Dish Prepaid Installation Options - Los Angeles?

itsmo

Original poster
May 15, 2008
I have a short window of opportunity to install a satellite dish on the apartment rooftop before a change of ownership may negate my goodwill with the landlord. I have no balcony.

I've visited a number of Radio Shacks and they're all totally clueless on Dish Prepaid. Calling Dish only yields more Radio Shack referrals.

I'd like to have the system installed by a legitimate tech, rather than try to set a 30' ladder and/or go up on the roof myself. Not scared of heights, just clumsy.

Are there any installers/dealers in LA, other than Radio Shack, that offer the Prepaid system with installation?

Also, between the 301 and the 3900 receivers, which is preferable? Does either have a low-power sleep mode?

(I'm choosing Prepaid over Postpaid, as I really want to be able to turn it on and off for months at a time. Satellite is a luxury for me. OTA and Red Box are my staples.)

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/123868-dish-network-prepaid-question-2.html

The above link is to one of the prepaid threads in this forum.

Look at post #24 on page 2 from me in which I posted the SKEW NUMBERS for the Prepaid system through Radio Shack. Those numbers are in their system and should be able to be accessed by them in their system.

It will give you the opportunity to order it if you go through Radio Shack.

I you can, get the DP301 since it is a little newer, but if your prepaid box comes with a Phillips 3900, I wouldn't worry. But it seems most of them out now come with a DP301.

Also, look in your yellow pages in the phone book(or do a Google search) of local satellite dealers in the L.A. area(or at least near you) and see if any sell the prepaid system. Some do and some don't.

HD Antenna on Satellite Mast

I have an older 25" analog set, and no plans to buy an LCD.
I picked up a Zenith ATSC converter with my coupon.
It works ok with rabbit ears, but marginally.

If I put an HD antenna on the Satellite Mount, can I run it over the same cable(s) with a diplexer, or would I need to have a discrete run for the antenna?

Is there an HD antenna that anyone would recommend, that will fit on the mast?
(I don't want to run AC power to the roof).

If I put an HD antenna on the Satellite Mount, can I run it over the same cable(s) with a diplexer, or would I need to have a discrete run for the antenna?

I don't see why you couldn't, but you would need TWO splitter/diplexers at each end to do this. And the antenna feed would have it's own cable to start.

You would connect the antenna line and the Dish line(use AT LEAST Quad shielded RG6 for BOTH) to the Diplexer to each correcponding(LABLED)input.

The connect the diplexers one output and feed that down to your apartment.

Then using another splitter/diplexer connect the one line to another Diplexer, and connect RG6 to each corresponding output(labled for either the Dish line or the antenna line), and connect each to it's proper connection(antenna to the converter box, and the Dish line to satellite in on either the 3900 or the DP301)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)