Dish Pro Dish 500 LNB "Y" Bracket

DaveO

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
Well, I can't see any way to fit this single Dish Pro LNB onto the arm of my DTV 18" dish.

Does anyone see a problem with using a Y bracket that is used with Dish 500s? One side empty doesn't bother me, but I'm wondering about the offset from center reaching 61.5.

Dave

Geez.. Sorry I've posted several posts on hooking up a dish for 61.5. After reading the retailer Charlie Chat info, it seems that the channels that I need the 61.5 dish for will be moving to 110, which I get with my Dish 500.

I was especially wondering about WCBS. If anyone has any later info about the HD channels moving would you please post it? Meanwhile, I'll try to give my DishPro single LNB away on Ebay.. :)

Dave

Dave
As of the 19th (I think..its either the 18th or 19th), the HD on the wings (except for CBS) is moving to 110. You will still need the 61.5 dish if you have CBS-HD

Do you get the Boston locals?? (your list Western MA as location) If you do, there are 5 channels on the wing. You could call dish and ask to get the 2nd dish. They would give you all the necessary equipment to receive those channels and install it for free. That would also give you CBS-HD.

Iceberg said:
Dave
As of the 19th (I think..its either the 18th or 19th), the HD on the wings (except for CBS) is moving to 110. You will still need the 61.5 dish if you have CBS-HD

Do you get the Boston locals?? (your list Western MA as location) If you do, there are 5 channels on the wing. You could call dish and ask to get the 2nd dish. They would give you all the necessary equipment to receive those channels and install it for free. That would also give you CBS-HD.

Bummer, it's WCBS I want to get as I get LD nets. I used to have Boston locals, but they called one day and told me that they were going to spot beam and I wouldn't be able to get them (crap!)
I think the real reason was that I am in the Springfield/Holyoke profile area, although they will never have locals, and I can't get stations from there anyway due to the terrain where I am.

It's probably not worth putting up a dish for one channel, but I do have the LNB and Dish, just need the cable and switch (and a way to put a Dish Pro LNB on a DTV dish).

Dave

Dave
there are some PI channels on 61.5.

What does the arm on the Direct dish look like? If its curved (or like a "D"), maybe the DP LNB will fit directly onto it..Otherwise, you could use "the handy man's secret weapon" (yes, duct tape)..

If the Direct arm is too wide for the "Y" adapter, you probably could rig the adapter (maybe cut the sides)..

I'm just guessing here. I havent used a Direct dish before.

Iceberg said:
Dave
there are some PI channels on 61.5.

What does the arm on the Direct dish look like? If its curved (or like a "D"), maybe the DP LNB will fit directly onto it..Otherwise, you could use "the handy man's secret weapon" (yes, duct tape)..

If the Direct arm is too wide for the "Y" adapter, you probably could rig the adapter (maybe cut the sides)..

I'm just guessing here. I havent used a Direct dish before.

It's rectangular, looks the same as Dish arms do. I don't see anyway I could bend it to get the Dish Pro in. Maybe the best way is with the Y bracket. I just didn't know if the offset on the small dish would throw things off a bit.

The y-bracket will stick the LNB outside of the focal point for that 18" dish. Stick with the duct tape method or check out a Dish 500 with no LNBs on EBay for ~$20.

KTI made dishes for DISH and for Hughes both had the "D" tube required for Dish Pro LNBFs. If you can find a used DISH 300 dish or a Hughes Directv 18" dish your in business you can also probably buy a new 24" dish with a "D" tube.

dlsnyder said:
The y-bracket will stick the LNB outside of the focal point for that 18" dish. Stick with the duct tape method or check out a Dish 500 with no LNBs on EBay for ~$20.

Yes, there are several Dish 500s on Ebay without LNBs pretty cheap.

I wondered if the focal point would be screwed up on the 18" dish, but won't the same thing happen with the Dish 500 with the offset yoke?

As to the duct tape, looking at the LNB and the rectangular arm, I don't see how it can be made stable with duct tape as the LNB is D shaped, and the arm is rectangular.

Dave

I've been using a Dish 500 with a single LNBF and the Y-bracket to get 61.5 for over two years with no issues. Works great despite offset. NO problems. I'm in Washington State, with a very low elevation angle to 61.5 (11 degrees) and I am getting signal strength of 90-100 with this method. In fact, I just replaced the single LNBF I had there (legacy) with a DishPro single LNBF just last week. Still works great.

Ironically, the "one side empty" does bother me, and you would think that Dish would offer a single bracket, but they don't. (I get why-- as the 500 was designed for 110/119 and two LNBFs, but I still don't like it.) I've also tried Dish Depot, etc., but they don't offer anything either. You cannot mount the LNBF directly to the mast, and I strongly recommend against the duct tape method, as that will degrade over time.

Seattle Satellite Guy said:
I've been using a Dish 500 with a single LNBF and the Y-bracket to get 61.5 for over two years with no issues. Works great despite offset. NO problems. I'm in Washington State, with a very low elevation angle to 61.5 (11 degrees) and I am getting signal strength of 90-100 with this method. In fact, I just replaced the single LNBF I had there (legacy) with a DishPro single LNBF just last week. Still works great.

Ironically, the "one side empty" does bother me, and you would think that Dish would offer a single bracket, but they don't. (I get why-- as the 500 was designed for 110/119 and two LNBFs, but I still don't like it.) I've also tried Dish Depot, etc., but they don't offer anything either. You cannot mount the LNBF directly to the mast, and I strongly recommend against the duct tape method, as that will degrade over time.

Thanks for the info. I had a previous message touting the same setup and I went on Ebay and was lucky enough to get a dish 500 with Y bracket but no LNBs for $5.99. I already have the dish pro single LNB, and all I need now is the cable, about 100' worth, and a DP34 switch.

I agree, I want a permanent installation and duct tape up there on the roof didn't seem like a good choice for me.

Dave

John Corn said:
I have a Dish 500 using a Y bracket with 1 LNB mounted on one side, works good for me.
Yes that works for a DISH500 (20" dish) but he is talking about using the y-bracket on a DISH300 (18" dish) which will NOT work.

DaveO said:
[Thanks for the info. I had a previous message touting the same setup and I went on Ebay and was lucky enough to get a dish 500 with Y bracket but no LNBs for $5.99. I already have the dish pro single LNB, and all I need now is the cable, about 100' worth, and a DP34 switch.

I agree, I want a permanent installation and duct tape up there on the roof didn't seem like a good choice for me.

Dave
If your DISH500 dish has a TWIN or QUAD LNBF (non-DishPro) you can use a SW21 and cascade the two dishes to the HD receiver. It will save you money over buying a
DP34 switch.

fslove said:
DaveO said:
If your DISH500 dish has a TWIN or QUAD LNBF (non-DishPro) you can use a SW21 and cascade the two dishes to the HD receiver. It will save you money over buying a
DP34 switch.

I'll have to look into a non Dish pro single LNB. I bought a dish 500 with a Y yoke. I'll have to look into the cost of a Legacy twin and single LNB.

Thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)