Dish Price Increase Coming - 11/16/2021

Even when the cost of fuel and food was down it didn't stop Dish from increasing their prices every year did it?
Dish's single largest expense is the cost of programming. And that cost goes up every year, regardless of how many public disputes they might have. Retrans agreements all typically include annual rate increases.

Dish's single largest expense is the cost of programming. And that cost goes up every year, regardless of how many public disputes they might have. Retrans agreements all typically include annual rate increases.
But assuming PP is correct, Dish is bringing in more profit each year. So yes, their costs are going up, but they're not hurting.

Dish is bleeding customers as it is. Raising prices isn't going to help.
The cost of programming goes up. It isn't like the streaming services as well as the YouTube TVs, etc... aren't seeing price increases too. Dish is still the cheapest option if you want a box., and they provide a boatload of subscription choices like Flex to try and hamper the cost down. Don't want sports, they can get you that. No one else can.

It's kind of hard to feel sorry for companies blaming their suppliers for price increases (DIRECTV also does this), when they're making more and more money, it's not like they're bleeding cash.
Dish and Directv are paying more for their content though. That is a reality. An over simplified look at the number, 8.55 million Dish and 2.44 million Sling subs, at $1.76 billion net income, provides us with an average net income per customer of a "whopping" $13 a month.

I renewed my 2 year commitment a month early and got a $15 reduction a month in my flex pack from these new posted prices.

Been with Dish many years now and have been doing these 2 year commitments with the retention folks. If you are willing to stay with them for that new term, it really is the best way to minimize these increases.

Dish and Directv are paying more for their content though. That is a reality. An over simplified look at the number, 8.55 million Dish and 2.44 million Sling subs, at $1.76 billion net income, provides us with an average net income per customer of a "whopping" $13 a month.
But wouldn't that be $13/month PROFIT (net)?

I renewed my 2 year commitment a month early and got a $15 reduction a month in my flex pack from these new posted prices.

Been with Dish many years now and have been doing these 2 year commitments with the retention folks. If you are willing to stay with them for that new term, it really is the best way to minimize these increases.

Yep. I got my bill email for next month. The amount went from $157 to $206. My 24 month commitment was up. I chatted with a rep who the best he could offer was $5 off for 3 months. When I declined that less than generous offer, he gave me the retention number. I called retention today and recommitted and got my bill lowered to $137 before taxes/surcharges. Should end up well below what I was previously paying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah... $13 from a bill of $80 to $100. Does that seem excessive? That of your bill, most of it is paying for stuff.
Never said or even hinted that it was excessive. Personally, I'd love a 15% rate of return (figure average bill $100 means Dish needs $87 to break even... 13/87 = 14.9%)

Funny thing, they asked if I wanted to get the protection plan to cover shipping. I said no thanks and they paid for the shipping. :D
I don't believe Dish has ever charged shipping for a card, so I think the CSR was incorrect in making it seem you would be charged shipping for a card. The CSR may have been asking as a reflex--OR the CSR just wanted you to sign up for it knowing better. We'll never know for sure.

Dish is doing a great job of driving away customers with these constant price increases. More people will just cancel and rely on streaming services and/or an OTA antenna. In the long run Dish is hurting themselves.
I don't think any of the MVPD's have a choice but to raise prices. In fact, YouTube TV raised prices and I think they dropped some channels. The truth is the vMVPD's are going down the same road as cable and sat: the road to ever increasing prices as the media companies are now milking them for money as the media companies did cable and sat. You will be complaining about how "expensive" vMVPD's and even streaming services are in less than 5 years.

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
I don't think any of the MVPD's have a choice but to raise prices. In fact, YouTube TV raised prices and I think they dropped some channels. The truth is the vMVPD's are going down the same road as cable and sat: the road to ever increasing prices as the media companies are now milking them for money as the media companies did cable and sat. You will be complaining about how "expensive" vMVPD's and even streaming services are in less than 5 years.
YTTV went up the same $5 that most other providers went up to, they did drop RSNs ( so did Dish) but added channels, like all the Paramount group of channels, the biggest advantage for YTTV is the no box fee ( big deal in my house, have 11 rooms with TVs), no DVR fee and no locals fee, I expect it to go up another $5 next year like everybody else but it is still less expensive then Traditional Providers.

