DISH Reaches Long Term Agreement with DISNEY / ESPN / ABC

Scott if I were the president of ESPN I would also state a deal will be done if asked about a deal with dish.

What do you expect him to say, our demands are unrealistic and a deal cannot be reached or dish is unfair so of course we can not reach a deal?

Also if a deal is reached that it will be in the high side as the article pointed out.

If our prices goes up by more then 15% we can safely assume dish agreed to ESPN high prices.

I do hope a deal does happen, but if one is in place this early then it is safe to assume dish agreed to ESPN Hugh increase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

If a deal wasn't eminent,you would be seeing scrolls,advertisements,etc,telling you to call Dish before the channels are dropped.Just like all the others do,and have done in the past.Our local Raycom channel started announcements at least 2 months before they were pulled.The internet news sites would also be all over a story like that.So I'm not sure why you are so apprehensive about this.

I think that is the very point. People are cancelling service. Due in part to the ever increasing cost of the programming and or ever increasing DISH FEES in our case. At this rate the satellite/cable model of today will be gone fast. Between cord cutters and the newer generation of never will sub to pay tv- period, you see the point of diminishing returns is converging. IF each channel keeps forcing these never ending increases for their content they will fast kill the golden goose. ESPN is one of the biggest hogs there is for the price of their channels.

When it becomes to expensive we will cancel our service. Right now we can afford it. Plus I don't mind paying for the convenience of watching what we want when we want. Our Hoppers make watching TV easy and fun. So we'll continue to pay. The day it becomes to expensive we're done. In the end it's just TV. No need to get pissed off and worked up. Not that anyone really is.

I get the fact people don't want to pay for ESPN if you don't watch it. What about the 50 some channel's I don't watch? I pay for those. We all subsidize each others channel's. It sucks but thats the way it is. I wish it was different but its not. We either have to deal with it or cancel our service.

Unfortunately ESPN cost as much as 50 other channels....

What I am hoping for with these negotiations is the Disney channels in HD, ESPNU in HD, ESPNews in HD, The Longhorn Network in the sportspak, the WatchESPN app (app on Hoppers too), and a deal with the new SEC Network that debuts next year. If that were the case along with already having Fox Sports 1, PAC12, BTN, and FSN, Dish could go out and call themselves the college sports leader, bigtime.

Im like everyone on this thread. I would love to see ESPN-U HD come to exist.:D:D Its really hard to watch a football game in SD. I use to subscribe to ESPN gameplan but since none of the games are in HD I quit ordering it. For one some of those games can be picked up on a lot of the sports channels in the Multi-SPORT Pack. Im wondering also if these deal goes through if DISNEY JR SD and HD will be throwed into the mix. My son loves the Disney channel and Disney Jr would be a great addition.:D
+1

If the channels could only demand carriage rates based on their actual viewership ratings, then ESPN would drop from the $5+ mark down to below $2. ESPN from week to week isn't even the top rated channel but it demands more than triple the amount of any other channel, and it requires almost everyone who has pay TV to pay for it.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/12/201...istory-tbs-lifetime-up-mtv-nick-at-nite-fall/

This is from the retailer chat this week.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Attachments

• image-3332985904.png
    image-3332985904.png
    108.3 KB · Views: 515
If the channels could only demand carriage rates based on their actual viewership ratings, then ESPN would drop from the $5+ mark down to below $2. ESPN from week to week isn't even the top rated channel but it demands more than triple the amount of any other channel, and it requires almost everyone who has pay TV to pay for it.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/12/201...istory-tbs-lifetime-up-mtv-nick-at-nite-fall/

Not meaning to defend their price, but your link only helps their case. Third or Second most watched cable channel. (Depending on demographics) And the only one with their type of programming on the list at all.

Not meaning to defend their price, but your link only helps their case. Third or Second most watched cable channel. (Depending on demographics) And the only one with their type of programming on the list at all.
Since they are the only one with their type of programming on the list, that would mean that their numbers aren't being diluted by competing popular channels on the list, thus their ratings should be much higher than the ones around them, but they aren't.

This is from the retailer chat this week.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Looks like a bet for a new contract is pretty secure. Scott's gut must have had something awfully good to eat when he made this prediction.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Since they are the only one with their type of programming on the list, that would mean that their numbers aren't being diluted by competing popular channels on the list, thus their ratings should be much higher than the ones around them, but they aren't.

I would say you have that wrong. First it ignores ESPN is showing as the second or third most watched Cable channel, that's a channel you can't afford to lose. Second, the fact there is no other channel like it (perhaps FS1 will be) is even more of a fact in their favor. Lose it and where do those viewers turn to? With AMC except for maybe three or so programs, there are other alternatives as DISH pointed out. Can't say that with ESPN. Again, not defending their cost, but it is more of a mainstream channel than is sometimes being given credit.

Scott
Only problem with your picture is that it's already the 25th of Aug and no mention of the promo yet. Doesn't leave much time for the discount price.

All I was saying is that if they announced the agreement tomorrow there would only be 5 days to sign up at the reduced price, if the dates were kept as is.