Dish PrePaid Questions

coozieman

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 27, 2007
Tonawanda NY
Looking to add the prepaid service to our summer house - but not quite sure where to purchase/install in the Buffalo, NY area. Dish's site says Radio Shack - but of course they can't do the install.

We currently have a pole sunk in the ground- with an old Direc TV dish ( 5+ years old) mounted on it. Could the install be as simple as replacing the dish and use the existing cable that was run underground to the house? Is it a simple procedure to point the new dish at the needed satellite?

Thanks for the help that anyone can provide.

If you currently have dish at you non-summer home, I would just set up a dish mover next time you go to your summer house. Bring your receivers with you and a tech will come out and install your current receivers there. Then you can just bring your receivers with you as your system will be installed at both locations and you can just change your address each time you go back back and forth (or just leave it if they are in the same market for locals). As far as I know, if you only use the service at one location at a time this is legal (although it may be in a somewhat gray area).

I could see it being Very gray if he were planning to leave working receivers behind at either location, but how is it any different than having two identical accounts and canceling one just to activate another. As Long as all of the receivers move each time, how is it any different than doing your own dish mover after the first time? The only reason I consider it somewhat grey is that some people may use the information and take it a step further, thus landing themselves in some legal trouble. Note: It IS Illegal to be using your service at two locations at the same time.

i agree, that we should be able to carry our equipment and use at different locations. unfortunatly the contract says the equipment/service is only for use at the registered residence. you aren't even supposed to have a receiver in a detached garage.

i agree, that we should be able to carry our equipment and use at different locations. unfortunatly the contract says the equipment/service is only for use at the registered residence. you aren't even supposed to have a receiver in a detached garage.

Note, I am not trying to start a battle here, only provide the OP with the best option that is legal for his/her situation. I do concede on the statement of not letting dish know about the move. After reading the Residential Customer Agreement (from: DISH Network -- About Us) it seems to indicate that as long as your let dish know you have moved, and move all of your equipment, you are in the green. AFAIK Once they let dish know that their address has changed that changes the "registered residence" you have mentioned. I appreciate your input on this pabeader, as you have been at this much longer than I have.

I would do exactly that. Set up a Dish new Dishnetwork dish ,and use your excisting wires ,and just bring you receiver you have now with you when you go. I do it with D* all the time when I go to my vacation home. I just don't get locals because i'm out of the spotbeam. And I'm not "moving" just for 2-3 weeks of service. I get CBS and NBC Conus in HD thats good enough.

Who cares , I don't ! I'm paying for my service right. Just because E* feels they need to turn your pockets inside out every chance they get ,don't make that right either. I'm not going to setup a whole new account under my same name for 2 weeks of service in my vacation home ,when I've already paid them for the services.

and as long as you never get a call from the Nazis, you'll be fine. :)

otherwise, to answer your original post, you would need a dish with lnbs and a receiver of some kind. I believe that when you setup the Pre Paid service you buy both of these items.

just make sure the pole is plumb and you'll save a lot of head aches!!

Last edited:
quote from Dish Network website...

"Order DishNOW by purchasing pre-paid hardware at your local RadioShack or DISH Network retailer!"

probably from a number of our proud sponsers too!

Just depends on how fast you want it.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts