Dish: Ready to shut down DVRs if it loses lawsuit

Isn't there something in the patent office looking at the TIVO patent about not being legal?

If it goes as far as shuting off ALL dvr's, Dish will do so and then turn our HD dvr's into 211 or 222 and add a ehd and there you have your dvr back.:)

I do wonder if the 211 would actually count as a dvr.

If it goes as far as shuting off ALL dvr's, Dish will do so and then turn our HD dvr's into 211 or 222 and add a ehd and there you have your dvr back.:)

I do wonder if the 211 would actually count as a dvr.

Oh, I'm sure if "Thomas" got his way, him and his buddies would try to sue JVC for inventing the VCR. Claiming that they were infringing on future tivo patents. :rolleyes:

So Thomas, shall we make a bet? I say no DISH Network DVR's will be shut off by the end of the year because of this lawsuit.

What say you? ;)

I see a lot of information taken out of context to scare people. Honestly where are people going to go? DIRECTV? Thats a huge step down from where I sit (I like this DISH DVR's better than the DIRECTV units... and where the hell is that new DIRECTV DVR with TIVO anyways...

Looking in my crystal ball, I do see TiVO getting some much needed money but that ball also says no DVR's will get shut off.

There is no inside information here, just a gut feeling.

I have also said FOR A LONG TIME that DISH and TiVO should work together... imagine if they did what a killer box they could make...

From what I am being told NO it does not, none of the ViP receivers are part of this lawsuit. However some TiVO fans and lazy reporters will tell you yes because they want you to be scared.

I will say one thing...

If my ViP DVR's were shut off over this I would be the first one calling DIRECTV to hook me up again.

These lawsuits suck when we consumers are stuck in the middle.

Hey now, don't be sending back those disabled boxes, you know you are going to be charged $15 a box for shipping!

So Thomas, shall we make a bet? I say no DISH Network DVR's will be shut off by the end of the year because of this lawsuit.

What say you? ;)

I see a lot of information taken out of context to scare people. Honestly where are people going to go? DIRECTV? Thats a huge step down from where I sit (I like this DISH DVR's better than the DIRECTV units... and where the hell is that new DIRECTV DVR with TIVO anyways...

Looking in my crystal ball, I do see TiVO getting some much needed money but that ball also says no DVR's will get shut off.

I have also said FOR A LONG TIME that DISH and TiVO should work together... imagine if they did what a killer box they could make...

I agree with everything except 'what a killer box they could make...'

I hate Tivo software and I think their units are slow. I like my Dish DVR just the way it is.

What say you? ;)

Scott- you asked what is meant by colorably different. Having grown up in Texas in the 50's and early 60's it's an old racist mindset that today, Folsom is applying to this case. In effect, I think he is an old Texas racist.

As far as this thread is concerned- I read through all of it and there is nothing new here. Obvious that we have TIVO heads who will read into anything they can to make themselves feel good about the TIVO rulings to date but it ain't over until Charlie closes the doors to Dish Network. BUT, Charlie's got 11.7 Billion cash to buy out Tivo's 1.9Billion price before that happens. You are right that he can call the bet and raise and TIVO will fold.
There are two choices here in this- Charlie could pay the court damages and then sign a deal to pay Tivo a negotiated royalty which would be passed along to DVR subscribers, ( Note that is what DirecTV did when I was with them and had a TIVO DVR) This would cost Dish stock holders nothing. If Dish bought Tivo outright, the cash in the company would reduce the company's value and Dish would gain control over TIVO's patents ( as a stock holder I favor this move) Then raise the sh*t out of TIVO licenses when they come due.

The one thing you said that is completely accurate, Charlie is just posturing at this point. I'd call it diversion, play weak and defeated when you have a kill plan ready to pop. Bottom line, Charlie controls the pot on the table.

The VIP shutdown threat is only coming from tivo fanboys or those who can't read, and is just being proliferated as a fear tactic. You might as well give up people, because they won't shut down the VIP DVR until the judge specifically lists the models under the shutdown order. When that happens you can then cheer for a moment you were right, but as I said earlier, it will then be Charlie's next move and he will solve this court problem the American capitalist way, with money! Charlie has it, Tivo doesn't. Not only that but Charlie knows how to make a profit. Tivo never learned that. TIVO is ultimately doomed.

Just a thought- I still have my PVR-921, on the list to be shut off.
Should be interesting to have it playing my prerecorded content after the shutdown notice. Just not going to connect it to the satellite coax. :) I ran my HR-250 Tivo for 2 years after I quit paying D* for it. It ran fine. Used it for OTA tuner and playback of prerecorded content.

Why doesn't this effect Directv? Don't they have a dvr?

As a condition for DirecTV working with TiVo for a new DirecTiVo box, TiVo agreed NOT to sue DirecTV for patent infringements relating DirecTV's own DVR product, as TiVo has Dish, Echostar, AT&T, and Verizon. DirecTV does NOT pay any license fee to TiVo relating to DirecTV's own DVR product. Ultimately, all TiVo wants from everybody is either a deal to develop a co-branded TiVo product, or that they pay a license fee for what TiVo believes is the other party's use of TiVo patents, which means they contend that every DVR in the U.S. violates their patents, or ye shall be sued.

The funny thing is, DirecTV has really (intentionally?) dragged its feet on implementing the new DirecTiVo box. In fact, odd statements were made during DirecTV's own Quaterly just about a week ago when asked about the forthcoming DirecTV box, along the lines of ". . .well, we have already developed a lot of what the TiVo has in our own [next generation] DVR product. There really won't be much difference between the two--of course the TiVo interface . . ." Keep in mind the DirecTiVo box has been pushed backed for release more than once, and is now SUPPOSED to be launched by the end of this year (or early next year).

IMHO, DirecTV has never wanted this box, and still favors it own DVR products as they make more money with them. DirecTV is just sitting pretty taking its own sweet time with the DirecTiVo box because TiVo agreed NOT to sue DirecTV.

Furthermore, Tom Rogers (TiVo CEO) has plainly said that he will seek patent lawsuits against any pay-TV provider who offers DVR's who will not agree to a license agreement with TiVo. He confirmed that AT&T and Verizon weren't even remotely interested in partnering with TiVo (they wouldn't even talk), so he sued. When asked why he hasn't sued the manufacturers, specifically Motorola and Scientific Atlantic, as they are the ones who actually build and provide software for their DVR product, talky Tom clammed-up, then stammered a bit trying to answer the question, which he never did, then ignored the question all together and rambled on about something else.

Believe me, EVERYONE in pay-TV industry is waiting to see how the Dish/TiVo patents suit ends. TiVo sees victory and will use its win against Dish as leverage against all DVR providers, or they may see the same fate as Dish.

Last edited:
Yes, but they wisely bought ReplayTV when it was up for sale. So they have their patents now, and can tell tivo to go suck a brick.

They bought Replay TV because their own DirecTV product was so bad, they needed other technology. They do not tell TiVO to "suck a brick", as DirecTV is developing the new DirecTiVo box, but in exchange for this, TiVo agreed not to sue DirecTV for patent infringement as it has others.

However, it is clear that DirecTV has dragged its feet on the new DirecTiVo having now pushed back the release date to the end of this year (maybe even into next year) and have not been at all thrilled with it forthcoming release, even diminishing it in statements that build their own forthcoming DirecTV DVR as having pretty much the same added value with respect to TiVo's robust on-line options.

So, while not telling TiVo to "suck a brick," it would be fair to say that DirecTV seems to be "messing" with TiVo, as they can't sue DirecTV for patent infringement, and DirectTV keeps holding the often pushed back release date of the product as a carrot in front of TiVo.

Scott is correct. Ergan's public statements about shutting off DVR's as an option for Dish, is just talk to get TiVO to agree to what Charlie thinks is a reasonable deal. He doesn't want TiVO to think that he is unwilling to shut off the DVR's as it would be a "gun to Dish's head" situation.

What that deal is or will be is guessing game: just a licensing fee agreement; an agreement for a co-branded Dish/TiVo DVR; Dish becoming a major investor, but minority partner, in TiVo, a seat at the board; a merge? Oh, and a TiVo bug on the EPG next to the TV Guide bug? That one sounds like a certainty.

It is clear that the sticking point is how much money TiVo is asking and how much Dish is willing in regards to a settlement and deal for working together, otherwise this would have been settled weeks, possibly, months ago, but Ergan wanted to see what would happen with the suit: his chances of prevailing.

There will be a deal. It is just a matter of time and all legal avenues having been exhausted.

They bought Replay TV because their own DirecTV product was so bad, they needed other technology. They do not tell TiVO to "suck a brick", as DirecTV is developing the new DirecTiVo box, but in exchange for this, TiVo agreed not to sue DirecTV for patent infringement as it has others.

However, it is clear that DirecTV has dragged its feet on the new DirecTiVo having now pushed back the release date to the end of this year (maybe even into next year) and have not been at all thrilled with it forthcoming release, even diminishing it in statements that build their own forthcoming DirecTV DVR as having pretty much the same added value with respect to TiVo's robust on-line options.

So, while not telling TiVo to "suck a brick," it would be fair to say that DirecTV seems to be "messing" with TiVo, as they can't sue DirecTV for patent infringement, and DirectTV keeps holding the often pushed back release date of the product as a carrot in front of TiVo.

Now that they own Replay, tivo couldnt sue them anyway.

Well some estimate the shutdown wuld cost E 3 BILLION

wonder what it would cost for E to buy TIVO?

and D may have been dragging its feet on new TIVO box not wanting to roll out anything new thats ultimately owned by E:(

plus if the tivo patent is upheld and E buys TIVO E could force cable and verizon to use TIVO brand DVRs

If a shutdown were required would E have to disable the DTV PAL DVRS? some citys appear to download the pals software OTA, while others just by internet.....

Historically E boxes DVRs work indefinetely playing already recorded content. With lots of software upgrades lately that may have changed?? might be a good idea to burn discs of must have shows.

And it's a nice day here

Well some estimate the shutdown wuld cost E 3 BILLION

wonder what it would cost for E to buy TIVO?

and D may have been dragging its feet on new TIVO box not wanting to roll out anything new thats ultimately owned by E:(

plus if the tivo patent is upheld and E buys TIVO E could force cable and verizon to use TIVO brand DVRs

If a shutdown were required would E have to disable the DTV PAL DVRS? some citys appear to download the pals software OTA, while others just by internet.....

Historically E boxes DVRs work indefinetely playing already recorded content. With lots of software upgrades lately that may have changed?? might be a good idea to burn discs of must have shows.

I see Bob that your doom & gloom is still here. But it's a nice day here and I wish you would have one there sometime. Hurry up and get that download set up going so then you can B about what's wrong with it. :D

Obviously Dish has a plan and it probably has many contingencies depending on what happens. The best case scenario right now would be that the full appeals court takes the case and rules that Dish indeed coded around the TiVo patents and all existing Dish DVRs are now non infringing devices. The worst case as mentioned above is that all existing Dish DVRs are found to infringe and they will all have to be shut off if Dish does not work a deal with TiVo.

Dish would love the full appeals court scenario obviously since they get out of jail free and do not have to pay TiVo any more than what is already owed (to the date they replaced the software with non infringing software).

Major setback would be that all the named DVRs still infringe but the ViPs are not covered or need a trial (i.e. many year delay). Dish would have to decide which is cheaper: license the TiVo patents for the affected DVRs, or replace all the DVRs with ViP ones. I would speculate they would go with the ViP option since they could then hasten the switch to MPEG-4.

If the nuclear bomb drops (all Dish DVRs), Dish will have to fork over a lot of cash. Either to buy TiVo (note they do not have to buy 100% of the company, perhaps just a large interest), or pay the cash to license the patents.

In any of the above situations, Dish will keep the DVRs on. They have no choice. They cannot compete without DVR service. They will pay what it takes. The problem is of course that they cannot do anything until there are decisions made by the courts. They are not going to fork over cash voluntarily.

Dish, AT&T and Verizon should just form a group and buy TIVO, liquidate the company and make the patents public domain.

NightRyder

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)