Dish receivers not compatible with OTA station - how to resolve? (WHUT-DT Wash DC)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

noremac

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 28, 2004
Wash, DC
Problem: Both of my Dish receivers (a 622 and a 722) have compatibility problems with the local OTA transmission from WHUT-DT (RF 33 in Washington DC DMA). These problems are well documented in various threads on this and other forums and are perfectly repeatable and consistent. The problems consist of regular picture and audio breakup, and inoperability of DVR functions.

Issue: Either WHUT-DT is broadcasting a non-standard ATSC format, or the Dish OTA receivers have an inherent problem with the signal from WHUT. Note that Dish currently only offers an SD feed of WHUT in its satellite-delivered local channel package.

Question: How can I get the attention of Dish engineers to investigate this matter, and perhaps contact the WHUT station engineers and discuss a resolution? If and when Dish decides to add WHUT (HD) to their local package, they will presumably encounter the same problem. Obviously, contacting Dish's tier-1 help did not help!

I guess my question for you is, why would you be contacting Dish for this. Unless there is more to the story. Their receivers can get virtually every OTA station, but that one. Shouldn't your question be directed to the Station? Contact the station engineer. Does the channel show correctly if gong directly to your TV?

I have first hand experience with a Station not broadcasting correctly, mine though was OTA to my TV. My local Fox has no problem when national shows were on, but as soon as they went to local programming or commercials my screen went black, still with a good signal. After contacting the station engineer and telling them when it started, they said indeed, they installed a new decoder right around that time and will look into it. About three days later problem fixed.

Their engineer should be able to tell you if their station is doing something different than others. They may be operating with very minimal funds.

The station is NOT a low power analog station. WHUT-DT is broadcasting with a very strong ATSC digital signal (signal meter = 100).

WIth regard to other tuner devices, I can receive WHUT-DT perfectly well on three other TV sets. The major problems only occur with DishNetwork's receivers (622 and 722 in my case). Yes, it's possible that the problem may still be on the station's end. But Dish also has an interest in making sure their customers' devices work well with OTA broadcasts. It's quite possible that a simple phone call between two technical engineers, one from Dish and one from WHUT, could quickly resolve the problem.

The station is NOT a low power analog station. WHUT-DT is broadcasting with a very strong ATSC digital signal (signal meter = 100).

WIth regard to other tuner devices, I can receive WHUT-DT perfectly well on three other TV sets. The major problems only occur with DishNetwork's receivers (622 and 722 in my case).
Agree that it's full powered (100kW ERP), which is more than the "main" PBS station around here: WETA. Another bizarre datum is that a our TVs and the Dish 612 pull it in just fine. It's only our 722/622's that can't hack the signal.

It is a LOW POWERED, University station.

NO, and yes. You guys are killing me! WHUT-DT is NOT a low power station. Where did you get that misinformation? They are broadcasting with 100kW! I have ultra strong signal strength (100%). Yes, they are a PBS, University affiliated station. So?

...it clearly states that it may not be received in some areas
Standard caveat for all OTA stations ;)

Last edited:
Are you using an OTA antenna to receive the station? Perhaps the signal is so strong that it is overdriving the ATSC tuner in the receivers. You could try adding an attenuator into the OTA path to cut some of that signal back.

DC Block DC pass Inline Attenuator Pads

Radio Shack used to have these but I don't see it on their website today. You could still look there.

Perhaps the signal is so strong that it is overdriving the ATSC tuner in the receivers. You could try adding an attenuator ...

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think that excess signal is the problem. I'm a reasonable 8-10 miles from the transmitter, and I get 100% signal from all my local OTA stations. The problems that the Dish 622/722 have seem to be unique to the broadcast encoding format. For example on the 622, watching WHUT-DT live works fine; and only when watching DVR recordings do I experience a problem. That wouldn't be related to excess signal. On the 722, even live viewing is corrupted ;)

Strange things can happen with RF. Just for grins, if you have an old splitter laying around, place it just in front of where your coax goes into the 722. Now, just for grins, try to watch the channel. If you still have the same corruption you haen't lost anything by trying. If the corruption goes away you've gained an answer to your issue.

It does sound like you are getting an input overload. If all stations are showing 100% then you can attenuate the signal a bit and prolly reduce break up. The SS for my local vary in strength not read 100% like yours is showing.

At this very moment I am in Springfield, using Windows Media Center to see 33. I can't. I live in the area, and long since stopped trying to watch them. Sometimes yes, sometimes no, on a variety of TVs, tuners and ViPs. They have always had problems. Can we count on them to broadcast at full authorized power? Perhaps they are saving on power bills sometimes.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think that excess signal is the problem. I'm a reasonable 8-10 miles from the transmitter, and I get 100% signal from all my local OTA stations. The problems that the Dish 622/722 have seem to be unique to the broadcast encoding format. For example on the 622, watching WHUT-DT live works fine; and only when watching DVR recordings do I experience a problem. That wouldn't be related to excess signal. On the 722, even live viewing is corrupted ;)

I live 12.4 miles north from the WHUT transmitting antenna. I receive both the OTA (032-01) and also the satellite re-broadcast (032-00)on both my 622 and also my 722k. I do not routinely view or record the OTA WHUT signal but I do routinely record and later view This Old House and a couple of other offerings on 032-00. I do not nor have I ever had a problem with their signal.

I do get all of the DC stations except WRC Channel 004-01. That signal is simply low and therefore is not reliable.

The Dish signal strength indicated for 032-01 is 84 on my 622 and 87 on my 722k. (One 'extra' splitter in the 622 leg from my chimney mounted directional antenna.

I just read Navychop's post and at the same time he was reporting difficulties receiving 032, I was getting it just fine - as usual.

:confused:

He's referring to the OTA channel, not the satellite-provided one. With your first two sentences, I thought it was "proof" that their OTA signal is in fact okay, but can't say that for sure... Can you try and record anything off of the OTA channel as a test ?

He's referring to the OTA channel, not the satellite-provided one. With your first two sentences, I thought it was "proof" that their OTA signal is in fact okay, but can't say that for sure... Can you try and record anything off of the OTA channel as a test ?

My bad. However, the OP says, "If and when Dish decides to add WHUT (HD) to their local package, they will presumably encounter the same problem."

I already receive 032-00 as part of my DC locals. :confused:

Going to record 032-01 right now... will be back in a few.

Last edited:
I have three receivers including a 622 and a 722 and all 3 pull it in just fine. I have no problems with recordings off the satellite or OTA channels.. I can also confirm that it is already part of the locals provided by satellite.

From what I have read here I too would recommend an attenuator. It is at least worth a try.

My bad. However, the OP says, "If and when Dish decides to add WHUT (HD) to their local package, they will presumably encounter the same problem."
Doesn't mean he's right... :D :D

And others are able to receive and record the OTA channel, so there's nothing wrong with the receivers in general. Something uniquely wrong with his ? Maybe... As others have noted, I'm leaning towards him having too strong of a signal and is overloading the receiver. He's getting a "100" on the signal strength. Thing is, it won't read higher so it could be too strong.

Guys, its not being too close/overpowering at all. I'm 45 miles south of DC, get all the DC OTA channels, and WHUT-DT just doesn't work via the 722 & 622. I have the same symptoms on this one channel. If I cared about watching anything on it, I'd call the station.

I just checked again. Nothing. Windows media center says "no TV signal detected." Could that error msg appear if the signal is overpowering?

I have problems with WHUT and sometimes other stations here at work. There is a splitter. At home I have problems, but there is a preamp and a power distro amp there. Same probs at home with WHUT.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)