How long to format EHD on 211k?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

bentjm

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 12, 2006
Just hooked up and activated a WD My Book Essential 1TB drive to my 211k. It went through the "you have a EHD would you like to format it and restart" cycle multiple times - it took about 10 minutes each time. It is now stuck on the "your EHD is being formatted" screen - it has been on there for about an hour. The lights on the hard drive are showing activity.

What should I do now?

I just did my Seagate TB 1 to my second 211 K this afternoon & Total time was about 15 min. from when I attached the USB cable and it did a reboot

It ultimately resolved itself and is now working.

But, it has made the 211K extremely slow to change channels, bring up the guide, ... Has anyone else seen this?

Yes on my 211k it is slightly delayed in response to the remote control commands. I guess that is the trade off to having the 211k becoming a dvr.

I chatted with Dish tech support. They say I am up to date with software, etc. This is not a slight delay. It takes up to 30 seconds to switch channels. If I remove the hard drive it goes back to normal.

I guess I could take the drive back to Walmart and swap it for another one.

I replaced the WD My Book Essentials drive from Walmart with one from Best Buy - they are different. Different part number and different controls. This fixed the problem. So, either the Walmart drives are inferior or I got a bum one or the initial formatting (it took several tries) was bad.

Either way it works now with no discernable delay.

Thanks for your responses.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts