DISH Reaches Long Term Agreement with DISNEY / ESPN / ABC

I don't see Dish backing down on Autohop. And for those of you that don't like it or don't use it, I don't understand unless you just don't watch network TV. The autohop is awesome and I hate that it isn't on every program!
I would use it if Dish would turn on the switch to allow PTAT to record our locals in HD. In some DMAs that had PTAT in SD , Dish never switched them to PTAT HD when they turned on HD locals. So right now I am for forgetting about autohop and getting a deal with Disney. I can do my own hopping and recording the local programs I want in HD. PTAT is not very useful for my DMA.

You're talking just programming though which can be done. Do they do it with equipment too? Actually Dish has about the best selection of receivers already that can fit just about everyone's needs.

Man you are right about that. The Hopper works well for me and my wife. If you don't want that you can get the 2 room solution. That's pretty nice.

It looks like all ESPN / DISNEY and ABC O&O locals are up for renewal.

To me that is preferred if I am DISH. Do you really want to go through this piece meal throughout a year? Get it over now, even if they are off for a short while. (Which I just don't think will happen)

Not good. I'm not going to be happy if I don't get to watch ESPN Gameday while tailgating on Saturday morning. Come on guys. Make a deal!

I doubt he is using it to get the price down. Most likely Disney simply inserted language in the contract barring any ad skipping technology and Dish may be trying to negotiate some sort of skipping allowed.

The media companies view what Dish is doing as a violation of their existing contracts. They obviously (or they would have barred it) thought they had it covered with language that probably required complete delivery of the programming without cuts. Since the hopper does not alter the programming in any way with their skipping, it gets around the language of the current contracts as shown by the courts not issuing injunctions before trial. A trial will eventually determine if Dish did violate the copyright in some way or another, but for now it looks like ad skipping via the method being used by Dish is not violating the current contract.

I bet every channel's lawyers have been working overtime to put in language to prevent any automatic or provider assisted ad skipping in their contracts. I predict this was a one time loophole used by Dish that will be closed in all contract renewals.

But, this does not preclude a deal where someone pays extra for a channel to compensate for ad skipping if the provider feels they could attract more customers by offering this premium service. Perhaps Dish will use some of the monthly Hopper fee to buy this premium service for their customers.

It has been stated in numerous different news websites that Charlie IS using the auto hop feature to force the other channels to keep prices low in contract negotiations. In fact I read it again on the site that keeps up with the stock prices . I get updates on anything DISH from them with comments just about daily. So this is and has been used to force the prices down in negotiations with the locals and I am betting that they may be using it on other channels either as a threat to turn it on or to keep their demands lower and they won't turn it on in return. Auto skip is definitely being used as a bargaining chip in regards to keeping prices down. That is why there are so many lawsuits from the networks to bar this feature. It is cutting into their greedy extortion price hikes as well as their ad revenues from commercials skipped.

Does Dish publish what their installed base is with the Hopper? I wonder what percentage of dish users have access to Autohop, and what percentage of Hopper owners use the feature?

It has been stated in numerous different news websites that Charlie IS using the auto hop feature to force the other channels to keep prices low in contract negotiations. In fact I read it again on the site that keeps up with the stock prices . I get updates on anything DISH from them with comments just about daily. So this is and has been used to force the prices down in negotiations with the locals and I am betting that they may be using it on other channels either as a threat to turn it on or to keep their demands lower and they won't turn it on in return. Auto skip is definitely being used as a bargaining chip in regards to keeping prices down. That is why there are so many lawsuits from the networks to bar this feature. It is cutting into their greedy extortion price hikes as well as their ad revenues from commercials skipped.

?Great perspective. Even with 137 pages something informative.

Yahoo said that Dish lost 78k subs second quarter, compared to 10k for the same quarter last year. Keeping ESPN on after the deadline 1s seen as not causing an avalanche of exiting customers. (ya think?)

Couple of observations on that. We have seen bad quarters followed pretty good ones, who knows why. The next quarter could show an increase. I also would need to know was it just DISH or the industry that lost like that during the quarter. Losing 68,000 more isn't good whatever the circumstance, but sometimes a perspective can at least explain it better. And unless it is industry wide, I admit to being surprised, I thought they would have a decent quarter.

Same here. But DirecTV had losses, too.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

When tailgating, absolutely. What else would you watch when you are pounding beers and grilling breakfast sausage? :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)