DISH refund proces is it legal?

ohenhen

Original poster
Oct 11, 2014
Jacksonville
My friend works for DISH and was telling me how DISH does not proactively issue a refund. You have to ask. The employees are told not to issue a refund unless requested by the customer. They get in trouble for pro actively telling customers they are entitled to a refund. There are accounts that have a credit balance. I might actually just call in to see If one of my old account that I cancelled about 3 years ago still has a credit on it.

The reason they do not proactively tell customers, is because if another charge comes up, on the normal account basis, it helps prevent sending it to collections. To explain, say you cancel, and you return equipment, but you have a credit balance. You may still be charged for the box return fee, or any PPV left on the Smart Card. Until all equipment received, and read, and account closed, that available credit balance, still belongs to dish as collateral. After the process is done, the customer has the option of calling and having any funds returned to them, but not before the final process is completed.

Also, you have PIA customers, who use their account for RVing and save the credit balance to restore service at a later time.

The reason they do not proactively tell customers, is because if another charge comes up, on the normal account basis, it helps prevent sending it to collections. To explain, say you cancel, and you return equipment, but you have a credit balance. You may still be charged for the box return fee, or any PPV left on the Smart Card. Until all equipment received, and read, and account closed, that available credit balance, still belongs to dish as collateral. After the process is done, the customer has the option of calling and having any funds returned to them, but not before the final process is completed.

I was a loyalty agent a good while back, and at the time, I suggested that people may wind up with a credit, but recommended that they wait until ALL the equipment was back, then check with us and see what the final balance (or credit) was. I did have people who would ask for a refund on the spot when they cancelled, I would honor that, but warn them about the $17 box return fee and any possible charges for things like unreported PPV when the receiver is checked back in. Some people would ask for all of the refund save $20-$25 to cover that, and then settle up for a few dollars a few months later.

Typical dish theft, doesn't surprise me one bit.

I agree with the credit balance if there are additional charges, but they need to set a policy that if a refund is due then a check should automatically go out after 90 days or if all the equipment is returned.

I cancelled a Internet account with comcast back in July. Just got a check a few weeks ago for $14

It would make a nice class action lawsuit :)

My local cable co. Does this as well. They wouldn't be able to do it if is wasn't.

I can tell you TimeWarnerCable does this. A local TV station did an investigation and found hundreds of people in the area with credits sitting on their cancelled accounts past 6 months. You have to call to request the refund.

dish is peeing in their own well. turning the customer who might return to the customer who tells everyone how they hate dish, for return leased box fees etc.

dish is peeing in their own well. turning the customer who might return to the customer who tells everyone how they hate dish, for return leased box fees etc.

Yeah that sucks.

DISH is just another greedy major corporation.

I am going to cancel Comcast, go with over the air signal and sign up for the new HBOgo service that is been launched next year.

Everything is legal till they pass a law saying its illegal..

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

A company willingly giving money back if they don't have to? Haha.

I wonder how long you can wait and still get a refund? As long as the company exists? So when you sign back up for service you get the credit on the account off your first bill even if you are eligible to get new customer promotions? Or do they setup a different account number and not issue the refund?

I wonder how long you can wait and still get a refund? As long as the company exists? So when you sign back up for service you get the credit on the account off your first bill even if you are eligible to get new customer promotions? Or do they setup a different account number and not issue the refund?
Every state has a "lost/unclaimed money" office and laws, that usually operate under the prevalence of the state treasury.

So a company not issuing refunds is no different than stealing and would end up in litigation with some state attorney generals office.

They setup a different account, and heaven forbid they link the 2 accounts together then they come back and tell you that your an existing customer and don't qualify for any promotions.

Any unclaimed credit balance owed anyone by any company after 3 years escheats to the state. Either the one you live in or the one where the companies HQ is. Generally run by the state Treasurer or Secretary of State's office. They publish your name in some obscure newspaper or website and if you don't show up in so many days (180 is typical) the state keeps the money.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)