Dish Pricing Update

This really bugs me because of all the effort I went through to get my receivers connected to a phone/internet line.

Dish is not just consolidating fees, Dish is still sneaking in a rate increase on some models:

Duo Non-DVR Receivers: Currently either $5 + $5 A/O fee ($10 for SD boxes) or $7 + $5 A/O fee ($12 for HD boxes). Based on the rumored pricing, they'll all end up being $14 each. So you're looking at an additional $2-4 per box in the consolidation process (and that assumes that people were paying the A/O fee to begin with.

The only way I could see anyone saving money with the new pricing is if they only had one DVR receiver and did not currently have a "with DVR" package and were paying a DVR fee on their first receiver. Then hypothetically, the removal of DVR fees and the first box being free should reduce their rate.

Currently either $5 + $5 A/O fee ($10 for SD boxes) or $7 + $5 A/O fee ($12 for HD boxes)

The extra $5.00 is not for the A/O fee, it's for the DVR fee. Last year, they dropped the dvr fee from $5.98 to $5.00. My receivers have always been connected to a phone line, so I don't know if they charge you the extra $5.00 A/O fee on top of the $12.00.

A/O I believe stands for "Additional Outlet" fee.

So is this the same fee for the no phone line connection fee? IF so that is 5.00 per receiver after the first . You could escape this fee if you kept your phone lines or ethernet plugged in to each extra receiver. So basically you can't escape this fee at all if its included now in the price of each extra receiver. Why keep them plugged in at all then, if you are going to pay anyway?:confused:

The extra $5.00 is not for the A/O fee, it's for the DVR fee. Last year, they dropped the dvr fee from $5.98 to $5.00. My receivers have always been connected to a phone line, so I don't know if they charge you the extra $5.00 A/O fee on top of the $12.00.

I was specifically talking about Non-DVR receivers. The $5 is the additional outlet fee that was waived if you were plugged into a phone line.

I was specifically talking about Non-DVR receivers. The $5 is the additional outlet fee that was waived if you were plugged into a phone line.

So if you have the duo dvr or the 722/622/722k as your extra receiver, your new 17.00 fee will break down as the following:

7.00 lease /additional receiver fee
5.00 dvr fee
5.00 A/0-phone line connection fee
--------------------------------------

Maybe they will still credit you the 5.00 A/0 fee if You DO keep your receivers hooked up to the phone or ethernet? IF this is the case you will not see a real increase at all. Scott G. needs to ask DISH about this A/0 fee and how it works. This might be the way around the 5.00 increase.

So if you have the duo dvr or the 722/622/722k as your extra receiver, your new 17.00 fee will break down as the following:

7.00 lease /additional receiver fee
5.00 dvr fee
5.00 A/0-phone line connection fee
--------------------------------------

Maybe they will still credit you the 5.00 A/0 fee if You DO keep your receivers hooked up to the phone or ethernet? IF this is the case you will not see a real increase at all. Scott G. needs to ask DISH about this A/0 fee and how it works. This might be the way around the 5.00 increase.

I think that's the key Mike. If that's the case most of us will not see the $5.00 increase.

I think that's the key Mike. If that's the case most of us will not see the $5.00 increase.

Cool!!! Then this is basically the way DISH is standardizing their prices between hd and sd single and duo tuner receivers. Also including the price of the no phone connection fee or A/0 fee in case you don't keep them plugged in. Right now your bill will show if you do keep them plugged in a big : YOU SAVED $ 5.00! The dvr fee per receiver is being hidden in the additional /lease fees and has been included together since last year anyway.

Now this leaves one question. Scott rumored that they were going to include hd with all programming packs and do away the separate $10.00 hd fee. Or will they do this and hike the price of all programming packs by $10.00 . If so, will they jack the price of all programming packs for sd customers too? That is still the big question in my mind. Maybe they will announce this big change at CES.

Doubting it, heard of the audit Nazis?

if somehow there isnt a discount for being attached to a phone line?

the audit group will be extremely busy.

and thats bad, it makes E look like big brother.

my bet the new price has a 5 buck discount per box for phone line connection

this would make the increase 2 bucks per extra receiver, single or dual

Additional Outlet, which dish currently charges you $5 a month per extra receiver, plus dvr fee, and all the other receiver fees.

I am more than happy to upload my last 15 months worth of bill, from the time I signed up till now, I have never been charged "Additional Outlet" fee 1x. As A matter of fact I have the following charges on my bill for for the last 15 months. Yes the names and way they show up on my bill has changed a couple of times as originally I was on top 200 with $10 fee to goto 250 etc. I was never billed a $5 fee ever for anything as I have my boxes plugged into a phone line always.

Classic Gold 250 With DVR 67.99
Classic Gold 250 With - Adjustment -5.00
HD & Platinum 10.00
DHA Leased Receiver 7.00
State/Local Tax (Sales/Gross Receipts) 1.77
Total 81.76

With TWC drastically lowering their prices in my area cause of U-Verse/Fios. Currently Dish/Dsl combo is about $15 a month more(same I would have to pay Dish to cancel my contract) as my DSL is $35 a month which is why I did not cancel yet as I have no real savings by canceling but once you add the $15 current difference + $10 increase(I have 222 as my 2nd box) that is $25 more per month and that would be enough to offset my cancelation fee and I would switch in a heart beat. TWC in Los Angeles has 101 HD channels(here are none premium channels Dish is missing G4TV, ESPNU, BBCA HD, QVCHD, HSN HD, Smithsonian Channel HD, Live Well HD, AMC HD, IFC HD,We TV HD,E! HD,Style HD,Fuse HD,TV One HD, and Outdoor Channel HD ) which is more than Dish as TWC does not count regional sports from all over the country in their 101 HD count but just the 2 locals available to me. The current Promo is 2 HD DVR's, Digital Cable including 250 digital channels and 101 HD, free Showtime and TMC and 6/1 internet for $99 and price is locked in for 2 years and for an extra $10 a month you can upgrade from 6/1 internet to 15/1.5. U-Verse and Fios in Los Angeles have already come out with double packs for $99 per month which come close to TWC offering.

Remember Los Angeles is the 2nd largest market in the country so if all local providers are fighting and dropping their prices to keep customers Dish got to be smoking some good stuff to think this is a good time to try to cram down some big price increases and basically Dish is begging people to cancel and switch service to other providers who offer more HD channels than dish because the savings is more than the cancelation fee. Maybe Dish hopes tons of people cancel service and they are able to collect a 1x windfall form these cancelation. Just seems kinda of stupid for dish to try to push this new pricing structure at a time when everyone else is lowering their prices cause of double and triple plays and Dish currently has no way to offer or even compete with these providers as Dish has no way to bundle internet with their service.

If this price war lasts for an extended period we might see price wars in other major markets were both Fios/U-Verse has been deployed in large scale from cable companies trying to defend their customer bases. And Dish thinks by "increasing pricing" they are going to be able to defend their customer base?

What I really see them doing with this is trying to eliminate the perception that they are feeing people to death. By making all the fees into one per box, it looks like they will have a lot fewer fees. If they roll in the HD fee, then it will simply be package price plus one charge for each box beyond the first.

Most can't get what you have

I am more than happy to upload my last 15 months worth of bill, from the time I signed up till now, I have never been charged "Additional Outlet" fee 1x. As A matter of fact I have the following charges on my bill for for the last 15 months. Yes the names and way they show up on my bill has changed a couple of times as originally I was on top 200 with $10 fee to goto 250 etc. I was never billed a $5 fee ever for anything as I have my boxes plugged into a phone line always.

Classic Gold 250 With DVR 67.99
Classic Gold 250 With - Adjustment -5.00
HD & Platinum 10.00
DHA Leased Receiver 7.00
State/Local Tax (Sales/Gross Receipts) 1.77
Total 81.76

With TWC drastically lowering their prices in my area cause of U-Verse/Fios. Currently Dish/Dsl combo is about $15 a month more(same I would have to pay Dish to cancel my contract) as my DSL is $35 a month which is why I did not cancel yet as I have no real savings by canceling but once you add the $15 current difference + $10 increase(I have 222 as my 2nd box) that is $25 more per month and that would be enough to offset my cancelation fee and I would switch in a heart beat. TWC in Los Angeles has 101 HD channels(here are none premium channels Dish is missing G4TV, ESPNU, BBCA HD, QVCHD, HSN HD, Smithsonian Channel HD, Live Well HD, AMC HD, IFC HD,We TV HD,E! HD,Style HD,Fuse HD,TV One HD, and Outdoor Channel HD ) which is more than Dish as TWC does not count regional sports from all over the country in their 101 HD count but just the 2 locals available to me. The current Promo is 2 HD DVR's, Digital Cable including 250 digital channels and 101 HD, free Showtime and TMC and 6/1 internet for $99 and price is locked in for 2 years and for an extra $10 a month you can upgrade from 6/1 internet to 15/1.5. U-Verse and Fios in Los Angeles have already come out with double packs for $99 per month which come close to TWC offering.

Remember Los Angeles is the 2nd largest market in the country so if all local providers are fighting and dropping their prices to keep customers Dish got to be smoking some good stuff to think this is a good time to try to cram down some big price increases and basically Dish is begging people to cancel and switch service to other providers who offer more HD channels than dish because the savings is more than the cancelation fee. Maybe Dish hopes tons of people cancel service and they are able to collect a 1x windfall form these cancelation. Just seems kinda of stupid for dish to try to push this new pricing structure at a time when everyone else is lowering their prices cause of double and triple plays and Dish currently has no way to offer or even compete with these providers as Dish has no way to bundle internet with their service.

If this price war lasts for an extended period we might see price wars in other major markets were both Fios/U-Verse has been deployed in large scale from cable companies trying to defend their customer bases. And Dish thinks by "increasing pricing" they are going to be able to defend their customer base?

You are in a rare area that has many choices for HD. I have 3 choices here E* , D*, or a really bad cable system that offers less than 20 HD channels. So you are very lucky to have so many options. Until the whole country gets this many options all will have to pay more. I can't complain since I was quick enough to get Absolute I'm paying around 75 a month for it with 3 premiums and that is a good value. Would I like more sure but not for the prices out there.

my bet the new price has a 5 buck discount per box for phone line connection

this would make the increase 2 bucks per extra receiver, single or dual

According the the Dish employee Scott quoted in Post #1, it is.

You are in a rare area that has many choices for HD. I have 3 choices here E* , D*, or a really bad cable system that offers less than 20 HD channels. So you are very lucky to have so many options. Until the whole country gets this many options all will have to pay more. I can't complain since I was quick enough to get Absolute I'm paying around 75 a month for it with 3 premiums and that is a good value. Would I like more sure but not for the prices out there.

How am I in a rare area? Los Angeles is the 2nd largest city in the US, I have a felling NYC, SF, SD, Chicago etc all the major cities in the US are in the same boat or close to it with the difference being the level of U-Verse/Fios deployment and how aggressive local cable companies are defending their customer base.

Sure in rural area's their might not be much competition and the cable companies might be bad but 70% of the country lives in 20 largest cities. So unless Dish plans to only try to be compete in rural america they are screwed. I am sure most of the cable systems in the top 20 cities are on par to Los Angeles or close to it.

For example I have friends or family who live in San Diego and Las Vegas and San Francisco and NYC. In both San Diego and San Francisco has rolled out U-Verse/Fios service and prices are not as cheap as Los Angeles as the same bundles are $119 vs $99 and do not include free showtime and in Las Vegas where this is no U-Verse/Fios this is no special at all and Cox charges $135 for a similar package. In NYC TWC for $99 gives 1 DVR and 1 HD box, 250 channels and 118 HD channels, 25/5 internet service. As U-Verse/Fios expands more and more in the major cities across america and cable companies start to defend their customers bases prices will continue to drop. TWC in SD and SF both offer over 80 channels which is about the same as Dish and I have a felling cable companies in area where U-Verse/Fios is being deployed aggressively are areas where cable companies are expending their HD offerings aggressively as well to compete with U-Verse/Fios which both offer the most HD channels and Fios not only has most HD channels but does not even compress any channel they broadcast the same feed they get from the content provider which is why they have the best picture quality.

Hey Scott, since the TurboHD packages will remain (under new names), will we be able to add the packages via our online account on dishnetwork.com? Or will it stay how it is now where we have to call and speak to a CSR to add it?

