Dish receiver 311k (322 basically) frequency?

. Signal is crappy on most transponders still yet (50-60 with a few at around 70).
that is actually good. Disregard the thought that 125 (which shows on the meter IIRC) is the max. Dish neutered the meter...oof....5 years ago so 50-60 on CONUS transponders is about right and 70's for spotbeams is right

Our complete system details:
-311k (basically a 322 from what I've read?)
yup. But you only need one input and there is only one output (Dish disabled the 2nd tuner in it)

-Dish 500 dish (doesn't say DishPro on it- just says Dish I'm thinking; it's dark outside now so can't look) :) with a dual LNB (one oval? eye w/ two cables going in for 2 receivers)
probably a Legacy Twin which that will work fine

Aha. I had forgotten that. One wonders why Dish wastes a former 322 on the modest needs of a 311 owner. :confused: Did they run out of 311's?
There is a very real possibility of them being low on inventory of 311's. Especially after the 8psk conversion.

The signal from the satellite comes down at 12.2-12.7Ghz, the LNBF then downconverts that high frequency to a lower frequency (950-1450 and 1650-2150) to travel over RG6 coxial cable. Don't worry about DishPro and all of that, your receiver will only work with a DP LNBF, and if it's working, that is what you have, in fact I would say legacy LNBFs are rather hard to find. All of the frequency you need to worry about are those lower ones specified. I think you are waaay overthinking things.

None of my business, but why are you sticking with the 311K? You can upgrade to at least a 211 for free, or very cheap if you want to get it on your own.

I wouldn't use "multiple" splices even with 3ghz barrel connectors, especially if you are burying it or it is going to be in the weather. Those splices will attenuate the signal.
Well maybe I am overthinking things? BUT, the fact remains that either:
1. Dish converting the system has bugs and suddenly our old partial "legacy" system has bugs
or
2. I had a combination of problems...
You see, what started all of this was this (it *was* working perfectly):
I'm installing a handrail for my mother to use outside when the ramp is slick (especially in the winter) and was second-guessing myself about using enough concrete/sand/gravel mix for the posts, so 'genius-me' goes to the dish (on a pole set in concrete out at the edge of the property years back) and I'm thinking, "that's strange, this has worked fine for years and I did it about the same way" whilst wiggling and pushing on the post testing the sturdiness of my previous build years back. Around that time we suddenly started having SERIOUS signal problems- pixelating and video/audio dropouts. So I'm thinking either the Dish qpsk/8psk change has made things screwy or maybe I pushed a little too hard? :)
So I go out to the dish, start attempting to fine-tune it back in and don't get too far;still dropouts galore and I notice (AFTER my alignment attempt) a tree limb with vines on it possibly blocking the signal so I remove that.
I start researching (I remember seeing some build-up on the dish that I didn't remember seeing before- the best way to describe it is, you know what paint looks like after many years and how it starts flaking and chipping). I saw that on the dish but it didn't look like paint so I figure it's a result of tree sap over the years (it's located under trees-trees EVERYWHERE on our property) and bird crap both combined? So I read a guy used bleach to clean his so I try spraying bleach on it, let it soak, then used a plastic brush that comes with a bottle of Gojo Orange on it- comes off like magic! Yea! Signal quality went up 2 points and is more stable! One of both helped it!
But, now since we are still experiencing a *little* anomaly here and there still yet and I'm wondering if possibly the underground splice kits (w/ 950MHz barrel couplers?) I used are adding to the signal loss problem AND maybe it still needs to be fine-tuned (since I tried aligning with obstacles possibly blocking the path?) I came here and asked about all of this from you fine folks!
I'm thinking at this point since the signal loss? (anomaly) is pretty much only noticed on channel 41 (local channel from Louisville as I've been learned here recently) :) I figure I need to readjust the dish again (maybe use transponder 4 on sat 110 as a guide?) AND replace the entire cable.?
I've only had one experience in this and that was when I moved the dish off the side of the house and onto the custom pole I set for it years back. I can't quite figure out exactly how to align the dish to its maximum signal just yet (I used transponders 19 the previous time and got lucky?). From what I read I need to set the skew first and don't touch it again as it changes other settings when modified (which I didn't leave it earlier and tinkered with it after), then side-to-side for max signal gain, then finally up and down (can't remember the technical terms used). Is this the best procedure to receive channels on 119 and 110 using a Dish 500?
I had a spare receiver to use for alignment purposes at the dish but now it's not usable for 110 (I've already tried-my analog alignment meter shows a signal but the receiver was dead quiet showing no signal meaning they've killed the (QPSK I think I read?) signal for my outdated receiver and now must take the good 311k receiver out there temporarily, which this method sucks by the way as it's difficult to remove and reinstall in the current location in the entertainment system...)

Oh, and we're sticking to this setup for 2 reasons:
1. Money is tight here with a type-1 diabetic dog + a dog that has congestive heart failure + a dog that has incontinence problems along with back hips no longer wanting to work too well. All is managed ok with meds and special dog food but it's taxing on my paycheck (and then I still have to pay my bills/buy groceries!)
2. We have a family member who is kind enough to pay the Dish bill for us every month FREE! If we upgraded, the fee would cost more for her AND would lock into a new contract? To my understanding anyways...

Oh, and the underground splice kits details: were waterproof RG-6 plugs and a barrel coupler which I'm thinking was a 950MHz (but could be wrong?) that gets smashed into a big glob of dielectric grease I think? in a plastic snap case which then snaps together, supposedly waterproofing the assembly... I'm thinking it's safe from water (or our receiver would already be shorted out I'd think) but not for sure about the couplers- I have another spare somewhere to look at... LOL
Whew, that was a lot of typing!

that is actually good. Disregard the thought that 125 (which shows on the meter IIRC) is the max. Dish neutered the meter...oof....5 years ago so 50-60 on CONUS transponders is about right and 70's for spotbeams is right

yup. But you only need one input and there is only one output (Dish disabled the 2nd tuner in it)

probably a Legacy Twin which that will work fine
I had read you want at least a 70-80 or rain, etc. will cause problems in the future, which is why I had my sights set to the sky (pun intended).
If I remember correctly, this is what the LNB looks like:
http://electorica.com/images/ttttttttt.JPG

I had read you want at least a 70-80 or rain, etc. will cause problems in the future, which is why I had my sights set to the sky (pun intended).
If I remember correctly, this is what the LNB looks like:
http://electorica.com/images/ttttttttt.JPG
Anything over 30 will give you a picture. Over 50 and you are likely good on rain fade, depending on the storm. Obviously the higher, the thicker the storm has to be to interrupt, but most people will max about 60-75 on the best of circumstances.

Aha. I had forgotten that. One wonders why Dish wastes a former 322 on the modest needs of a 311 owner. :confused: Did they run out of 311's?

There is a very real possibility of them being low on inventory of 311's. Especially after the 8psk conversion.

I know they were sending out 311k's (ex 322's) during the conversion. My grandma got two of them to replace her 301's

Anything over 30 will give you a picture. Over 50 and you are likely good on rain fade, depending on the storm. Obviously the higher, the thicker the storm has to be to interrupt, but most people will max about 60-75 on the best of circumstances.
just checked on a 322 that is at my dads

most TP's are around 59-63 (110 & 119)
spotbeam is up to 74

Oh, and the underground splice kits details: were waterproof RG-6 plugs and a barrel coupler which I'm thinking was a 950MHz (but could be wrong?) that gets smashed into a big glob of dielectric grease I think? in a plastic snap case which then snaps together, supposedly waterproofing the assembly... I'm thinking it's safe from water (or our receiver would already be shorted out I'd think) but not for sure about the couplers- I have another spare somewhere to look at... LOL
Whew, that was a lot of typing!

It is not necessarily just getting water in the splice, but the fact is if you have many splices, you attenuate (bring down) the signal. Each one of those barrel connectors will cause the signal strength to be reduced by some factor of a dB for every one you put in. If you are replacing the whole thing (I don't know if you are or not) it doesn't make any sense to splice. If you have to splice because something is buried, or in a wall, etc.. then it is a "have to" otherwise, if you are replacing the whole run, you are setting your self up for trouble in future.

Reactions: KAB

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)