Dish preferred method of connecting to network

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

GreeneDish

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 30, 2009
Central VA
I currently have a 2 Hopper (one with Sling and one with Sling Adapter) 4 Joey system connected to my network with a HIC.
Once or twice a week I get issues with Dish Anywhere not seeing one of my Hoppers and requiring a reboot even though the Hopper is seeing the network.
Even when Dish Anywhere sees both Hoppers, My Receivers under My Equipment on My Dish shows the Hopper with Sling as not being Broadband connected.
Is this a issue with the HIC?
Would it be better to take the HIC out of the loop and just run a CAT-6 line directly to one of the Hoppers?
The Hopper with Sling Adapter is within easy reach of my router but there is no way to run a line to the Hopper with Sling.
Any advice would be appreciated.
FYI, I really do not want to try wireless as I already have 15-20 wireless devices sharing my network at any one time.

I'm not sure what the problem is. I have a similar setup and I think the HIC is a pretty solid way of connecting the whole system.

Yeh, my Hopper installer took the time to run some coax outside the house to use a HIC instead of Wi-Fi. I've had to reset the connection maybe twice, but otherwise, rock solid.

Thanks, as long as I know the HIC "should" work with the new HWS and Hopper with Sling Adapter I will leave it alone and see if it clears up. Both the HWS and the Sling Adapter are fairly new so it might be just a matter of software updates.

I have 2 of the original Hoppers both with Sling, and a HIC at my new place (nice, new, builder run RG-6/3Ghz wire), and it's fine
(and I have 1 Joey).
It "Should" work :)

Well, I can't explain it but I did find a solution.
When one of the receivers shows as offline, it just needs a reset.
However, resetting by using the button on the receiver or via DishAnywhere on my iMac, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, Mac Mini does not fix the issue.
Resetting via a IOS device (iPhone, iPad, or iPad Mini) does work.
So far, the receivers "seem" to go offline when trying to switch between them on non IOS devices.
All this just might be coincidence but it seems like the issue is with DishAnywhere and not my receivers or home network.

If you have a HWS and the Wifi signal is over %50 then that should be all you need or in fact I've seen it as low as %20 and still be ok. Preferred method is the router a few feet from the hopper and you plug it in with Cat5/6, run the diagnostics send status and be done with it. When we were doing the regular hoppers I was using two sling links if I had to in order to get connectivity as sometimes doing that is 10X faster and easier than running another coax just for a HIC when the costs were about the same to the company.

dvrexpander-
Am I correct in understanding that connecting the Hopper with Sling Adapter directly to the router would achieve the same result as using the HIC?
Basically the HIC takes the Cat-6 network connection and "feeds" it into the coax Dish system getting to all the Dish units.
By removing the HIC, the direct connected Hopper acts as the "translator" and feeds the other Hopper and Joey via coax.
Have I got this right?

Personally as an installer I've had better luck connecting only one receiver to the internet and using the bridging feature on the Hopper to connect everything else over the Moca. Ones that I used a Hic on or if I connected multiple receivers to the same network via various methods required more reboots. If you can get a decent signal on your wifi with the HWS I'd try that and see if it helps. Make sure bridging is enabled on only that receiver too. If bridging is enabled on more than 1 receiver it can also cause issues.

For that matter, make sure bridging isn't enabled on anything right now.

Great, thanks for the tips. Never thought to look at the bridging settings. I "think" they are off but will check to make sure.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)