Also, since the HD-only packages will be staying around, any possibilities of them adding channels to them?

My 25 year old son has a mini-Apple computer with Netflix and streaming video over the internet and I was impressed for the $10 a month he is paying at his home. This is the future of television. Back in 1997 when I first went with Dishnetwork, it was a great alternative to the cable company. It has now BECOME the cable company.

Cable and satellite is dying and they don't even know it. I may go the internet streaming video route just to get rid of the advertisements every 8 minutes, the incessant pop-up advertisements in the middle of programming, snipes on the old school networks, and the general slop we have to wade through to get a few minutes of decent content. The fact that the channels we watch most often are available in streaming form (including HGTV for the wife) is pretty much making the dropping of Dish after 13 years a done deal for our family if these increased fees are implemented in February. ENOUGH!

What I really see them doing with this is trying to eliminate the perception that they are feeing people to death. By making all the fees into one per box, it looks like they will have a lot fewer fees. If they roll in the HD fee, then it will simply be package price plus one charge for each box beyond the first.

I think you are right. They definitely need to change the widely accepted perception that they are the kings of Nickel and dime fees. They also need to address the fact that HD is the new NORM in most households and that HD is not a premium any more. IF they simply roll the 10.00 fee into each programming pack ,you get hd with any pack . I doubt that they will just give people hd without the increase, even though that would make subs flock to them if they did. My question still remains if they standardize Hd with each programming pack , what happens to those with just SD? Will they have to tuff it out and accept a $10.00 increase for their programming that they can not even see?

I don't think that 70 % have that access

How am I in a rare area? Los Angeles is the 2nd largest city in the US, I have a felling NYC, SF, SD, Chicago etc all the major cities in the US are in the same boat or close to it with the difference being the level of U-Verse/Fios deployment and how aggressive local cable companies are defending their customer base.

Sure in rural area's their might not be much competition and the cable companies might be bad but 70% of the country lives in 20 largest cities. So unless Dish plans to only try to be compete in rural america they are screwed. I am sure most of the cable systems in the top 20 cities are on par to Los Angeles or close to it.

For example I have friends or family who live in San Diego and Las Vegas and San Francisco and NYC. In both San Diego and San Francisco has rolled out U-Verse/Fios service and prices are not as cheap as Los Angeles as the same bundles are $119 vs $99 and do not include free showtime and in Las Vegas where this is no U-Verse/Fios this is no special at all and Cox charges $135 for a similar package. In NYC TWC for $99 gives 1 DVR and 1 HD box, 250 channels and 118 HD channels, 25/5 internet service. As U-Verse/Fios expands more and more in the major cities across america and cable companies start to defend their customers bases prices will continue to drop. TWC in SD and SF both offer over 80 channels which is about the same as Dish and I have a felling cable companies in area where U-Verse/Fios is being deployed aggressively are areas where cable companies are expending their HD offerings aggressively as well to compete with U-Verse/Fios which both offer the most HD channels and Fios not only has most HD channels but does not even compress any channel they broadcast the same feed they get from the content provider which is why they have the best picture quality.

I really don't think that 70% of the public have the choice that you are being offered. If they did then prices would come down. But it would be nice to see figures tto see what percent actually have choice this wide. I know that with the exception of about 4 cities in TX we don't have this kind of choice and it is the second largest population in the US.

It's quite common for cable companies to charge higher fees for extra receivers ($8-$10 each) and additional TV's with DVR service ($7-$13 each). If these new pricing changes come into fruition, it sounds like Dish will be losing another advantage they currently have over cable.

wrong.....I live in Minneapolis which is one of the top 20 markets and we have Dish, Direct, or Comcast...some areas around Mpls/St Paul are Medicom or Charter but thats it

no fios
no uverse

Minnesota is mainly Qwest territory for phone and they hawk Directv...Qwest is in 14 states with a few large cities
Mpls
Omaha
Denver
SLC
Seattle
Phoenix

and a lot of smaller areas (they're in MN, IA, NE, ND, SD, ID, MT, CO, UT, WY, OR, WA, AZ, NM)...damn I remembered all of them :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)