YTTV went up the same $5 that most other providers went up to, they did drop RSNs ( so did Dish) but added channels, like all the Paramount group of channels, the biggest advantage for YTTV is the no box fee ( big deal in my house, have 11 rooms with TVs), no DVR fee and no locals fee, I expect it to go up another $5 next year like everybody else but it is still less expensive then Traditional Providers.
Right, no doubt best deal NOW. The point is the media companies are getting these vMVPD's hooked. Just give it a few years and you will see in the press that the media companies start demanding "unreasonalbe" hikes in fees to vMVPD's like YTTV, and it is the cable/sat drama all over again, and even worse is the the media companies have their own streaming services now, anyway. I don't think any of the vMVPD's are earning profits yets, or they may have just done so, but not enough for the long terms without GREATLY increasing prices at some point and with having to pay MORE to the media companies. The current low price of the YTTV and its on-line competitors does NOT reflect the high cost of the programming. Dish didn't make a profit for several YEARS until they got enough critical mass, and it is well known that PROGRAMMING is far, far, far, the biggest cost to any of these cable TV/Sat or YTTV's of the world.

Point well made about no needing a box from Dish, et al, but I can't get PIP with any of the connected devices as of yet. I have to say that the Dish experience is easily superior and all the recordings I have in the DVR are for me to keep as long as I want (as is often the case) because they are stored in MY DOMICILE, not in the cloud.

At some point, I will likely have to drop linear TV Dish, et al, but keep my Netflix and Hulu and live on that because I have no desire to subscribe to any of the vMVPD's (even the vaunted YTTV) because if I make the break from Dish, then I will NOT pay $55 and up for any linear TV service, as I see that as too much money for what I LOSE with Dish. I'll just walk a way from all but possibly OTA linear TV and do fine with N and H, thank you.

Best to you and your TV watching. I don't think the young ones even both with any of the YTTV's or Sling type services and they do well without them.

I was a 20yr subscriber to Dish and just cancelled on 10/20. I just could not get past the equipment fees and 2yr agreement to get a lower price. I got YTTV and had them both for 2 months to see if I would actually like it. Unfortunately Dish lost and i finally dropped them a few days ago.

What I noticed is that the picture was actually better on YTTV and although they did not have 5.1 sound, they finally implemented it on some of the devices. 5.1 now works on my LG Oled but not my Sony Oled, Rokus, Invida Shield or Chromecast with Google TV.

I loved being a Dish Customer and preached their innovation and forward thinking through the years. Sadly not much has changed in the recent past and I could not find a good reason to continue paying leasing fees for items i already paid a hefty price to have.

Someone from retention tried their best to keep me and offered me different deals for 30 minutes. Nothing sounded good to me and decided to finally end my 20yr service.

Yes, if I remember correctly, you get the card and then call them while they configure it to work in the 722k while you wait on hold. I don't remember the sequence after that, whether I downgraded from AT 120 to Flex via the website or if they did it for me. But it was pretty easy and only took a few minutes.

I like the Flex Pack because it has what we want. I'll add the National Action Pack for things I want to watch on ESPN and then remove it that same night to avoid getting charged for it. I hope DISH keeps it for a long time.

Took me about a half hour but that was mostly my receiver. Then saw Flex on MyDish. Made the change and no locals to see if we can manage with our good but not perfect OTA reception.

Reactions: chuckster_dude
I was a 20yr subscriber to Dish and just cancelled on 10/20. I just could not get past the equipment fees and 2yr agreement to get a lower price. I got YTTV and had them both for 2 months to see if I would actually like it. Unfortunately Dish lost and i finally dropped them a few days ago.

What I noticed is that the picture was actually better on YTTV and although they did not have 5.1 sound, they finally implemented it on some of the devices. 5.1 now works on my LG Oled but not my Sony Oled, Rokus, Invida Shield or Chromecast with Google TV.

I loved being a Dish Customer and preached their innovation and forward thinking through the years. Sadly not much has changed in the recent past and I could not find a good reason to continue paying leasing fees for items i already paid a hefty price to have.

Someone from retention tried their best to keep me and offered me different deals for 30 minutes. Nothing sounded good to me and decided to finally end my 20yr service.
Take care

Dish negotiates better deals with the programmers, then raises our prices anyway. Notice that their net profit goes up every year regardless of their massive loss of subscribers.
Dish negotiates lower hikes. And Dish provides subs with more options for limited programming to keep the bill. The base Flex pack with Starz for $5 a month... and single receiver (three tuners to record from), and paying less than $70 a month. Not easy to compete with that.

If they ever take away my Welcome Pack(hopefully never), I would consider Flex Pack basic and movie pack add on, if I do not just go straight streaming.

regarding the Welcome Pack, we just noticed they removed the several music channels that had previously been included.
-side not (maybe not coincidental) we had to hard reset our Dish equipment last night because our DVR function stopped (211k w/ attached EHD)

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell