Dish refuses to install 2nd dish without HOA approval

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Nicu

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
I live in a condo and had a 2nd dish free installation - for locals - scheduled for this morning. The Dish Network installer showed up but refused to install the dish without a written approval from my Home Owners Association and left. WTF? Anyone else had this problem? Do you really nead a written approval from the HOA for Dish to install the 2nd dish?

Nicu

Nicu,
The FCC allows a condo owner to install a dish of no more than 30" without any approval of the homeowners association. The fact that you have a dish already up complicates things. It could very well be that after you get the first dish up, that you may not be able to put up any more if your association doesn't allow for it.

Any chance that a single dish solution would get you all the channels that you need? The FCC regulations were written prior to when the satellite TV providers started using multiple orbital slots which may require multiple dishes.

I had this same problem until our entire building was wired for DirecTv about 3 years ago. Now the problem is that we don't get any of the HD stuff, and the cable company is sueing the satellite TV installed for using the last run of cable for the DirecTv feed.

Let us know how this turns out.

Good luck,
Robert

This link provides guidance for condo owners and renters as to what they can and cannot do regarding the FCC regulations. It is written by someone who is obviously very familiar with the regulations. It seems to indicate that multiple dishes are OK, as long as they are each in compliance with the regulations...

http://www.nmhc.org/Content/ServeFile.cfm?FileID=2824

Robert

Heck, Ive got 3 dishes on my townhouse roof
Dish 500
Dish 300
ExpressVu

There are 2 or 3 of us in the townhouse complex that have 2+ dishes on the roof (including the head of our HOA...that might be why they don't mind) :)

Here is the definitive word from the FCC. Se section 17 in this which states:

"17. Other Restrictions. The Amendments and Additions also include other provisions that violate the Rule, although not highlighted by Petitioner. First, Section VII.A. provides that no more than one antenna may be installed by an owner.39 The Commission has ruled that a restricting entity may not impose an arbitrary limit on the number of antennas a viewer may install, provided that they are necessary to receive the video programming available for reception in the viewer’s viewing area.40"

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-03-2971A1.pdf

If you do a search on the net it appears that most HOA rules are still not in compliance with federal law. Bottom line is that you can install as many antennas as necessary to receive the DBS and OTA signals you wish to receive.

Print out the case law linked in the previous post and show it to your installer. That should settle the matter.

Guys, thanks a lot! I'll print section 17 and show it to the installer.

Nicu

Nicu said:
I live in a condo and had a 2nd dish free installation - for locals - scheduled for this morning. The Dish Network installer showed up but refused to install the dish without a written approval from my Home Owners Association and left. WTF? Anyone else had this problem? Do you really nead a written approval from the HOA for Dish to install the 2nd dish?

Nicu
The law is clear on this matter, but even Dish does not seem to know the law. I manage an apartment community and about once every other month or so, someone comes in to tell me that Dish is demanding a letter of approval from me or else they won't permit a satellite install. Seems to me if they knew the law, they wouldn't ask. I spoke with someone from there once and told them this and was basically told that "well, if you refuse to permit it, we still won't install it". In other words, if you association does not want it, Dish probably won't install it even though the law says they can.
Good Luck!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts