DISH Reaches Long Term Agreement with DISNEY / ESPN / ABC

Does Aereo really erect one antenna per subscriber? That alone seems fishy to me.

A quick Google search will show exactly how they do it, and that they do. Somehow I don't think the networks are simply taking the word of Aereo that they do!

A quick Google search will show exactly how they do it, and that they do. Somehow I don't think the networks are simply taking the word of Aereo that they do!

Aereo is pretty strict about where you can view channels..if you subscribe and live in NY.if you loan your login to someone in LA..they will not get NY channels

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

There has been little else that hasn't been discussed in this thread. Aereo was pretty much all that was left to discuss that hasn't been hammered on in the previous 2600+ posts. I think somewhere in the 700's posters found a cure for cancer, in the 1200's came to a consensus over a Middle East peace deal, 1700's developed a viable American model for a la carte programming, and 2300's created a new Hopper app for bluegras to use to request channels.

We simply have run out of ways of asking "Is a deal done yet?"

all that and we still couldn't come up with a good college football playoff system :rolleyes::D

Does this Aereo discussion belong here? If someone were looking for info on this or wanted to chime in, would a thread on an ESPN / Dish deal be the place to go?

Where oh where are the mods? Hello? Mods?

The discussion evolves around the Disney - Dish deal; the Hopper and its technology are apparently holding up any deal. It is completely related. If Disney challenges the Hopper and pushes it far enough then Dish can easily look to Aereo technology as a back door resolution for locals. Not only will Disney kill retransmission deals for itself and its owned stations, but it will kill the entire retransmission system forever. There is a balance here. Sure, ultimately Disney could withhold the ESPN and other Disney properties, but remember that Dish is approximately 1/5 - 1/6 of that total viewing audience, so that would be a huge pill to swallow - I am not sure any business could absorb 18-20% of its revenue overnight and survive. ESPN has all sorts of contracts negotiated that require a certain cash outlay and that cash outlay is dependent upon having the number of subcribers it does, not 18 - 20% fewer.

The point is that with this deal there are a lot of balls in the air. The issue with the Hopper and Aereo is that they could easily be combined to completely destroy the revenue of local channels as we know it. There is no way Aereo could be illegal based upon the laws and technology we have today, period. Sure, Congress can come in and write a new law that says even though every piece of this technology is legal by itself, when it is combined by one company it's illegal. I sincerely doubt that will happen.

So, in the end, ABC is keeping the status quo for the moment, and it may very well remain that way until the Aereo is heard and ruled on by the Supreme Court. But if Aereo is found illegal, then Dish has to scramble and Disney has the upper hand....but if Aereo wins, Dish's hand just got stronger.....Or will both parties sign a long term deal now and put off the future? Time will tell.

The discussion evolves around the Disney - Dish deal; the Hopper and its technology are apparently holding up any deal.

Did you miss the news that Dish agreed to settle with Disney over autohop?It's been widely reported.

So, in the end, ABC is keeping the status quo for the moment, and it may very well remain that way until the Aereo is heard and ruled on by the Supreme Court. But if Aereo is found illegal, then Dish has to scramble and Disney has the upper hand....but if Aereo wins, Dish's hand just got stronger.....Or will both parties sign a long term deal now and put off the future? Time will tell.
Oh god, I hope the Dish - Disney agreement is hashed out before Aereo is ruled on in the SCOTUS. Otherwise, that'll mean a few more years (plus?) of ESPN U in SD... and approximately 23,000 more posts asking "Is it done yet?"

Did you miss the news that Dish agreed to settle with Disney over autohop?It's been widely reported.

We have been in a holding patter here forever (well, ok, like 5 months). Is this really just about some lawyers pouring over every last page? Or is there something else? Is it really "settled"? The longer this goes on without something official, the more I wonder if this is actually done.

We have been in a holding patter here forever (well, ok, like 5 months). Is this really just about some lawyers pouring over every last page? Or is there something else? Is it really "settled"? The longer this goes on without something official, the more I wonder if this is actually done.
Availability of media is expanding in ways that are really stretching the imagination of lawyers. Each side needs to be certain they are signing off on what they actually think they are signing off on. Disney wants to make certain they aren't signing away the yacht, where as Dish wants to make certain that they aren't setting themselves up for an asterisk battle over whether availability over the web counts as additional material and Dish needs to pay extra for that.

What makes me hopeful is that Disney didn't burn Ergen's body in effigy like they did last year at the Corporate annual meeting. That symbolizes progress in my mind.

There is no signed agreement of any kind that has been released. The news media reports (half of them blogs w/o journalistic integrity) simply speculate that there is an agreement in principle that is working its way through the various organizations. Until both sides complete their review and sign on the line there is no deal.

And no one knows what exactly is in this purported deal. We hear that Dish is on board, for example, with SEC network. Nothing has been confirmed.

My suspicion is that the whole deal is a horse trade. For Disney to accept the Hopper, Dish has to sign onto SEC and so forth. This way each side claims victory and can point to something specific it got from the deal.

But until the contract is signed and any changes (+ or -) are outlined in a press conference or suddenly appear on my TV, there is nothing more that speculation. Don't equate speculation with a signed deal. Also watch out for the silly blogs that purport to be journalism - they are not.

Availability of media is expanding in ways that are really stretching the imagination of lawyers. Each side needs to be certain they are signing off on what they actually think they are signing off on. Disney wants to make certain they aren't signing away the yacht, where as Dish wants to make certain that they aren't setting themselves up for an asterisk battle over whether availability over the web counts as additional material and Dish needs to pay extra for that.

What makes me hopeful is that Disney didn't burn Ergen's body in effigy like they did last year at the Corporate annual meeting. That symbolizes progress in my mind.

True enough, but BOTH sides need each other. Dish has about 15M customers. That's a LOT of revenue to Disney

Hopefully Wednesday will be a good day
BJgSQDD.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts