DISH Releases 21 James Bond Flicks in 4K for Holiday Binge-Watching

I noticed my Roku TV plays 4K off Curiosity Stream just fine. That said, while it does look spectacularly sharp, I can't really see the difference from HD even from 6" away.

Edited to add: OK it's fixed. Waiting overnight didn't do squat. Unplugging the HDMI cable and plugging it back in again finally allows the H3 to play Arrival in 4K on my $250 UHD TV.

Last edited:
Unplugging the HDMI cable and plugging it back in again finally allows the H3 to play Arrival in 4K on my $250 UHD TV.

This is really annoying. When I turn the TV off and on again, it loses the ability for the Hopper to switch it to 4K. I suspect the Hisense TV. I wonder if it is updateable? The Roku part updated right away...

By the way, I got my old 1st gen LG BD player connected and tried 3 movies. The Sound of Music looked very grainy up close, and I don't know why. Same with Logan's Run. 2001 played sound but only gave me a black picture. What the heck? I see a new BD player in my future. Do any of them show 4K disks?

Is anybody else having this issue of a 4K TV losing signal instead of switching to 4K as commanded by an H3?

This is really annoying. When I turn the TV off and on again, it loses the ability for the Hopper to switch it to 4K. I suspect the Hisense TV. I wonder if it is updateable? The Roku part updated right away...

By the way, I got my old 1st gen LG BD player connected and tried 3 movies. The Sound of Music looked very grainy up close, and I don't know why. Same with Logan's Run. 2001 played sound but only gave me a black picture. What the heck? I see a new BD player in my future. Do any of them show 4K disks?

It sounds like you are having HDCP handshake issues, usually caused by older HDMI cables that are not capable of reliably transmitting a 4K signal. Get a set of Certified Premium HDMI cables with the hologram on them, they don't have to be expensive as shown here. Monoprice Certified Premium High Speed HDMI Cable, 4K @ 60Hz, HDR, 18Gbps, 28AWG, YUV 4:4:4, 10ft, Black - Monoprice.com

Are those grainy movies old DVDs? If yes, be aware that the weakest part of the less expensive HDTVs is the upscaling function from SD to 4K, no HDTV is great at upscaling a DVD but Sony and Samsung have the reputation of doing the best.

4K BD players are available but still a bit pricey. Sony makes the X800 and X700. LG, Samsung and Panasonic also have 4K players available.

Reactions: TheKrell
It sounds like you are having HDCP handshake issues, usually caused by older HDMI cables that are not capable of reliably transmitting a 4K signal.

Thank you Cheddar_Head, but I'm seriously confused. :confused: If the cable is at fault, then why does unplugging it and plugging it back in again allow the TV to go into 4K mode?

Note that I cannot easily change or even try better HDMI cables since it's in two segments (with wall plate connector) totaling about 30' and running form my Hopper 3 in the basement furnace room up to my family room.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Thank you Cheddar_Head, but I'm seriously confused. :confused: If the cable is at fault, then why does unplugging it and plugging it back in again allow the TV to go into 4K mode?

Note that I cannot easily change or even try better HDMI cables since it's in two segments (with wall plate connector) totaling about 30' and running form my Hopper 3 in the basement furnace room up to my family room.

Doing the unplug/plug shuffle causes the HDCP negotiation to occur which temporarily fixes the problem. a marginal quality cable can then be the reason the HDCP later fails. How or why, not sure but it seems to work that way. The 30' run you have is also problematic and at the far limits of HDMI copper cables. When at the margins of compatibility strange things happen.

I had an older 6' cable that was causing me real issues with my Hopper3, worked most of the time but about once a week the damn thing would have only have audio, doing the unplug/plug would fix the problem only to have it recur later in the week. Replaced with a newer cable and no problem since. Anecdotal, sure, but also a data point plus I accidentally reused the cable on my Sony x800 and had worse problems. That cable went into the trash after that.

Doing the unplug/plug shuffle causes the HDCP negotiation to occur which temporarily fixes the problem.

Why doesn't a renegotiation happen automatically whenever the H3 switches the TV from HD to UHD? :mad: And I wouldn't say this shuffle is "temporary" since it works great until I turn the TV off and on again.

Why doesn't a renegotiation happen automatically whenever the H3 switches the TV from HD to UHD? :mad: And I wouldn't say this shuffle is "temporary" since it works great until I turn the TV off and on again.
You would have to ask the "designers" of HDCP as to why they designed it the way they did. Interesting that powering off/on the TV is the trigger, might be some sort of timeout on the HDCP session and powering on the TV doesn't trigger a new session. My Sony doesn't really turn off and only triggers the HDCP negotiation when I do an AndroidTV reboot or pull the plug. In your case I would be less likely to suspect cable issues BUT as inexpensive as the Monoprice cables are I definitely would try them.

In your case I would be less likely to suspect cable issues BUT as inexpensive as the Monoprice cables are I definitely would try them.

The cables are from Monoprice, though I bought them a few years ago possibly before UHD was widespread. I have no recollection of where I bought the through-the-wall jack.

I've only seen it briefly when I messed with the box as per suggestions here. No 4K since.

Could you clarify SandFarmer? Does "seen it briefly" refer to 4K, or a no signal message on the TV? What keeps you from seeking 4K now? Can't you "mess with the box" and see 4K again?

Could you clarify SandFarmer? Does "seen it briefly" refer to 4K, or a no signal message on the TV? What keeps you from seeking 4K now? Can't you "mess with the box" and see 4K again?

I don't know if it was this thread or another where they announced the you could get 4K from Netfix. Not sure if Youtube was included then. I went to programming I knew was 4K and it was listing and showing as HD only and still is. In the thread it said to do a couple things, which I did and got 4K, for a short time. I then fiddled with the cables on the back and with other approved cables, I think I was the first to discuss and post the Holographic Label on the appropriate cables. Now through the DISH box I no longer get 4K. The cable I am using is the same that I have on my AppleTV 4K that I get 4K UHD HDR off of with no problems.

I have seen several people mention that they would expect the box to do a proper handshake and negotiate 4K. I thought it should do as the ViPs did for you to get 1080p movies and do a "check" and in doing so, a complete handshake. I do have 4K, 1080p or 1080i selected for the Video Resolution. Unless the process is far faster these days, I don't think a proper handshake is being preformed because that's when I would expect the TV to do the "No Signal" thing since they're talking and a signal has yet to be determined. Or being done at all after an initial that provides 4K, but then subsequent sessions the handshake that gives you 4K is as if it never happened. For various reasons I have disconnected the cable to the H3 a couple of times and I did not get the results that I did before.

As I said, really no biggie unless it's something I can only get off DISH. I have many ("many") other options. Although I did get the 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia in 4K UHD HDR, but that's about it. And the TV did take a couple of seconds of black before the recording came on.

Okay, something very strange happened tonight. For the heck of it I thought I would fire up Netflix on the DISH box. So it fired up like it normally does for a second then the screen went black. When it came back up everything on the screen was severely pixelated. I started looking around and saw a couple of things labeled Ultra HD. Then all of a sudden the screen went black again and came back crystal clear and everything was marked HD. I started looking around again and one by one the resolution designation on programs started popping up is Ultra HD again. So I went into one earlier that started out Ultra HD change to HD and then changed back and it played Ultra HD in 4k.

I have no idea where this came from or why it's happening all of a sudden, but what's going on, I don't mind it.

Sent from my SM-T280 using the SatelliteGuys app!

I wish Hopper 3 had an option where you can sort films by release date. I created a separate folder for all these Bond films Im recording (never checked out the Connery films. Started with Moore when I was a kid), but I have to consult with Wikipedia to see which film came first chronologically.

Reactions: pattykay
Is that 21 James Bonds or 21 movies?

Sent from my S61Pro using Tapatalk
Thread is 5 years old and you were the original poster of it.
IMG_0284.jpeg