Dish Rated as Worst Company to Work For by Employees

Direct will only do service work on Christmas, thanks giving and New Years. The other holidays they will do work but they don't push customers to have work done on that day. I know for a fact that Dish CSR's will tell a customer that they are booked for 2 weeks and the only appointment they have is on a holiday. As they have told me that personally, and I know the guys that work at the RSP that covers my area, they were not that busy.

Last edited:
As with any job Dish employees are free to leave. If Dish is really as bad a place to work for as some say, they will lose all their good employees and go downhill. No company can maintain a workforce that does not like the working conditions.

With any company there will always be some unhappy workers. At least in the US the workers have the opportunity to work elsewhere. Unfortunately some will always have a negative attitude no matter what the job or circumstances. They will never find a job they love because they want to hate everything. Essentially if they are still with Dish and hate it so much, they have no one to blame but themselves.

Afakasi - no reason for that kind of language in a public forum. I don't work for Dish directly, but in the past we (my company) did subcontract work and fell under all the rules we are discussing. I am nice to my customers, because I like to think I am a nice guy and have no reason not to be nice. Your "ticking time bomb" statement is just dumb. If you don't have something useful or intelligent to say, keep it to yourself.

Mike123abc, in this economy, very few can afford to just quit what ever job they are lucky enough to have.

Ok Guys no need for the extreme profanity....lets cool it down..;)

mike123abc said:
As with any job Dish employees are free to leave. If Dish is really as bad a place to work for as some say, they will lose all their good employees and go downhill. No company can maintain a workforce that does not like the working conditions.

With any company there will always be some unhappy workers. At least in the US the workers have the opportunity to work elsewhere. Unfortunately some will always have a negative attitude no matter what the job or circumstances. They will never find a job they love because they want to hate everything. Essentially if they are still with Dish and hate it so much, they have no one to blame but themselves.

Trust me! Like I said in my last post , when I find something else iam out!
Iam looking now... I will get a pay cut if I leave so iam trying my best to put up with dishs BS for now.

I don't remember if as a tech we got holiday pay because that was a long time ago. It pains me to hear that the DNS techs don't get holiday pay because (as recently as 2011), CSC staff got holiday pay (8 or 10 hrs of straight time) added to their check each week that included a holiday on top of the regular hourly pay. I think there was about 10 in all. Also, at the time that I left, I made over $19/hr as a Dr. Dish agent before adding anything else to the check. The pay was great and the semi-annual appraisals (that came once a year) always meant a 6-10% increase in pay for me since all my metrics were in order. However, the pay wasn't sufficient to overcome bad working conditions, the slave-driver attitudes of the bosses, the lack of open promotions, the angry customers, etc. I had to leave, the job was making me a bad person, I was irritable at home, had no tolerance for others, snapped at people a lot. Had I not left, I doubt my wife would have tolerated me much longer.

The person talking about the OT being limited to 5 hours is someone who works in the CSC because that was the only mandatory overtime requirements and it was usually imposed around price increase time, or during takedowns, etc. I know DNS techs will have 15 hours of overtime added just by adding another overbooked day to their workweek. Overtime in the CSC wasn't an issue for me, in fact, I signed up to work it all the time until I burned out. If they ever graphed my voluntary overtime, they will see that up until about the last 2 months of my employment, I was all over signing up for overtime. Also, before you blame the burnout on the overtime, nope, that wasn't the final straw. The final straw was when they changed what I did there without my input. I liked being a Dr Dish agent because I had great skills at fixing stuff because I had knowledge going back to the beginnings of DISH. Then they wanted me to fix other companies crap like the Google TV, Wildblue, network issues, etc. I went from being an expert at DISH to being a newbie at all the other stuff they had their hands in.

My time was limited there anyway. You can't make $19+ an hour in a skillset that typically maxes out at $16-17/hr. I had a boss confide in me that if you make too much at what you do, either you promote or you get replaced. Funny thing is that very thing happened to one of my other supervisors after I left. I found this out while doing his DirecTV install for him. He got canned along with a lot of people I knew there simply because they had been there a long time and made a lot of money being good at what they do. I knew the writing was on the wall.

Rorshach85 said:
That's what your not understanding. YOU DO NOT GET HOLIDAY PAY OR ANY ADDITIONAL COMPENSATION WHATSOEVER. If Christmas falls on a Tuesday you get paid like its any other Tuesday. And I know for a fact that is not the norm with most service jobs. A good friend of mine is a line technician with AT&T and he gets paid double time and a half when he works holidays. And its volunteer basis only. And once again why are people who don't work for Dish and probably couldn't even make it through the first ninety days the only ones defending the company at all? Besides the reviews at glass door just look at the outpouring of overwhelming dissatisfaction from the techs on this forum. Not one tech on this site or that I work with would disagree with the findings on that survey whatsoever.

In house techs do.get holiday pay. I can not say about subs or Rep guys.

I work RSP. which is almost the same as inhouse. We drive the same vans wear the same uniforms use the same tablets and are subject to the same rules.

Rorshach85 said:
I work RSP. which is almost the same as inhouse. We drive the same vans wear the same uniforms use the same tablets and are subject to the same rules.

Amen same here.

Essentially you are told you're a bad employ until the day you accept it when they pull 3 nonsense CSAT writeups they've been holding out in the cabinet and "separated".

Anyone here-in saying otherwise is either new or not an employ at all.

Sent from my fingers.

mike123abc said:

You're hilarious.

You are surely talking out your @$$.
Because these have been the conditions here forever.
And FYI everyone does quit it's why their turn around is so high.

You really should listen to the fish about the conditions of the sea...

Sent from my fingers.

My time was limited there anyway. You can't make $19+ an hour in a skillset that typically maxes out at $16-17/hr. I had a boss confide in me that if you make too much at what you do, either you promote or you get replaced. Funny thing is that very thing happened to one of my other supervisors after I left. I found this out while doing his DirecTV install for him. He got canned along with a lot of people I knew there simply because they had been there a long time and made a lot of money being good at what they do. I knew the writing was on the wall.
You got to love the American corporate way. Corporate greed is killing this country:eek:.

Is it corporate greed though?

We all want to be paid more for what we do and what we earn is never enough. Of course if companies paid people what they thought they (the employees) should make imagine what our bills would be. It's a big catch 22.

There is a lot of stuff DISH does (especially to installer and retailers) that I do not agree with... in fact some of what the do I think should be considered illegal. (And DIRECTV does it too...) but there are things DISh does well. I know many people who have worked there for years and years and love it. And then there are other who cant stand it.

I do think that there needs to be some big changes made. DISH should be a FUN place to work. But from what I have seen in my times going to the HQ and call centers, its a dark quiet place where someone is always looking over your shoulder waiting for you to mess up. DISH could do a number of things and make work fun without a big outlay of cash.

I have managed call centers before and the first step in rebuilding broken moral is to hire competent CSR's and Train them well. If the first person you talk to manages to get everything right , its considered a miracle. In our case , it was the returns department that moral was broken because of the constant problems that stemmed from the very first step in the ordering process. CSR's need to be trained to ask the right questions and properly note the answers. The technician in Dish's case, which I once was as well, is only going by how well the CSR managed to get everything right. From my experience Dish's CSR's are on par with most CSR's on the planet which is not saying much, because they are either under trained or P$d because they had to take a huge paycut from their last job because the economy sucks. Ownership are always going to take the side of the customer. That is why there is a direct correlation with Dish's claim to be #1 Customer satisfaction and the report that Dish is one of the worst companies to work for.

You're hilarious.

You are surely talking out your @$$.
Because these have been the conditions here forever.
And FYI everyone does quit it's why their turn around is so high.

Sent from my fingers.

And yet they manage to maintain a workforce of many thousands of people. Very few people end up with the dream job that they love to go to day in and day out. It is called work for a reason. Perhaps it is the economy that keeps them in a job, perhaps it is decisions they made years ago like where they wanted to live, education, etc... Again the people working there have decided to stay for one reason or another - as bad as they think it is at Dish, it is the best for them at that moment.

Unfortunately the bigger the company the more rules they seem to have in place. People making the rules tend to be removed from the work they are making rules about. They pretty much know people will do a lot of things to not lose their jobs, so they make the rules that push it to the edge.

Anyone here-in saying otherwise is either new or not an employ at all.
Bingo

Bingo plus!

Is it corporate greed though?
Yes. When you fire your best people because they make too much money, it is greed, pure and simple.

But, you are probably right that it is not only greed but a fair amount of stuff all stirred together. From what I can tell, there is a fair amount of incompetence/complacency/mismanagement/poor decision-making. But, much of that is originally driven by cost-cutting aka greed.

mike123abc said:
And yet they manage to maintain a workforce of many thousands of people. Very few people end up with the dream job that they love to go to day in and day out. It is called work for a reason. Perhaps it is the economy that keeps them in a job, perhaps it is decisions they made years ago like where they wanted to live, education, etc... Again the people working there have decided to stay for one reason or another - as bad as they think it is at Dish, it is the best for them at that moment.

Unfortunately the bigger the company the more rules they seem to have in place. People making the rules tend to be removed from the work they are making rules about. They pretty much know people will do a lot of things to not lose their jobs, so they make the rules that push it to the edge.

The job is great. The pay is good.
The micromanaging over metrics that are demographically driven but uniformly enforced throughout and constant demotivational 'you are a bad technician because this person didnt have IP connectivity' writeups and lectures are no doubt bad business.

Dish cares about 1 thing....

It isn't ethics.

It's the bottom line.

As for that workforce: it operates of wax on wax off practices ever 2-3 years.

It's just a job.
Definitely not a career.

Sent from my fingers.

And yet they manage to maintain a workforce of many thousands of people.... It is called work for a reason. Perhaps it is the economy that keeps them in a job...
You answered your own question. In almost every case of people staying in bad jobs, it is because they will not be able to find another, or it will actually be worse in some way.

This is exactly what the employees are complaining about. So, it appears you are agreeing with them? Certainly, you can't be defending that corporate behavior.

Luckily, in my geography, the economy is picking up, and companies are starting to revert to the same employee recruitment and retention policies that were prevalent prior to the bust. (Now, if only home prices can stay depressed a little longer, while the hiring and wages go up...)

You answered your own question. In almost every case of people staying in bad jobs, it is because they will not be able to find another, or it will actually be worse in some way.

This is exactly what the employees are complaining about. So, it appears you are agreeing with them? Certainly, you can't be defending that corporate behavior.

Luckily, in my geography, the economy is picking up, and companies are starting to revert to the same employee recruitment and retention policies that were prevalent prior to the bust. (Now, if only home prices can stay depressed a little longer, while the hiring and wages go up...)

I am not defending Dish or the employees. I am just pointing out a basic fact of life that work tends not to be a fun dream job. There is always a reason people have the job they have. Employer's objectives tend to be different than employee's objectives. Surveys of disgruntled workers will exist at pretty much any company, even companies that most people would think is a dream job. People will change jobs to what they think is better and find out there are new problems they did not know about, or that they thought would not bother them when they took the job.

You can either approach it with a good attitude and not let it get to you, or you can enter a negative downward spiral which causes you to give up a job which really turns out to have been the best for you at that time. I am not saying to stop looking for a better job or opportunity which could come up at any time, but to not let your job dislikes spill over and ruin your personal life.

mike123abc said:
I am not defending Dish or the employees. I am just pointing out a basic fact of life that work tends not to be a fun dream job. There is always a reason people have the job they have. Employer's objectives tend to be different than employee's objectives. Surveys of disgruntled workers will exist at pretty much any company, even companies that most people would think is a dream job. People will change jobs to what they think is better and find out there are new problems they did not know about, or that they thought would not bother them when they took the job.

You can either approach it with a good attitude and not let it get to you, or you can enter a negative downward spiral which causes you to give up a job which really turns out to have been the best for you at that time. I am not saying to stop looking for a better job or opportunity which could come up at any time, but to not let your job dislikes spill over and ruin your personal life.

There you go again...
How exactly are you supposed to not let a job ruin your personal life when you're forced to work holidays, 13-15 hour days, physically and mentally exausted through a ruthless work schedule and constant belittlement by management, and advised to answer your phone; check emails; and submit paperwork on OFF days!?

When you figure out a legitimate answer to that, you'll have fixed the disgruntled CURRENT employees issue.

Until you can, let the fish tell you how much urine is in their water and stop trying to comment based on it's color from a distance. We are the ones swimming in it.

Sent from my fingers.

There you go again...
How exactly are you supposed to not let a job ruin your personal life when you're forced to work holidays, 13-15 hour days, physically and mentally exausted through a ruthless work schedule and constant belittlement by management, and advised to answer your phone; check emails; and submit paperwork on OFF days!?

When you figure out a legitimate answer to that, you'll have fixed the disgruntled CURRENT employees issue.

Until you can, let the fish tell you how much urine is in their water and stop trying to comment based on it's color from a distance. We are the ones swimming in it.

Sent from my fingers.

And yet you chose to work at Dish. And by what you say have worked there for a while, so you have your personal reasons for taking the job and staying with it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts