DISH Reports 25,000 NET Sub Loss In 2Q = 13.79M Subs

FCom911

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 25, 2008
BREAKING NEWS: DISH Reports Sub Loss in 2Q

(SkyReport) DISH Network reported this morning that it lost about 25,000 net subscribers in the second quarter, taking its customer total to 13.79 million at the end of the three-month period.

For comparison, in the first quarter, DISH Network reported that it netted 35,000 customers, for a total of 13.815 million. In second quarter 2007, the company added 170,000 net new subscribers, ending the period with approximately 13.585 million subscribers.

The company said revenue totaled $2.91 billion for second quarter 2008, a 5.6 percent increase when compared to $2.76 billion for the corresponding period in 2007.

Net income for the second quarter was $336 million, compared to $224 million for the corresponding period in 2007.

(This is the condensed version)

There's already a thread opened with this very topic. Why open another? It's on the homepage under news! You can't miss it!!

Again, many of us rarely venture out of The Dish Network Forum... Bookmarking it directly... Its Dish news.

We've debated this previously... Not to be rude.

And not be rude either, but it's listed in the Dish Network forum.

I looked but didn't see it. That's why I posted it. If you're referring to the 'Earnings Call', that's an awful lot to read through just to get to the basic facts.

Again, there's no intent on 'one-upmanship' (is that even a word?) here. ;)

LOL. I apologize, I think I was wrong. And that is a lot to read thru. I just hate reading multiple threads.

On the other hand, what do you think about Dish? I'm a firm believer that numbers don't always paint a clear picture. Dish have always been reasonable with me. Albeit, CSRs are usually knowledgeless.

I appreciate your point-of-view. I was only trying to play devil's advocate on the satellite/space junk post. I'm a free thinker and don't mind expressing my views, even if they may be wrong or unpopular.:)

LOL. I apologize, I think I was wrong. And that is a lot to read thru. I just hate reading multiple threads.

On the other hand, what do you think about Dish? I'm a firm believer that numbers don't always paint a clear picture. Dish have always been reasonable with me. Albeit, CSRs are usually knowledgeless.

I appreciate your point-of-view. I was only trying to play devil's advocate on the satellite/space junk post. I'm a free thinker and don't mind expressing my views, even if they may be wrong or unpopular.:)

Cool ;)

I think you can say what ever you want regarding numbers in 'Earnings Calls', but what you actually report to the SEC, better be the damn truth! You don't spin them...

I think Charlie has his work cut out for him... he got cheap, in regards to customer support, programming, etc... and now he's paying for it. Revenues are up from same quarter last year, yet net subs are down by 25K.

One thing I want to bring up, my Senior TSR said, subs are still very pissed about the loss of Voom, and he hears it every single day... I was surprised to hear people are still asking... BTW, he thinks close to 40% of all Dish clients are HD, and 50% of those are 'HD Only'.

I believe the culmination of net sub loses is represented in failures related to almost every aspect of Dish's operations. Its going to be an uphill climb... He's going to have to sweeten the pot somehow to draw more subs... as increasing fees will simply lead to more attrition.

Consider this as well... the average DirecTV customer pays around $85 per month, while the average Dish customer averages around $65 per month... yet revenues are up for Dish while net subs are down... go figure!!!

Hey I agree on the Voom thing. I ran into a gentlemen in his 70's walking by my house, saw my direct and dish dishes. Asked about both services and said he was leaving Dish for Direct because they got rid of Voom. I was surprised. I also had a Dish Service Tech here a couple of weeks ago, he was Russian and spoke very broken English. I didn't understand most of what he said. He saw a saved show on my receiver, Eye of Germany from Equator, when he saw that he went into a tirade and the jist was he was very upset that Voom was gone.

Hey I agree on the Voom thing. I ran into a gentlemen in his 70's walking by my house, saw my direct and dish dishes. Asked about both services and said he was leaving Dish for Direct because they got rid of Voom. I was surprised. I also had a Dish Service Tech here a couple of weeks ago, he was Russian and spoke very broken English. I didn't understand most of what he said. He saw a saved show on my receiver, Eye of Germany from Equator, when he saw that he went into a tirade and the jist was he was very upset that Voom was gone.

Dude! That's one smokin' avatar!!! :p Sweeeeeet!!! LOL!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts