Dish *requires* a technician visit just to add an additional Joey?? Really?!?!?! URGH!!!!

Even though they may not rip everything out and replace all cabling etc... that is the reason why they don't allow for the equipment to be shipped. Because there are too many unknown variables that could cause problem, along with the majority of people really having no idea what they are doing. I'm sure just about everyone here could install it themselves with no issues, I don't think the company is going to change their stance on that because of the fact that they would problably end up eating the cost in the end due to tech visits regarding the self installs.

navychop said:
Smartphones have a feature to help INCREASE misspellings.

Agreed. Sometimes autocorrect is very irritating. It's a love-hate relationship.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using SatelliteGuys

Extra Joey is $7 a month or $84 a year plus $90 to send someone out to install. Just buy an RF modulator at Radio Shack and connect it to the existing Hopper or Joey - yellow red white connector and run coax to the kids room. They share what is being watched. Saves a ton of money. You can also buy an extra remote cheap on eBay or just share the remote rom any room.

When’s the last time you saw a Dish tech or any cable company or satellite technician come in a completely rip out all cabling, connectors, etc to replace it with 'company-approved' cable and connectors as part of S.O.P.: never.
Your argument doesn't hold water but thanks for your opinion.
Any techs care to comment ?

Dish did it at my house (went from a 522 to a 622 and had no technical reason to replace it), in fact. Another time, I had a service call and the tech cut off EVERY SINGLE Dish-approved and supplied connectors and replaced them.

It's kinda idiotic to use words like "never" when you don't know what you're talking about...

Any techs care to comment ?

Dish did it at my house (went from a 522 to a 622 and had no technical reason to replace it), in fact. Another time, I had a service call and the tech cut off EVERY SINGLE Dish-approved and supplied connectors and replaced them.

It's kinda idiotic to use words like "never" when you don't know what you're talking about...
the FSM who did my hopper install made sure only new cable was used between the dish, node, and hoppers. They ripped out all the existing RG6 that wasn't properly rated or marked Dish. Of course the Hopper system also has some more stringent requirments from Dish about using 3Ghz rated cable between the node and hoppers.

It's easier to cut it all off and start from scratch with a Hopper. That way I know its done properly and you the customer is happy. We don't want trouble calls or bad Customer service scores. Do I do it at every job..No just when needed

My installer reused coax/connectors I already had but I knew already that they would work fine so saved him the trouble. He appreciated it plus I did half of his job for him. Both Joeys were temperamental (typical factory firmware issues) so that took up the majority of the time. After he replaced the Joeys everything has been A. O. K.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using SatelliteGuys

3 years ago:
DirectTv guy was too large to fit through my 2'x2' attic hole and wanted to run a cable across my ceiling and drop it down in the corner of a wall by the TV. Attic work area was 5' tall in center. I pulled the wire myself and fed it through the wall for the DTV tech.

2 months ago:
Notified Dish techs I had 3gig quad shield rg6 installed. They left it in place and just plugged in the hopper. I had installed my DirectTv dish on a pole mount in my back yard after I inspected the installers work a few months after installation. He put 10-12 holes in my roof and didn't seal any of them. Dish just slid a pole into the larger diameter pole and used self-tapping screws to tighten the pole down. No issues once the node was installed.

I really think the ones that say they should be able to do it on their own should try being Dish retailers and installers. I'll bet after you allow a few people to do it themselves you will never do it again. As a business you need to protect yourself and the best way is to do the work with our own techs. At least if there is a screw up I know it's our screw up.

One of the reasons some of you do not want a tech to do it is because you do not trust them and you prefer to do it yourselves. That is how retailers feel. This is our equipment and our business and we do not want it represented by someone else. It's our responsibility even if you did install it, UNLESS you purchase it. If you want freedom to do as you wish with it just purchase it. I have no problem selling a person a reciever and any other equipment they need if they wish to do it themselves. Most times they call asking for our help anyway.

Just but a joey from a retailer for $100 bucks and plug it in. Doesn't need to be activated to get programming. Save yourself 7 bucks a month.

And that pole inside a pole with self tapping screws to hold it in place is a job fail. Not that it won't work, but the installer is playing QAS roulette in that situation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts