Dish PVR ?

raytgal

Original poster
May 3, 2006
:confused: I had a Dish PVR 501 that roller over and died. I'm looking to get a replacement and am very confused about all the choices. I would like some input about what y'all think would be the best choice. Regular not HD since I don't have a HD TV.
Also, I had someone at Dish Network tell me that I would have to pay the extra PVR charge even if I own the box. Appreciate input and THANKS.....
Ray ;)

DVR fees are charged for any receiver except 501, 508, and I think the 722. If you have AEP or higher the dvr fee is then waived. There are also dual tuner dvr's available, but if you do not hook an active phone line to it, there is an additional tuner fee. You can buy receivers from retailers or places like e-bay, you just have to make sure there is no balanced owed (if you want to get another 501 or 508). Most people seem to like the 625 or the 622 (the last is an HD receiver, both are dual tuners).

Well here's my input for SD DVR's. Others wil give theirs im sure. someone beat me to most of this whilst i was posting but oh well ! :)

You could get another 501 or 508 replacement on eBay - no dvr fee.

You could go for the larger 510, single tuner, more storage, again off eBay - has DVR fee.

you could go for the newer 522/625 dual tuner dual output sd dvr's and pay the dvr fee. Go ebay, dish or one of the sponsors of the site, like dishstore.
Oh! you would also pay another $5 fee if you dont connect it to a phone line.

BTW DVR fees are waived if you get the top packages.

I love my dual tuners, makes watch TV a much better experience, with PIP, record and watch another program. etc. so that would be my recommendation. Also you dont need a HD tv to have a HD DVR, the picture i find better on my SD tv with my HD receiver.

I suggest you call DISH and add DHPP to your account for $5.99/Mo. and get your 501 replaced under that warranty. After DISH replaces the 501 just cancel the DHPP and stop paying the $5.99. It is one of the fringe benefits of being a DISH subscriber. No need to buy a replacement receiver get it "FREE".

I just replaced a "owned" 501 without the warrenty. They gave me the option of subscribing or just paying an up fron fee of about $36 (one time) if my memory serves me correctly. You have to return the old 501 and they provide you a pre paid return sticker and you use the same box. You keep the book, UHF remote, and UHF antenna. That beats e-bay and it is all risk free.

Yep. Do what JWC said. Or move up to a 721 dual tuner with no DVR fee- if you can find one.

721s arent nearly as reliable as 500 series.

theres a workaround to replace the 501 harddrive with a much larger one used in 510s, to E it will still be a 501 but the box will think its a 510 but no DVR fee.

choice of hard drives is limited and it requires some computer skills, theres a internet group that helps do this but doesnt steal service just upgrade hard drives

You are certainly correct about the 5xx series being more reliable than the 721. But the 721 has a better EPG (show summary at top) and dual tuners. Enough to make me very happy to have one. But I might start making backup copies of stuff from it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)