dish receiver4900 hookup combo vhs/dvd

dishtrouble52

Original poster
Sep 13, 2007
I am having problems hooking up my dish receiver 4900 series to my jvc vhs/dvd combo recorder. It seems I can get vhs or dvd to play and record but not with out unhooking one and hooking up the other.

I really could use a diagram. the jvc book is confusing to say the least.

Thanks for any help you can give me on this.

my tv is a Toshiba lcd

Dishtrouble52:confused:

receiver4900 hookup combo vhs/dvd

I have the tv hooked up to the satellite (4900 dish) receiver. I need help hooking up combination vhs/dvd recorder player to the tv and to the 4900 dish receiver. I don't seem to have enough s video connectors on the receiver.

I was using composite cables for the dvd side, but when I do this the vhs side stops working.

Last edited:
Normally you would put your VCR in between your antenna or satellite receiver or cable STB and your TV. You should be able to record either from the RF TV tuner or via composite video. The RF input on normal VCRs goes into what is now called "analog pass-through" when the VCR is off. I have no idea what your combo unit would do. Probably it will have to be on all the time if you are using the better-quality composite jacks.

Are you recording to DVD or tape? Are you recording from the 4900 only, or also from your antenna? Or from your DVD to tape, or tape to DVD? It seems to me that what you are trying to do, and what the JVC is capable of doing, might be two different things. What is the model of your JVC?

Overtaken by Events?

I believe that the 4900 is one of the models subject to the current mandatory change out program for newer (smart card) technology. Whatever solution developed could be short lived.

reeiver4900 hookup combo vhs/dvd

I am recording DVD, but would also like to be able to view tapes without having to reconnect.

when I am just using the DVD player, I do leave it on when just watching tv. the it on the componet (blue red green) cables really do make a big difference in the picture.

model number of combo recorder jvc DR-MV5.

It would be great if I had to change this 4900 out, I miss my dvr...but am trying to cut back on my bill.

thank you all for your patience input

dish receiver 4900 hookup combo vhs/dvd

thanks for all of your help, finally figured it out. when i want to play vhs, I unhook red, green blue cables. when I want to play dvd, I plug them back in.:D

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts