installs look as good as possible with what they have to work with. If you have the cable routing pre planned with pull strings or whatever else to make it easier, I can guarantee the tech will have no problem working with you to do it right.

Okay, sounds like a plan.

Another question...
It's several feet from pole to the house. Does the coax cable typically get direct buried in the dirt, or will I need to put it in elec conduit?

also, dish has rules about the type of cable that can be buried. you may be wasting your time putting your own cable in, only to find out the tech says he/she has to replace it. also, if you bury the pole yourself you will avoid a reschedule (for digsafe). typically techs don't have an issue doing what you want, they are just extremely rushed. a typical tech has 16 or more hours worth of work packed into a day, which leaves them finding ways to cut time off of every job. the more you can do to prep...will definitely help both you and the tech.
finally if you are doing the install yourself, grounding is not all that important, but by dish rules, may be very important to the tech. if there is no ground it may give em an excuse to cancel the job. sad to say when a tech has 2-3 too many jobs in a day, they are looking for ways to cancel one. (shrug)

Grounding is only done when available. And we have plenty of grounding options anyways but the lack of a ground will not prevent an install. Plus we get hit for how many jobs get cancelled so trust me they will try to do what they can to get that job in. Just set up the pole and let the tech do the rest. we have to make sure the right type of cable is used to make sure you dont have any problems in the future.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

If using standard iron pipe, the OD of most Schedule 40 1-1/4" ID pipe will work.
Pipe OD is the same for all schedules. 1-1/4" schedule 40 pipe has an ID of 1.38".

Depending on how tall the post is, a better choice may be fence post tubing that is nominally 1-5/8" OD.

If you are going to Home Depot for a fence pole, you can also pick up some conduit and the RG-6 you need.;)

Thanks guys for the help and suggestions. Based on feedback I'll install conduit from dish pole to house with pull string and let the installer take it from there. Grounding...umm, nothing currently available where the pole will go. IF I were to pre-prep that, not sure what it would involve. What would be considered a proper ground???

Thanks guys for the help and suggestions. Based on feedback I'll install conduit from dish pole to house with pull string and let the installer take it from there. Grounding...umm, nothing currently available where the pole will go. IF I were to pre-prep that, not sure what it would involve. What would be considered a proper ground???
Power meter, ac disconnect box, cold water pipe, 8' ground rod

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)