Dish products that missed the mark or never made it to market

i had a 7100 DishPlayer and had no problems with it. (I was one of the few lucky ones!) I actually really liked it. I replaced it with a 921 which cost me big bucks to purchase. It was a nightmare from Hell.

Reactions: navychop
But the 942 dvr that they came out with after this one was wonderful. I had two of these and they worked great.

Ahh...the 942. My first ever DVR...what a life-changing event that was! :D hehe

Very stable box, too!

Ironically, also the piece of hardware that made me, perhaps, the maddest I've ever been @ Dish...when they started the transition and MPEG4 and the shiny new 622, by not allowing certain HD channels to display on the 942. NOT because those particular HD channels were actually MPEG4, but just because they were flagged as such so as not to appear on the 942. Then, to cap all that off, if memory serves, that same 622 wasn't initially available to existing subs...even though those channels couldn't be watched without one. I recall having to beg the Exec Office to take my money, to exchange my 942 for said 622. :confused:

#1 must be the Sling Extender. Just because implementation was botched, does not mean it could not have been done right and succeeded. I believe it was killed because Dish didn't see any good way to charge a monthly fee for it.

This was not the case at all it was not released because it was not reliable and could not provide a consistent high quality picture all the time.

It was built on Wireless G technology and every time your wife used the microwave you would lose picture.

If your kids started watching Netflix the bandwidth quality would drop and so would the picture quality.

I had one of these and believe they made the best choice by never releasing it to the public.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I have a GigE network throughout my house. I'll bet the Sling Extender would have worked great for me.

I remember Scott posting pics from a show (don't remember where or when) with an HP NAS capable of storing and sharing recordings made on VIP DVRs. Can anybody find that? It would have been a de facto whole house DVR system long before the Hopper. And please don't tell me it failed because it was 802.11G! I suspect DRM requirements were the principle reason for its demise.

Hey believe in black helicopters if you want but I am telling you the real reason it was scrapped... It wasn't reliable and did not offer a consistent experience.

The technology has changed a lot in the 4 years since it was supposed to be released.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I have a GigE network throughout my house. I'll bet the Sling Extender would have worked great for me.
Probably so, but Dish could not guarantee success with it through broad implementation, with differences in peoples houses and wireless setups, etc.

IIRC it was supposed to work alongside the 922 as a whole home solution. The problem was that dish wasn't able to create a consistent user experience and scrapped the concept in favor of MOCA.

Reactions: Scott Greczkowski
Probably so, but Dish could not guarantee success with it through broad implementation, with differences in peoples houses and wireless setups, etc.

I very seriously don't like that excuse. Does Dish "guarantee success" with their broad implementation of Sling to PC clients? I've streamed a lot of different videos, including HD videos, and the ONLY ONE that gives my underpowered PCs trouble is the Dish Sling stream through the DishAnywhere plug-in on my browsers. In fact, it's so bad I don't use it. I bought a Sling Adapter for nothing.
IIRC it was supposed to work alongside the 922 as a whole home solution. The problem was that dish wasn't able to create a consistent user experience and scrapped the concept in favor of MOCA.

Interesting point. Why does MOCA work wirelessly just fine and dandy on most users' Joeys, while the Sling Extender could not?

I very seriously don't like that excuse. Does Dish "guarantee success" with their broad implementation of Sling to PC clients? I've streamed a lot of different videos, including HD videos, and the ONLY ONE that gives my underpowered PCs trouble is the Dish Sling stream through the DishAnywhere plug-in on my browsers. In fact, it's so bad I don't use it. I bought a Sling Adapter for nothing.
The core of what they do is bring TV signals into peoples homes. If the sling extender couldn't reliably and consistently provide a signal from the base receive to the client, then it was wise of them to not bring it to market.

Interesting point. Why does MOCA work wirelessly just fine and dandy on most users' Joeys, while the Sling Extender could not?
Remember that is not an officially supported hardware implementation. It is up to the user to fix it if it doesn't work. I would imagine the sling extender would work in most situations, but they would be relying on non-dish hardware(your wireless router) to carry it.

With the Wireless G Technology... imagine watching the big game... your team is about to score and then *poof* picture goes out.. why because your wife was heating your Buffalo Wings in the microwave.

This is the reason why the Wireless Joeys use 801.11AC and are on their own private network so on network traffic won't bog down the signal.

Krell you can keep denying this wasn't the case but I can insure you it was the case and a reason why I am glad they never released it. And one other thing the COULD charge you monthly for it as your Sling Extender had to be registered with them to work. So that argument don't hold any water either.

With the Wireless G Technology... imagine watching the big game... your team is about to score and then *poof* picture goes out.. why because your wife was heating your Buffalo Wings in the microwave.
I see the serious problem here. Heating Buffalo Wings in the microwave. Blasphemy!

OK, but neither of us watch football nor do we like Buffalo Wings. :D

There is a simple solution to the wireless problem you are fingering. If the Sling Extender had an internal wireless adapter, disable it in the firmware and just go with wired. You also didn't address the implications of a wireless dongle for the Joey. Why does that work and the Sling Extender could not? That's a genuine technical question, and I understand if the answer is, "We don't know".

The Sling Extender would also work good for many... but not so good for others. The issues included the layout of the house, how the house was constructed, what materials were used etc. In my house it worked good in one room but did not work so good in the next room over from that. Also the crowding of your WIFI in your neighborhood etc... To many veriables that DISH couldn't control.

Talk a look at people with Wireless Genie Setups a lot of people love it, and a lot of people hate it. (That uses Wireless N) The same goes for people with Wireless UVERSE boxes. For some it works for many others it does not work.

That is why they never officially supported wireless Joey setups until they came out with their own Wireless Joey system.

Reactions: TheKrell
dishrich said:
The E* 5400 receiver/DVD player combo, never made it to market; it was a 4900 receiver w/a built-in DVD player...probably just as well it DIDN'T make it anyway...

Here ya go

Attachments

• image-3586314298.jpg
    image-3586314298.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 187
Reactions: Stargazer
I remember the first time Dish and Direct talked about a merger. They had this mesh prototype dish, maybe even a dual reflector to keep the size of it down (like what WildBlue used), to use orbital locations from both providers. I am curious as to why they do not go with mesh. It would help prevent windload and may be lighter and cheaper.