Dish Pricing Update

:

But suppose I have a 2nd 722. Will I then pay $17 for it? Not by the Dish CSR's reconing, because we start subtracting the A/O fee if it's online and in all cases we subtract the $6 DVR fee since that's (after Feb 1) applied per account and not per DVR as now. So, if we don't pay $17 for a 722 as a primary receiver, and we don't pay $17 as a secondary receiver, then why is that table as it is? :eek: This new fee chart defies all reason.

I'm guessing it's because a bill is more customer friendly if it looks like this:

Receiver Fee $17
DISCOUNT -$6 DVR Fee
DISCOUNT -$5 Thank you for hooking up a phone line.

Than this does:
Receiver Fee $7
DVR Fee $6
No Phone Line $5

Even though the total amount is the same. For most customers, they will be happier seeing the discount.

I am going to wait untill the dust clears out after Feb to see how I really feel about the price increase, I know to expect a price increase each year around 3-4 dollars or so. I dont like it but I know it happens. In reading some of the posts I have downgraded from AEP to 250, and I have a 612 and 722K As it appears at the very least the DVR fees will not be waived anymore, so thats a savings for me right there, as I was not really watching tons of the preimums.

I dont want to sound like a "Fan boy" for Dish, but I am pretty happy with the service and channel selection I am getting. Would I like more HD, of course that what "Satelliteguys" want right? But the national selection is pretty good. If in 2010 we get ESPNU, I will be pretty set.

I think the first quarter of 2010 may set the tone for what new HD we may get???

I was reading the other site and found it funny they were picking on me for releasing this information and now the tune has changed and they are acting like they are the authorities on the price change.

At least we know where they go to find their real satellite information. ;)

Happy New Year Everyone!

I was reading the other site and found it funny they were picking on me for releasing this information and now the tune has changed and they are acting like they are the authorities on the price change.

Happy New Year Everyone!

Your right Scott, Read over there as well, always intresting :)

Happy New Year Everyone!

There is another site?????? ;) There is no other site!!!!!:up

I'm guessing it's because a bill is more customer friendly if it looks like this:

Receiver Fee $17
DISCOUNT -$6 DVR Fee
DISCOUNT -$5 Thank you for hooking up a phone line.

Except there will be no "DISCOUNT -$6 DVR Fee" line. You will not get another $6 discount from the $17 on the second DVR.

Than this does:
Receiver Fee $7
DVR Fee $6
No Phone Line $5

Except if the phone line is connected, it also gets the "DISCOUNT -$5 Thank you for hooking up a phone line."

Think of it like a car - if you lease a car, you are still responsible for all the maintenance, repairs, insurance, etc. DHPP is kind of like purchasing an extended bumper-to-bumper warranty that will pick up any repair expenses for the leased equipment but not necessarily the towing. It has been my experience though, with Dish's protection plan, the CSR can waive the service call fee under certain circumstances (I just had a conversion a couple weeks ago to 61.5 from 129 due to a botched install 2 years ago and was not charged - I was told it would have been $50+ without DHPP).

Unlike a car lease, though, there is no buyout option at the end of the lease. In fact, the Dish lease is really a perpetual lease that you continue making payments after the contract is up, though they will often swap out equipment for newer models after the contract period is up (and sign you up for another 24 months).

ts7

Thanks for that explanation. That makes sense and I can see some of the value of keeping the plan. Before your reply I had really been thinking of terminating the DHPP after my free trial is over. I take it you would recommend keeping the plan? I have the 722k. If I was to purchase my 722k, can I still get the DHPP and would it still have basically the same benefit as on lease equipment?
Thanks & Happy New Year!
Ghpr13:)

ts7

Thanks for that explanation. That makes sense and I can see some of the value of keeping the plan. Before your reply I had really been thinking of terminating the DHPP after my free trial is over. I take it you would recommend keeping the plan? I have the 722k. If I was to purchase my 722k, can I still get the DHPP and would it still have basically the same benefit as on lease equipment?
Thanks & Happy New Year!
Ghpr13:)

Yes.;)

DISH Network - Support - Dish Home Protection Plan

Let's assume the standard dish customer subscribes to the silver 200 with four tvs... a 625 and a 322.

currently paying $57.99 (Dish DVR Advantage) + $5 second receiver = $62.99
will be paying $52.99 + $6 Dvr fee + $14 second receiver = $72.99

Ignoring tv2 fees and/or credits they may be receiving if their tv2 fees are waived.

That sucks, but still, compared to direct...

$58.99 choice package (2010 pricing) + $6 dvr fee + (3 addt'l receivers x $5) = $79.99

If you're the type who doesn't want the hassle of jumping companies every other year, Dish still seems to be the pricing winner, and will probably still be appealing to new customers. And if you're an existing customer with one receiver, you're probably pretty happy too that their is no price increase other than a dollar if you're losing DVR Advantage.

The problem is for the existing customers with more than one reciever, when looking at 15%+ price increases, people generally want to jump ship on principle, and people don't tend to think long term when looking at those directv promotions. I really think Dish would've been wise to grandfather all existing receivers under the old pricing structure.

Let's assume the standard dish customer subscribes to the silver 200 with four tvs... a 625 and a 322.

currently paying $57.99 (Dish DVR Advantage) + $5 second receiver = $62.99
will be paying $52.99 + $6 Dvr fee + $14 second receiver = $72.99

Ignoring tv2 fees and/or credits they may be receiving if their tv2 fees are waived.

That sucks, but still, compared to direct...

$58.99 choice package (2010 pricing) + $6 dvr fee + (3 addt'l receivers x $5) = $79.99

If you're the type who doesn't want the hassle of jumping companies every other year, Dish still seems to be the pricing winner, and will probably still be appealing to new customers. And if you're an existing customer with one receiver, you're probably pretty happy too that their is no price increase other than a dollar if you're losing DVR Advantage.

The problem is for the existing customers with more than one reciever, when looking at 15%+ price increases, people generally want to jump ship on principle, and people don't tend to think long term when looking at those directv promotions. I really think Dish would've been wise to grandfather all existing receivers under the old pricing structure.

Good points, I have looked at the Directv site just to get an idea of what things would cost with a comparable package, I am not thinking of moving just wanted to see the price, and the one year promo its over 100.00 compared to about the 80 or so I am paying now. Plus if you want more then one HD reciver, its costly!

I have the 250+HD and a 722k and 612 with a third TV conected as TV2. (The 10.00 HD credit I am getting helps!). I droped down from AEP, as it looks like with the new pricing DVR is not waived and the savings were a better advantage then the premiums

Hard to do

Happy New Year Everyone!

My only problem is I don't just read. I type an answer and James doesn't like some of them. Then he deletes and sends me rude PM's.:D

I have the 250+HD and a 722k and 612 with a third TV conected as TV2. (The 10.00 HD credit I am getting helps!). I droped down from AEP, as it looks like with the new pricing DVR is not waived and the savings were a better advantage then the premiums
So your equipment fees currently are either

a) DVR Advantage: $5 dvr fee on the primary, and $12 lease on 612 = $17
b) without DDA: $11.98 in DVR fees plus $7 lease on 612 = $18.98

New price: $6 dvr fee + $10 lease fee on 612 = $16

Nice to see someone coming out ahead!

Think of it like a car - if you lease a car, you are still responsible for all the maintenance, repairs, insurance, etc. DHPP is kind of like purchasing an extended bumper-to-bumper warranty that will pick up any repair expenses for the leased equipment but not necessarily the towing. It has been my experience though, with Dish's protection plan, the CSR can waive the service call fee under certain circumstances (I just had a conversion a couple weeks ago to 61.5 from 129 due to a botched install 2 years ago and was not charged - I was told it would have been $50+ without DHPP).

Unlike a car lease, though, there is no buyout option at the end of the lease. In fact, the Dish lease is really a perpetual lease that you continue making payments after the contract is up, though they will often swap out equipment for newer models after the contract period is up (and sign you up for another 24 months).
Actually, I have just the opposite experience. I used to lease cars, and I used to go in for scheduled maintenance, and there would be no charge. If something failed, they replace it, no charge. When I crashed one, I had to pay for it (yay for insurance and accident forgiveness). Recently I just bought a new car, and when I went in for my scheduled maintenance, I was floored by the $200 or so bill; I had never had one before.

So with a leased receiver, I was expecting the opposite of what you explained; namely, free maintenance and repairs on equipment failure. I would have only expected to pay if I dropped the damn thing or threw a glass of water on it...

So I have:

TurboHD Silver with HD 49.99

That's it. What will my new monthly bill be?

Thanks for your help.
I'm fairly certain that's broken down to $44.99 for the THD Silver + $5 dvr advantage. Former would stay the same, latter would break off and go up to $6, $50.99.

New price: $6 dvr fee + $10 lease fee on 612 = $16
Interesting. This means you don't "buy" the math in the OP, where you subtract the $6 DVR fee from receivers other than the 1st, and another $5 in A/O fees if the phone line is connected. Note that Scott has stated that numerous CSRs have all been telling him the same thing, namely that his bill is going up around $30. There is no way you can come up with "only" $30 when Scott has 6 HD Duo DVRs, without doing all those subtractions from the breathtaking 5X$17 that Scott is now facing. :eek: Perhaps the Dish math differs for AEP, and the rest of us get socked with the full $17 on subsequent receivers... :down

Interesting. This means you don't "buy" the math in the OP, where you subtract the $6 DVR fee from receivers other than the 1st, and another $5 in A/O fees if the phone line is connected. Note that Scott has stated that numerous CSRs have all been telling him the same thing, namely that his bill is going up around $30. There is no way you can come up with "only" $30 when Scott has 6 HD Duo DVRs, without doing all those subtractions from the breathtaking 5X$17 that Scott is now facing. :eek: Perhaps the Dish math differs for AEP, and the rest of us get socked with the full $17 on subsequent receivers... :down
First receiver is free, each additional hd-duo dvr receiver is $17... $17x5 plus one account-level dvr fee of $6 = $91
Old pricing... ($5.98 x 6) dvr fees plus ($7 x 5) addt'l receiver lease fees = $70.88
or for DDA... $5 dvr fee + ($12 * 5) lease on additional receivers = $65

And of course figure in tv2 fees as well. In regards to TV2 fees... some of the details are still fuzzy to me. Seems like they're going away for everyone (but sometimes the wording leads me to believe they may try to keep charging existing customers, hope not), and if you have them waived now you'll get some temporary credits. Not really giving the temp credits too much thought, since they're a little confusing and just temporary anyway, I'm assuming in hopes that you're less likely to take action over two smaller increases rather than one larger one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)