DISH Reaches Long Term Agreement with DISNEY / ESPN / ABC

When is the last time dish lowered their rates after one of these supposed hard ball negotions... rates only go up so what ever lower rate they might get, theyll still raise rates and pocket the difference. So the consumer gets the shaft anyway.

"lower rate" means lower than what the conglomerate was asking for initially, but it's still higher than the previously negotiated rate, because the content owners share in the greed game. In fact, a 9% average profit margin for Dish means that 90% of the rate increases we see are due to the content owners. :rolleyes:

but yeah, I agree...it is stupid to pay the mouse whatever they want.

Last edited:
When is the last time dish lowered their rates after one of these supposed hard ball negotions... rates only go up so what ever lower rate they might get, theyll still raise rates and pocket the difference. So the consumer gets the shaft anyway.

It's not a matter of lowing rates- it's a matter of not raising them so fast.

Dish is just going to pay for it anyways they might as well not waste eveyones time just so they can lie and say they were "fighting for a lower rate" only to raise the rates in Feb anyway. The whole thing is a scam by dish to pull the wool over the consumers' eyes. As if they actually care about controlling costs

Oh, they care! Subs are decreasing. Too expensive already! They know they need to cut costs or slow increases. At some point, I expect sports and Disney to go away. You'll still get them- via pay internet!

"lower rate" means lower than what the conglomerate was asking for initially, but it's still higher than the previously negotiated rate, because the content owners share in the greed game. In fact, a 9% average profit margin for Dish means that 90% of the rate increases we see are due to the content owners. :rolleyes:
The point remains that the so called hardball negotiating that dish claims to engage in does nothing but delay the inevitable rate increase that was going to happen anyways just so dish can save face and lie about supposedly fighting for the consumer. And the increase probably won't be any less than espn wanted in the first place.

No. I disagree. The "provider" does not hold all the cards. They need the eyeballs Dish provides, for ad revenue. Dish negotiations do reduce the increase.

Yet, I think we're heading for a climax. Something will break, or sat, and then cable, will collapse. And so will the providers. They are over milking the golden goose.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

No. I disagree. The "provider" does not hold all the cards. They need the eyeballs Dish provides, for ad revenue. Dish negotiations do reduce the increase.

Yet, I think we're heading for a climax. Something will break, or sat, and then cable, will collapse. And so will the providers. They are over milking the golden goose.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

And what good are those eyeballs if there is nothing to watch. The tv industry is driven by the providers. Dish wont have any eyeballs without content. Pay the mouse

The mouse can Suck it as far as I 'm concerned. I would dearly love to see DISH stand up to the mouse and Espn and say ala cart for you or you're out of here. Yes I know my bill would stay the same as it is today ,except with Espn and DISney gone, but it would be the principal of the thing. Be the first in the industry to tell ESPN to forget about any more extortion attempts for DISH subs.

I've said it again and again, I stopped caring about much of ESPN when they dropped the NHL. I am complaint free. Thanks Comcast/NBC (until your contract with Dish runs out). With that said, I live in a house with 3 girls, two of whom are children. If Phineas and Ferb/Mickey Mouse Club House/etc. go dark, then there's going to be a whole bunch of cackling going on within my walls. If my daughters aren't happy, my wife isn't happy. Man how I really don't need a head ache over the freaking Disney Channel.

Pay the mouse

No. F**k the mouse. Disney is #4 on my list of worst companies ever. Only exceeded by Walmart, News Corporation and the #1 worst company in the history of the world AT&T.

Now we are going to have to endure more weeks of whining, crying and rampant speculation about nothing. Great.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was away from the tv last night, so I know others have already noticed this, but intresting that the channel logos are not there. Guessing that was in case they were pulled?

I was away from the tv last night, so I know others have already noticed this, but intresting that the channel logos are not there. Guessing that was in case they were pulled?

Yep the channels are still there but all the ESPN/Disney channels are missing their logos on the hopper guide now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

one of them will get pissed off and shut down signal before football games start saturday. if not this saturday then next saturday. cry babies will post here about going to directtv and then cry about having to pay for it. soon after, price of espn/disney will raise prices, after which directtv realizes they have millions more customers under 2 year contracts, price of directtv increases 400% overnight. loss of money for dish forces espn/disney into bankruptcy because they cant pay for huge contracts for ncaa, nfl, nascar etc. congress ask why these people cant sort out their differences goes on vacation.

Yep the channels are still there but all the ESPN/Disney channels are missing their logos on the hopper guide now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Giving way for the NEW logos that will include the letters HD ;)

I hope that in the next few days that Scott will be able to give us some insight into whether we are days, weeks or months away from the contract details to be worked out. ;)

And what good are those eyeballs if there is nothing to watch. The tv industry is driven by the providers. Dish wont have any eyeballs without content. Pay the mouse
The mouse well overpaid for college football rights and rights to MNF. They did so knowing that they have a near quasi-must carry status. So they were spending money we haven't even paid yet in higher rates to get ESPN. And most importantly, regardless if someone watches ESPN or not, they have to pay. Besides, we don't even know if rates are an issue anymore, and it may be more about online rights to content.

The fact that both sides agreed to a short contract extension means that progress is being made on the contract. Obviously, both sides need this agreement and (unlike Congress) are actually negotiating not just shouting at each other. Hopefully, a good agreement will be reached (wait for it) soon and the missing HD channels will return.

oh yeah, it's practically a done deal.... all the hd channels will be turned on.... blah, blah, blah. well it's october and no deal, no hd? this is just the beginning? btw...I TOLD YOU SO

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)