Dish PQ tonight

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Not watching 4k content but have noticed the past couple of days PQ better than normal. Maybe just perception but wife noticed too w/o me saying anything.

Yes, I am referring to just regular HD. They just added the regional sports in HD full time. Wonder if they freed up bandwidth somehow and using less compression?

We were watching Encore last night (Channel 340) and we both remarked the movie PQ looked good. I wasn't really thinking much more about it,so yes maybe we did notice?

I think all HD looks better on the Hopper 3 and Joey 4K they both have the new video chipset which makes the decompression better.
Plus Dish made everyone upgrade those really old Dish boxes that used the old compression on the sat freeing up lots of bandwidth.
-
There are many other post out there saying it is better on the Hopper 3.0
Anyone got any ideas on how to prove this? Those Directv guys keeps saying Dish is worse. I have had both and I think they are the same now. But does one prove it? I assume we need a way to measure it , some kind of tool.

Has the box upgrade had any effect on compression yet though, or will it even? I would imagine we would hear about it if Dish or Directv moved to H265 on normal content, it should open up a lot. That being said, I imagine the cost of this newer gear is still high. Having H265 in the H3 right now doesn’t mean anything IIRC, it needs to be sent a HEVC source.

When I left Directv over a year ago, to come to Dish, my opinion is still that Dish is a little softer, but Directv started adding more channels per TP and I think their PQ is less than it was a few years ago when it was obvious who was better.

I’m just about to the point where I don’t care about broadcast tv, I mean Blu-ray destroys it of course and it is shameful Netflix’s 720p and 1080p adaptive streaming can best what Directv and Dish put out with a measly 6mbps DSL connection.

I think all HD looks better on the Hopper 3 and Joey 4K they both have the new video chipset which makes the decompression better.
Plus Dish made everyone upgrade those really old Dish boxes that used the old compression on the sat freeing up lots of bandwidth.
-
There are many other post out there saying it is better on the Hopper 3.0
Anyone got any ideas on how to prove this? Those Directv guys keeps saying Dish is worse. I have had both and I think they are the same now. But does one prove it? I assume we need a way to measure it , some kind of tool.
Having spent some a lot of time at my Brother-in Law's Directv home, while getting him through a medical emergency, I have to say the it is better PQ, no question. But having to use his equipment was a total nightmare!

I've been jumping back and forth all day between Cox w/Tivo and Dish w/722. A couple years ago, the last time I had access to more than locals with Cox, Dish was hands down better. Today, I am having a tough time telling a difference and might even give Cox the edge on a couple channels. Tough to tell as the Dish channels change depending on what channels need the extra bandwidth on the transponder.

I've been jumping back and forth all day between Cox w/Tivo and Dish w/722. A couple years ago, the last time I had access to more than locals with Cox, Dish was hands down better. Today, I am having a tough time telling a difference and might even give Cox the edge on a couple channels. Tough to tell as the Dish channels change depending on what channels need the extra bandwidth on the transponder.

That's the thing with the variable rates. Just using content I record 10 or so episodes a season of, sometimes it looks better than others.

I also thought the PQ earlier this week was great....

Then my some of my recordings from last night (Friday 3/26) look just terrible. Heavy contrast and edge enhancement...

Come on Dish........

Having spent some a lot of time at my Brother-in Law's Directv home, while getting him through a medical emergency, I have to say the it is better PQ, no question. But having to use his equipment was a total nightmare!

I've never seen much DTV untill about a month ago. There was a significant difference in PQ between Direct and Dish. So much so, that my wife noticed and said something like "we need to get what they have. why does it look so much better?"

It's not our equipment, but the Dish service. I have other sources for what "real HD" should be; lot of times it's not from Dish. Dish PQ may be improving, but they still have a gap to close.

Reactions: cummingsje
I've never seen much DTV untill about a month ago. There was a significant difference in PQ between Direct and Dish. So much so, that my wife noticed and said something like "we need to get what they have. why does it look so much better?"

It's not our equipment, but the Dish service. I have other sources for what "real HD" should be; lot of times it's not from Dish. Dish PQ may be improving, but they still have a gap to close.
Completely agree. We use a Tivo with OTA and prefer to watch shows recorded on the Tivo because of the far superior picture quality. Using the Tivo now watching House of Cards for the same reason.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

As does Directv with their equipment. All things considered, I will stay with a Dish, happily.

As does Directv with their equipment. All things considered, I will stay with a Dish, happily.
Agree here too. Dish has the far superior DVR in my eyes. But since i have the ability to record OTA with Tivo (lifetime service) i prefer to watch network shows there. We watch all of our cable shows on the Hopper 3.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Frustrating part is PQ does vary channel by channel and time of day.
Maybe the technicians were working on the automatic compression thing whatever it is called. I have noticed too ever now and then the picture is so crystal clear almost Blue Ray level and then it goes back to I would say 720p level. I wish there was enough room for all the channels in the satellites so there was no compression. That will probably never happen.

Once h265 compression is in widespread use, that should save space and allow for better quality. But that'll never happen, all the available bandwidth will get used up by the few 4K channels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)